Fragments

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:70 members

Fragments

by karthikpandian19 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:01 pm
This is a kind of practice question: This is easy for your GMAT prep on SC

Which of the following is NOT a fragment?

(A) Flying from New York to North Carolina, Betsy, always bringing her good-luck charms, a rabbit's foot and a rubber duck.

(B) When the pen, a black and metal item purchased at the stationary store, ran out of ink.

(C) During the violent storm, which ruined homes, the wind, which blew the chimney off of my house, reached record speeds.

(D) An athlete who was born in Venezuela but raised in the United States, able to speak both Spanish and English.

(E) If Maurice really wanted to be a cowboy, then giving up his former ambition to become a rockstar and to dye his hair blonde.
Regards,
Karthik
The source of the questions that i post from JUNE 2013 is from KNEWTON

---If you find my post useful, click "Thank" :) :)---
---Never stop until cracking GMAT---

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by 1947 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:34 pm
C
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button. Thanks

Legendary Member

by karthikpandian19 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:36 pm
Please provide your reasoning for C
1947 wrote:C
Regards,
Karthik

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by 1947 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:49 pm
karthikpandian19 wrote:This is a kind of practice question: This is easy for your GMAT prep on SC

(A) Flying from New York to North Carolina, Betsy, always bringing her good-luck charms, a rabbit's foot and a rubber duck......should be brings

(B) When the pen, a black and metal item purchased at the stationary store, ran out of ink. ....presence of when the .....make it feel that some thing is missing.

(C) During the violent storm, which ruined homes, the wind, which blew the chimney off of my house, reached record speeds. .......remove the non essential modifiers and then sentence becomes

During the violent storm the wind reached record speeds.........this is a complete sentence

(D) An athlete who was born in Venezuela but raised in the United States, able to speak both Spanish and English.

(E) If Maurice really wanted to be a cowboy, then giving up his former ambition to become a rockstar and to dye his hair blonde.
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button. Thanks

Legendary Member

by karthikpandian19 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:04 pm
OA is C
Regards,
Karthik

Legendary Member

by karthikpandian19 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:08 pm

(A) Flying from New York to North Carolina, Betsy, always bringing her good-luck charms, a rabbit's foot and a rubber duck. - no main verb in the sentence

(B) When the pen, a black and metal item purchased at the stationary store, ran out of ink. - Only Dependent clauses are over here

(C) During the violent storm, which ruined homes, the wind, which blew the chimney off of my house, reached record speeds. - Correct formation with main verb

(D) An athlete who was born in Venezuela but raised in the United States, able to speak both Spanish and English. - Helping verb "was" is missing, making the sentence miss out for the main verb

(E) If Maurice really wanted to be a cowboy, then giving up his former ambition to become a rockstar and to dye his hair blonde. - No main verb in this sentence
Regards,
Karthik