GMAT 530-(Q43,V21)- how to increase the score

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
HEY, I TOOK GMAT TODAY GOT GMAT 530-(Q43,V21) !!

I want to improve my score . Could you pls suggest me a course that would help me improve the score..

Thanks

Legendary Member
Followed by:20 members

by sana.noor » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:17 am
hey i am also preparing for gmat, i scored 380 in my first attempt because i wasnt aware of what gmat is?? i just go through with sat math portion without any information regarding time management and its importance for gmat? i will repeat my gmat in next 3 months, this forum is very important as it will help u to understand how to fix ur problems and how to beat gmat, i will suggest you few books and they are really great
1) MANHATTAN GMAT,
2) OFFICIAL GUIDE 10TH, 11TH, 12TH AND 13TH EDITION,
3) KAPLAN,
4) PRINCETON REVIEW,
5) AND GMAT BIBLE
i wasnt familiar with these books when i first appeared for my gmat, english isnt my native language and i faced a lot of issues in verbal section...however, i have improved a lot after reading manhattan verbal guide and english grammar by wren and martin, still working on few issues..i havnt started math preparation, just focusing on english for at least 2 to 3 weeks..good luck for ur exam

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Ashim88 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:19 pm
First off, that is a terrible recommendation - to recommend all those editions of OG. I believe 75% of the 13th edition's problems are identical to the 12th edition. There was an article about this. Second, do not take advice from a guy who scored a 380. Third, Kaplan and Princeton Review are not generally considered "the best" in prep materials amongst GMAT students.

To the original poster....clearly you have a solid grasp on QUANT, you need only to focus on verbal for a "good" GMAT score.

Verbal recommendations:
PowerScore Critical Reasoning Bible
Manhattan GMAT Sentence Correction strategy guide & Reading Comprehension strategy guide
www.magoosh.com (verbal)

Legendary Member
Followed by:70 members

by karthikpandian19 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:35 pm
I would strongly suggest you to go with the Manhattan Strategy guides and OG 12 or 13 along side to solve problems.

OG questions are good and not explanations (In my opinion), so this BTG community is THE BEST PLACE for getting right explanations.

Refer the link below for the guides
https://www.beatthegmat.com/manhattan-st ... 13618.html

ABCDXYZ wrote:HEY, I TOOK GMAT TODAY GOT GMAT 530-(Q43,V21) !!

I want to improve my score . Could you pls suggest me a course that would help me improve the score..

Thanks
Regards,
Karthik
The source of the questions that i post from JUNE 2013 is from KNEWTON

---If you find my post useful, click "Thank" :) :)---
---Never stop until cracking GMAT---

GMAT Score:720

by mirfan2 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:25 pm
Ashim88 wrote:First off, that is a terrible recommendation - to recommend all those editions of OG. I believe 75% of the 13th edition's problems are identical to the 12th edition. There was an article about this. Second, do not take advice from a guy who scored a 380. Third, Kaplan and Princeton Review are not generally considered "the best" in prep materials amongst GMAT students.

To the original poster....clearly you have a solid grasp on QUANT, you need only to focus on verbal for a "good" GMAT score.

Verbal recommendations:
PowerScore Critical Reasoning Bible
Manhattan GMAT Sentence Correction strategy guide & Reading Comprehension strategy guide
www.magoosh.com (verbal)
Chill out...I think she is a girl, so you got it wrong (no brownie points :)) Additionally, you shouldn't rub it on someone who got a 380, I had scored in the low 400s and recently I got a 720.
Having a bad G-day doesn't preclude Sana from dispensing advice. We all have our ups and downs, but remember we're all in this together.
I have had my share of bumps, but I managed to climb the mountain. If you do disagree, keep the spirit of this forum, please do so respectfully.

ABCDXYZ - Ok back to the subject of a low verbal score. You may need to take a step back and work on some of the basic stuff in order to fully engage with more advanced material. I suggest that you purchase MGMAT Verbal foundations guide (by Jen Dziura) and complete the associated online diagnostic tests to drill down on your weaknesses. In order get more practice, you can try Kaplan verbal workbook, which has a good chunk of 500-600 level questions.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2009/11/ ... ook-review
I have recommended these two books because you need to ensure that you have a good grasp of the basics before you move on to MGMAT guide (SC,CR,RC). Stacey has rewritten the new CR guide (5th Ed) , but powerscore CR bible is still the Gold standard. For SC you can choose either MGMAT or Aristotle SC grail, I would recommend MGMAT because its more in-depth as compared to Aristotle. Additionally, all these guides are the intermediate step, final frontier are the OGs (OG13 and V2). For every topic that you learn from your SC or CR/RC guides, you must be able to do associated OG questions with decent accuracy to bring that verbal score up.

by urshohini » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:13 pm
mirfan2 wrote: For SC you can choose either MGMAT or Aristotle SC grail, I would recommend MGMAT because its more in-depth as compared to Aristotle. Additionally, all these guides are the intermediate step, final frontier are the OGs (OG13 and V2). For every topic that you learn from your SC or CR/RC guides, you must be able to do associated OG questions with decent accuracy to bring that verbal score up.
I agree with the above suggestions. MGMAT SC is a great source for getting a grasp on the basics. i would also suggest you to try out GMAT Pill SC videos, in case you are a fan of online videos and have a time constraint( due to full time job etc). The videos are great in explaining core concepts w/o using much fancy terms. SC Pill seems to be a favorite among lot of aspirants already, so you might want to give it a thought. Check out the free videos posted on the website.

Legendary Member
Followed by:20 members

by sana.noor » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:00 am
thanks mirfan2, first! recommending all edition doesn't mean the person has to go through all books, i simply wrote because every edition of OG is good and practicing any two books is enough. second! i dont wana say anything to ashim88 because i believe the test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones. (: