Three critical reasoning assumptions questions for practice:

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
1.The goal of fluoridation is to prevent tooth decay by adjusting the levels of fluoride concentration in public drinking water.However,recent World health organisation report has estimated that 41% of american adolescents aged 12 and 15 have dental fluorosis,indicated by white or brown patches on the teeth.An initiative to improve public health has ironically resulted in lower dental health,forcing the food and drug administration to reduce fluoride levels by close to 50% in some areas.

Which of the following is one of the assumptions on which the argument is based on?

A.dental flurosis is a condition that predominantly affects teenagers and not adults.
B.Adjusting the levels of fluoride concentration had always led to an increase in fluoride in water.
C.White or brown patches do not necessarily indicate tooth decay.
D.All the adolescents who suffered from dental flurosis live in the areas where the FDA has reduced the fluoride levels.
E.Dental fluorosis is a condition that can be contacted only by the consumption of fluoride high water.

2."Newsweekly", a leading magazine conducted a survey of all its readers to gauge reading patterns.The single most important factor determining magazine purchase was the presence of local news.Based on the input,the magazine increased its focus on local news,in order to increase circulation.

Which of the following assumptions most underlies the magazine's increased focus on local news.

A.The survey was conducted as objectively as possible by a neutral agency.
B.There were no extraneous factors driving the desire of people to seek out local news.
C.People's interest in local news would translate into a desire to purchase a newspaper that publishes local news.
D.The preferences of all potential customers of newsweekly mirrors that of the readers of "Newsweekly".
E.Focusing on local news should not be at the cost of loss of detail on other important news categories.

3.Kraft foods' market survey indicated that most preferred chocolates were also the ones that had the highest sugar content.Based on this,kraft foods decided to increase the sugar contents in its newer chocolates as well.

The critical assumption underpinning Kraft foods' decision is

A.People's preference for high sugar contents would continue in the future also.
B.Consumers would be willing to pay more for the increased sugar content in the new chocolates.
C.Presence of higher sugar content was the reason for the higher preference from customers.
D.The increase in sugar content would not be combined with any other undesired effects on the taste of the chocolates.
E.Consumers choice of chocolates was driven more by considerations driven by taste more than by wealth.

My answer choices are E,C,C.

Not sure if these are correct.

Experts pl reply.
Warm regards,
Shreenath.

Never,never give up.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:720

by ice_rush » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:51 pm
IMO (E) for the first and (B) for the last question.
Last edited by ice_rush on Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by umeshpatil » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:57 pm
My answers are B,C,A

Followed by:1 members

by Ashujain » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:26 am
IMO: E, D, C

by jimmyjimmy » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:28 am
ACA..

Followed by:6 members

by dhonu121 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:17 pm
I think C,D,C.
Please post the OA.
If you've liked my post, let me know by pressing the thanks button.

Followed by:2 members

by ankita1709 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:01 pm
I think it should be E,D,C
Ankita

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by snigdha.singh16 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:09 am
IMO - E, D ,C

Regards,
Snigdha

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:22 am
I received a PM asking me to comment.
What is the source of these questions? Some of the phrasing here is grammatically and/or semantically suspect.
In my responses, I've reworded the correct answer where necessary.
shreenag wrote:1.The goal of fluoridation is to prevent tooth decay by adjusting the levels of fluoride concentration in public drinking water.However,recent World health organisation report has estimated that 41% of american adolescents aged 12 and 15 have dental fluorosis,indicated by white or brown patches on the teeth.An initiative to improve public health has ironically resulted in lower dental health,forcing the food and drug administration to reduce fluoride levels by close to 50% in some areas.

Which of the following is one of the assumptions on which the argument is based on?

A.dental flurosis is a condition that predominantly affects teenagers and not adults.
B.Adjusting the levels of fluoride concentration had always led to an increase in fluoride in water.
C.White or brown patches do not necessarily indicate tooth decay.
D.All the adolescents who suffered from dental flurosis live in the areas where the FDA has reduced the fluoride levels.
E.Dental fluorosis is a condition that can be contracted only by the consumption of fluoride high water.
Fluorosis -- a discoloration of the teeth -- is caused by an excess intake of fluoride.
This CR links fluoride in the WATER to the FLUOROSIS seen in adolescents.
Answer choice E, negated:
Dental fluorosis is a NOT a condition that can be contracted only by consuming WATER high in fluoride.
The negation of E breaks the link between the fluoride in the water and dental fluorosis.
Thus, E is the necessary assumption: WHAT MUST BE TRUE for the conclusion here to be valid.
2."Newsweekly", a leading magazine conducted a survey of all its readers to gauge reading patterns. The single most important factor determining magazine purchase was the presence of local news. Based on the input,the magazine increased its focus on local news,in order to increase circulation.

Which of the following assumptions most underlies the magazine's increased focus on local news.

A.The survey was conducted as objectively as possible by a neutral agency.
B.There were no extraneous factors driving the desire of people to seek out local news.
C.People's interest in local news would translate into a desire to purchase a newspaper that publishes local news.
D.The preferences of all potential customers of newsweekly mirrors that of the readers of "Newsweekly".
E.Focusing on local news should not be at the cost of loss of detail on other important news categories.
This CR links a survey of READERS to a plan to INCREASE CIRCULATION.
The assumption is that what current READERS want is the same as what NON-READERS want.
Answer choice D, negated:
The preferences of ALL POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS of "Newsweekly" DO NOT MIRROR those of the READERS of "Newsweekly".
The negation of D breaks the link between the READERS who were surveyed and ALL POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS.
Thus, D is the necessary assumption: WHAT MUST BE TRUE for the conclusion here to be valid.

Answer choice C, negated:
People's interest in local news would NOT translate into a desire to purchase a newspaper that publishes local news.
The negation of C weakens the PREMISE that the single most important factor determining magazine purchase was the presence of local news.
The negation of the correct answer choice cannot invalidate a premise.
A premise is a FACT; it cannot be disputed.
3.Kraft foods' market survey indicated that most preferred chocolates were also the ones that had the highest sugar content.Based on this,kraft foods decided to increase the sugar contents in its newer chocolates as well.

The critical assumption underpinning Kraft foods' decision is

A.People's preference for high sugar contents would continue in the future also.
B.Consumers would be willing to pay more for the increased sugar content in the new chocolates.
C.Presence of higher sugar content was the reason for the higher preference from customers.
D.The increase in sugar content would not be combined with any other undesired effects on the taste of the chocolates.
E.Consumers choice of chocolates was driven more by considerations driven by taste more than by wealth.
This CR links a HIGH SUGAR CONTENT to the chocolates MOST PREFERRED in the survey.
Answer choice C, negated:
A high sugar content was NOT the reason for the preference expressed by the customers in the survey.
The negation of C breaks the link between the HIGH SUGAR CONTENT and the CHOCOLATES MOST PREFERRED by customers in the survey.
Thus, C is the necessary assumption: WHAT MUST BE TRUE for the conclusion here to be valid.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by shreenag » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:59 pm
Hi GMATguruNY,

The source of these questions are a question paper which i received when I attended a demo class for critical reasoning at a particular GMAT institute
Warm regards,
Shreenath.

Never,never give up.