Please Rate aWA

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Please Rate aWA

by asamanta » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:38 pm
Analysis of Issue:

"Whether promoting a product, an event or a person, an advertising campaign is most effective when it appeals to emotions rather than to reason"

Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the opinion expressed above. State your position with specific reasons and/or examples from your reading, your observations or readings.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with the above statement that an advertising campaign would be most effective when it appeals people's emotions. I believe so because, when an advertisement appeals to an individual's emotions, that individual experiences a feeling of comfert and warmth, which make the individual associate the advertised product, event or person with himself or herself. There are several reasons why this might happen as I have stated below.

Firtly I think an advertisement appealing to emotions can make a person feel nostalgic at times. The viewer of the add might just go back in time and form a sort of connection between the product being advertised and the good old products of his or her time. The advertising campaign for the Life Insurance Corporation of India uses a similar stratergy whereby the advertisement shows the life of an individual transforming from childhood to retirement, passing through a series of events experienced by the common man. The advertisement creates a feeling of caring and understanding in people. The advertisement was voted as the most effective add in the magazine "India Today" and also helped the company increase its sales in the years it was advertised.

Secondly the basic idea of an advertisement is to make people aware of a product or person or event. Advertisements that appeal to emotions often become more popular because people talk about them. For example, I recall everyone talking about the Vodaphone advertisement in which a little girl is helped by her pet dog in all her daily tasks. The tagline for the advertisement is "to help people in everyday life."

Advertisements that appeal to reason makes people feel the need for a product but people generally do not remember the add beyond the 30 or 60 second interval of its airing. Therefore in conclusion I would like to restate that advertising campaigns for products, events or people are most effective they appeal to emotions tather than to reason.