Profile Evaluation - GMAT 720

Launched June 1, 2012
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation - GMAT 720

by varunkbvp » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:01 am
hi all,

gave my gmat few weeks ago..got 720(Q48 V41, AWA 6). Now faced with the question - which schools am i looking at with this score and my profile!?

Profile:

male/23/ Indian

Undergrad: ( B. E. -Chemical Engineering) - from Manipal Institute of Technology (among the top 15 colgs in India) - 2010
- graduated summa cum laude

Masters: (M. Tech. - Energy Studies) - from IIT Delhi ( among the top 3 colgs in India) - 2012
- gpa of 8.63/10 ( among the top 5 on the class)
- completing the course in may 2012

GMAT: 720 - Q48 (80th percentile) and V41(92nd percentile), AWA (6)

Work Ex: None as of yet. Aiming to apply for Fall 2014.
- Gonna work as a Consultant in one of the Big 4 consulting firms from June 2012 ( So can clock in 2 years work
ex. by the time of applying to colgs)

Projects:
- conducted an energy audit of a petroleum refinery for 6 months, the observations and sugestions of which resulted in significant savings for the refinery. (Undergrad project)
- developed a new diesel fuel (diesel microemulsion fuel) as a part of Masters thesis.

Extra Curriculars:
Positions of Responsibility:
- Was the President of the Student Council during Under Grad. - work involved conducting fests, student welfare activites, community service activities, etc.)
- Management Captain of a team that designed and built a baja to take part in the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) International Baja Competition 2009 (ranked 62nd out of 120). Work involved procuring funds for the project, advertising, budgeting and a lot of co-ordinating with the colg authorities.
- Secretary of a National Technical Club (Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers)
- M. Tech. Representative in the Students Affairs Council during Graduation ( Masters program)

Sports:
- a career in free style skating (1995 to 2004)- won national level prizes (gold - 11, silver - 8, bronze -6)
- badminton player - member of the colg team during Under Grad.
- Chess: ranked 16th in the state level open chess tournament

Could you pls give me an idea as to which schools could i consider "safe" or competitive or stretch with this profile and a 720 on the gmat?? I am very keen to pursue an mba in technology management or human resource development.

Thanks!!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members

by Shawn@StratusPrep » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:58 pm
Varunkbvp,

Congrats on your extraordinary academic accomplishments at Manipal, IIT Delhi and on the GMAT. It's also really awesome that you developed a new fuel as part of your Masters work. Congrats also on landing a position with one of the Big 4 consulting firms. Stratus Prep works with hundreds of MBA applicants each year and those from consulting are typically some of the best prepared and most successful.

From a quantitative standpoint, you are well positioned to compete at the world's top business schools including HBS, Stanford, Wharton and INSEAD.

However, remember that admissions to top business schools is as much a qualitative as quantitative process. So you will want to be sure to continue your strong record of accomplishments in your consulting work. Try to get as much international experience across a wide variety of industries and functions if you can. Take on leadership positions inside the firm and in community organizations. All of this is absolutely essential if you are going to be successful at the top tier schools.

About 6-9 months before you apply, you should also consider retaining an admissions counselor who has extensive experience working with Indian applicants. Each year Stratus Prep works with numerous Indian applicants from around the world and this year our Indian clients were admitted to HBS, Wharton, INSEAD, and MIT among other schools. Given the number of applicants applying from Indian and the Indian diaspora, it is critical that you work with someone who has a proven track record at successfully differentiating applicants with a background similar to your own. I would be happy to speak with you at your convenience about how Stratus Prep might be able to help you reach your MBA goals (some applicants retain us 1-2 years in advance to coach them through the development of their profile as well - we offer this option at no additional charge).

Finally, below is a list of schools that are strong in technology/HR management grouped by Stretch, Competitive, and Safety.

Stretch:
- Stanford

Competitive:
- HBS

- INSEAD

- Wharton

Safety:
- Columbia

- Haas

- Tuck

Super Safety:
- Tepper (at Carnegie Mellon)