Application process

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Application process

by ankita1709 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:27 pm
I gave my GMAT a week back.. got 710. Now I have to start applying in various colleges. Please help me on how to start and what things I should take care of before I start applying.
Ankita

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by youngjames » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:59 am
Hi Ankita,
Congrats on completing the GMAT and obtaining a great score! You should be very proud of yourself and you are positioned well for many top programs. Bear in mind, as you work through the admissions process, that there are many elements to a successful application. Your first step is an obvious and that will be to figure out which schools you want to apply to. From there, obtain the applications and start thinking through your approach.

To help candidates present the best picture of their application, I wrote this article awhile back: https://www.thefirstread.com/the-admissi ... plication/

Hope that's helpful
-james young
www.TheFirstRead.com
A new approach to MBA Admissions consulting

Followed by:10 members

by myEssayReview » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:24 am
Congrats on your 700+ score.You have successfully taken care of one part of the application package.

Your question: Please help me on how to start and what things I should take care of before I start applying.

Yes, it's time for you to begin shortlisting schools that you want to apply to. The selection of schools will depend on what your priorities and goals are and which schools would match your needs/ interests. For this, you will need to research the schools .

As you are aware,an applicant's candidacy is determined by a variety of components : GMAT score, GPA, work experience, non-work activities,resume, recommendation letters, and essays. So begin approaching your recommenders early on so they get time to work on your recos.

After finalizing your schools, begin working on your essays. Essays play a critical role in showcasing your candidacy. B-Schools require candidates to write essays on different topics because they want to assess them for their professional (work ethic , team working and leadership skills, problem solving skills etc. )and personal attributes (honesty, integrity, self discipline,ability to work in different cultural environments etc.)So you need to do some reflection to understand which qualities define you and how you can substantiate them through real life-examples. Begin documenting your accomplishments at work.(You haven't written any thing about your work experience, extra curricular/ community experience.)

So you have a lot of things to take care of , Ankita.

If you have any questions feel free to email me at [email protected]

If you find my post helpful, please let me know by pushing the thank button.

Best of luck,

Poonam

Followed by:11 members

by PrepMBA.AlexLeventhal » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:01 am
A good place to start is going to some of the MBA rankings to investigate schools and their gmat/gpa averages. Try Business Week, US World News or the Financial Times for a more international slate of schools.

Welcome to the start of the process. Read and research!
Alex Leventhal
Harvard MBA, 1998
Prep MBA Admissions Consulting
www.prepmba.com
[email protected]
(323)424.3178