SC - Simple one

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:70 members

SC - Simple one

by karthikpandian19 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:06 pm
Many towns and cities along the Teays valley system use the river as their main water supply, layers of gravel and sand that line the system protect this important source of clean and abundant groundwater.

(A) as their main water supply, layers of gravel and sand that line the system

(B) as their main water supply layers of gravel and sand that line the system

(C) as their main water supply. Because layers of gravel, and sand that line the system

(D) as their main water supply, because the layers of gravel and sand that line the system

(E) as their main water supply, the system is lined by layers of gravel and sand which
Regards,
Karthik
The source of the questions that i post from JUNE 2013 is from KNEWTON

---If you find my post useful, click "Thank" :) :)---
---Never stop until cracking GMAT---

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by 1947 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:22 pm
karthikpandian19 wrote:Many towns and cities along the Teays valley system use the river as their main water supply, layers of gravel and sand that line the system protect this important source of clean and abundant groundwater.

(A) as their main water supply, layers of gravel and sand that line the system

(B) [color=][color=red]as their main water supply layers of gravel and sand that line [/color]the system
[/color]
(C) as their main water supply. Because layers of gravel, and sand that line the system

(D) as their main water supply, because the layers of gravel and sand that line the system

(E) as their main water supply, the system is lined by layers of gravel and sand which
E is correct...please share OA and explanation
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button. Thanks

GMAT Score:610

by karthikgmat » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:27 pm
is it C?

Legendary Member

by karthikpandian19 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:23 pm
OA is D
Regards,
Karthik

Legendary Member

by karthikpandian19 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:32 pm
Answer explanation for D below:

Many towns and cities along the Teays valley system use the river as their main water supply,
First part of the sentence

layers of gravel and sand that line the system protect this important source of clean and abundant groundwater
Second part of the sentence

Both the parts seems to miss the logical link - "conjunction"

Many towns and cities along the Teays valley system use the river as their main water supply, layers of gravel and sand that line the system protect this important source of clean and abundant groundwater.

(A) as their main water supply, layers of gravel and sand that line the system - Logical link is missing and the statements of IC (independent clauses) are linked by comma only - Incorrect

(B) as their main water supply layers of gravel and sand that line the system - Run on sentence

(C) as their main water supply. Because layers of gravel, and sand that line the system - Use of conjunction in the stand alone sentence make it a DC missing its IC

(D) as their main water supply, because the layers of gravel and sand that line the system - Perfect sentence linked with the conjunction and separated by comma

(E) as their main water supply, the system is lined by layers of gravel and sand which - Logical link is missing and the statements of IC (independent clauses) are linked by comma only - Incorrect
Regards,
Karthik

by 1947 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:20 am
karthikpandian19 wrote:Answer explanation for D below:

Many towns and cities along the Teays valley system use the river as their main water supply,
First part of the sentence

layers of gravel and sand that line the system protect this important source of clean and abundant groundwater
Second part of the sentence

Both the parts seems to miss the logical link - "conjunction"

(A) as their main water supply, layers of gravel and sand that line the system - Logical link is missing and the statements of IC (independent clauses) are linked by comma only - Incorrect

(B) as their main water supply layers of gravel and sand that line the system - Run on sentence

(C) as their main water supply. Because layers of gravel, and sand that line the system - Use of conjunction in the stand alone sentence make it a DC missing its IC

(D) as their main water supply, because the layers of gravel and sand that line the system - Perfect sentence linked with the conjunction and separated by comma

(E) as their main water supply, the system is lined by layers of gravel and sand which - Logical link is missing and the statements of IC (independent clauses) are linked by comma only - Incorrect
I got confused by:
Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species
of the world's social wasps,wasps that live in a highly cooperative and
organized society.

and chose D.
Thought that second wasp is doing the same thing as the second system in the sentence I shared.
This is OG problem.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:192 members
GMAT Score:780

by Bill@VeritasPrep » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:45 am
Where is this from? D doesn't need a comma before "because."
Join Veritas Prep's 2010 Instructor of the Year, Matt Douglas for GMATT Mondays

Visit the Veritas Prep Blog

Try the FREE Veritas Prep Practice Test

Legendary Member

by karthikpandian19 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:29 pm
Bill,

This post is from Knewton and the explanation that i found for your question is :

A dependent clause can be set off from the rest of a sentence with a comma. Coordinating conjunctions (FANBOYS) are the only conjunctions that can link independent clauses, but subordinating conjunctions (like "because") introduce subordinate clauses, and on the GMAT, you might see a comma before a subordinate clause. Note that the GMAT does not test punctuation, except in the case of run-on sentences/fragments and lists. So as long as you can spot run-on sentences/sentence fragments and are clear on comma use as it applies to lists, you don't need to worry too much about comma use on the GMAT.
Bill@VeritasPrep wrote:Where is this from? D doesn't need a comma before "because."
Regards,
Karthik

by 1947 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:50 pm
Bill@VeritasPrep wrote:Where is this from? D doesn't need a comma before "because."
Bill, can you please shed some light on usage of wasps in below sentence...when are we allowed to pluck a word from IC and write about it.

Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world's social wasps,wasps that live in a highly cooperative and organized society.

by 1947 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:56 pm
Found a good article on sentence structure; it explains usage of various clauses together.

https://www.towson.edu/ows/sentences.htm

by 1947 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:01 pm
articles summarizes as:
CONNECTORS--COMPOUND AND COMPLEX SENTENCES

Two independent clauses may be joined by
1. Coordinating conjunctions (FANBOYS) Ic, and ic
2. Conjunctive adverbs Ic; therefore, ic.

A dependent (subordinate) clause may be introduced by
1. Subordinating conjunctions (ADVERB CLAUSE) Dc, ic. or Ic dc.
2. Relative pronouns (ADJECTIVE CLAUSE) I, dc, c. or I dc c.
3. Relative pronoun, subordinating conjunctions, or adverbs (NOUN CLAUSE)

but how to decide when to join a DC and IC with COMMA and when without a COMMA

Legendary Member

by karthikpandian19 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:35 pm
Particularly in this sentence, if the second "wasp" is not there ,then it will refer to the social wasps and not the wasps. Thats what i infer from here
1947 wrote:
Bill, can you please shed some light on usage of wasps in below sentence...when are we allowed to pluck a word from IC and write about it.

Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world's social wasps,wasps that live in a highly cooperative and organized society.
Regards,
Karthik

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:192 members
GMAT Score:780

by Bill@VeritasPrep » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:17 am
1947 wrote:

"Wasps" is used to create an appositive phrase (a modifier that starts with a noun) referring to "social wasps." Grammatically, it's fine, though a bit redundant. You could easily avoid the redundancy issue by using a relative clause.
Join Veritas Prep's 2010 Instructor of the Year, Matt Douglas for GMATT Mondays

Visit the Veritas Prep Blog

Try the FREE Veritas Prep Practice Test

Legendary Member

by karthikpandian19 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:49 pm
Bill,

But is there a implied difference in the sentence for the social wasp and wasp?
Bill@VeritasPrep wrote:
1947 wrote:

"Wasps" is used to create an appositive phrase (a modifier that starts with a noun) referring to "social wasps." Grammatically, it's fine, though a bit redundant. You could easily avoid the redundancy issue by using a relative clause.
Regards,
Karthik