Pls evaluate my profile 680 (Q44, V39)

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Pls evaluate my profile 680 (Q44, V39)

by akuma » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:29 am
Hi,

I have recently taken the GMAT and scored a 680 on my 2nd attempt. I would love to start my application process for R1 as soon as possible but I am in a predicament. I am not sure whether I should retake the GMAT for a higher Quant score during mid-July as the recurring theme across the forums seems to be that a low Quant score, in the eyes of ADCOM, is worse than a low Verbal score. Preparing for a retake by studying extensively on the quant section would clearly take away a month and a half of precious time that could be used for writing and polishing up essays. On the flip side, I feel as though I can definitely improve my quant, a section I really neglected in my studies as I always considered myself more math orientated. I'm seriously trying to weigh the ROI of my options, given that there is a tight time frame over the summer (visiting schools, writing essays, retaking the GMAT, applying by R1 deadlines, etc.)

Here's my background: 28yr old male, US native
Undergrad: Mid-level State University, GPA: 3.84
Work Experience: 3 years enlisted in US Military (before graduation), 3 years in Operations at a top investment bank (after)

Thanks in advance.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:31 members

by Deena@ClearAdmit » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:23 am
Hi Akuma, and thanks for your post.

Pls evaluate my profile 680 (Q44, V39)Posted Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:29 am

Hi,

I have recently taken the GMAT and scored a 680 on my 2nd attempt. I would love to start my application process for R1 as soon as possible but I am in a predicament. I am not sure whether I should retake the GMAT for a higher Quant score during mid-July as the recurring theme across the forums seems to be that a low Quant score, in the eyes of ADCOM, is worse than a low Verbal score. Preparing for a retake by studying extensively on the quant section would clearly take away a month and a half of precious time that could be used for writing and polishing up essays. On the flip side, I feel as though I can definitely improve my quant, a section I really neglected in my studies as I always considered myself more math orientated. I'm seriously trying to weigh the ROI of my options, given that there is a tight time frame over the summer (visiting schools, writing essays, retaking the GMAT, applying by R1 deadlines, etc.)

Here's my background: 28yr old male, US native
Undergrad: Mid-level State University, GPA: 3.84
Work Experience: 3 years enlisted in US Military (before graduation), 3 years in Operations at a top investment bank (after

I generally advise applicants to apply R1 if at all possible, but I think in your case, it makes the most sense to retake that GMAT, and if necessary applying R2. You mentioned in your post that you think that you can improve, and since that's the case, I think you should give it a try. A higher GMAT will likely open more doors for you. Also, your military background will be very helpful, and will allow you to stand out from your peers, so applying R2 will likely be less of an issue.
Feel free to contact us at [email protected] for a more detailed free assessment of your profile.
Best,
Deena

Deena Maerowitz
Clear Admit, LLC

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.
Friend us on Facebook for exclusive giveaways and Q&A with our team.
Deena Maerowitz
MBA Admissions Expert
Clear Admit