Starting over again for the 3rd time.

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:500

Starting over again for the 3rd time.

by Rastis » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:52 am
Well I'm starting over again with my GMAT prep for the third time. I got a 460 on my test in April and quit the idea of the GMAT altogether until now. After going through my books for the first time since it certainly seems that the material is a lot harder this time around, even when going through the basics in the math. I'm not sure I've hated anything so much in my life than this test but it's something that must be conquered if I'm going to get into any respectable business school.

Anyone have any advice on how to do better the 3rd time around? I'm looking to apply in the first round this fall.

Jesse

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by iwillsurvive101 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:08 pm
I am in the exact same boat. Looking to do well for the third time. I can't offer you a lot of advice, but I can tell you what I am doing this time around:

-- I have tried to open up my mind for ideas and tried to make it as flexible as I can to appreciate "shifts". For ex: I am politically "savy" person and I have my set of opinions. When I read news paper and when I read a journalist write about something that I don't like/agree with, I generally have a very criticizing attitude. Now, I am trying to change that by thinking about other "angles" of the issue. This has helped me a bit(IMHO).

-- I am trying to pick up where I left. So, I am going through all of my earlier notes, tests, and strategies before I pick up anything else. I decided to allocate 10 days to "get back" and its already 15, but IMA complete it by this weekend and pick up couple of topics and start drilling them through next week.

Followed by:1 members

by bkw » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:47 am
Hi!

What was your score for Quant and Verbal?

Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:500

by Rastis » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:51 am
29Q, 25V :oops:

Followed by:1 members

by bkw » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:20 am
Ok, you need to repeat the foundations. For instance go through the MGMAT quant books

Then do tons of Quant problems. I mean you should target at 40-100 problems a day under paced conditions, and log all those you get wrong. You will have to reiterate your error log more than once to make sure you never fail on a similar problem again. If you notice a pattern in problem types you struggle with, then you will have to look more into that.

You should be able to prac lots of quant with any company online once you know then foundations, mgmat are known for their hard but fair math.

If you work hard, you should be able to improve that quant score significantly.

Good luck!