Process and timeline

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Process and timeline

by mtvmty » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:06 am
I am planning to appear for GMAT next year (2009 May).

Still I am not completely aware of the process and timeline from preparation to getting into business school.

Lets say, I want to apply in 2009 first-cycle (for 2010), By what time I should appear in GMAT, TOEFL and by what time I should complete application pre-requisite?

Please help so that I can plan better.

Regards,
mtvmty
Practice is all I need.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:44 am
Hi MTV,

I would work backward. Like you said, you should get your applications in by Round One (to give yourself the best advantage). Most school's R1 deadline is in late-Sept, early-Oct.

You want a few weeks to work on your essays. Lets assume you start working on your essays in early August. Therefore, you should have taken your GMAT by late summer 2009.

That said, I wouldn't wait then. In case you receive a GMAT score you are not happy with, you want extra time to retake the exam.

Try to finish everything before summer of 2009? That way you have several months to put together solid essays.

Good luck -

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by mtvmty » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:15 am
Thank You NP,

I think I should appear for GMAT and TOEFL whenever I get 2-3 months to prepare within this year(2008).
And from early 2009 I can complete other sub-processes (LORs, Essays,Application etc).

Regards,
mtvmty
Practice is all I need.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:34 am
Hi MTV,
Sounds like a good strategy. One tip - make sure you are using the most recent essay questions / application package for the year you are applying. I believe most schools release their applications in the summer. I have had several clients that worked off old essay questions and lost valuable time!

But for the most part - the questions will be similar. More importantly, you can start thinking about the 'standard' MBA essay questions that are applicable to all schools - why MBA? what are your post-MBA goals?

Good luck!

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep