Attorney

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Attorney

by vikram_k51 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:33 am
692. The attorney turned down the law firm's offer of a position because she suspected that it was meant merely to fill an affirmative action quota with no commitment to minority hiring and eventually promoting.

(A) quota with no commitment to minority hiring and eventually promoting
(B) quota, having no commitment to minority hiring and eventually promoting
(C) quota and did not reflect a commitment to minority hiring and eventual promotion
(D) quota, not reflecting a commitment to minority hiring and eventual promotion
(E) quota, not one that reflected that minority hiring and eventual promotion was a commitment

OA C

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by rookiez » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:30 am
(A) quota with no commitment to minority hiring and eventually promoting
Promoting what??
(B) quota, having no commitment to minority hiring and eventually promoting
Promoting what??
(C) quota and did not reflect a commitment to minority hiring and eventual promotion
Parallel verbs meant and did not reflect
(D) quota, not reflecting a commitment to minority hiring and eventual promotion
similar to E
(E) quota, not one that reflected that minority hiring and eventual promotion was a commitment
Wordy, appositive phrase makes sentence fragment

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by agautam7879 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:53 pm
no reflecting is a participle modifier and is modifying the it which is the subject of the clause next to the participle modifier and hence I am still confused between C and D

Legendary Member
Followed by:21 members

by vk_vinayak » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:59 pm
agautam7879 wrote:no reflecting is a participle modifier and is modifying the it which is the subject of the clause next to the participle modifier and hence I am still confused between C and D
I understand your question, but I think C looks better.

We can see that COMMA + ING is modifying the sub-clause it (the law firm's offer of a position) was meant merely to fill an affirmative action quota, but technically it could refer to the entire proceeding clause (The attorney ... quota). Hence I believe C is better.
- VK

I will (Learn. Recognize. Apply)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:62 members

by KapTeacherEli » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:53 pm
vk_vinayak wrote:
agautam7879 wrote:no reflecting is a participle modifier and is modifying the it which is the subject of the clause next to the participle modifier and hence I am still confused between C and D
I understand your question, but I think C looks better.

We can see that COMMA + ING is modifying the sub-clause it (the law firm's offer of a position) was meant merely to fill an affirmative action quota, but technically it could refer to the entire proceeding clause (The attorney ... quota). Hence I believe C is better.
Good summary, and that's absolutely correct. The "not reflecting" doesn't clearly modify what it's meant to modify. It MIGHT modify the right thing, but the construction is so awkward that it just might not. (C) doesn't require any sort of interpretations--it clearly means what it's meant to mean, so it's the stylistically superior choice.
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage