Please Evaluate My Profile

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Please Evaluate My Profile

by mtvmty » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:16 am
GMAT: Not yet taken, but KAPLAN practice scores have been in the 650’s. Not started OG yet.I will finally get a 700+.

My profile - Indian male, 25 years

Work Experience:
Software Professional with Engineering in Electronics
Work ex: 3 Years. Would be 4 years at beginning of Fall 09 start date.
- Working on database with sound knowledge and hands-on in Oracle
- Working at client-site in a challenging enviroment

Education:
- India – Engineering – Percentage: 66

Extracurricular Activities
-presented case study in Healthcare in current Organization (2007)
-Executive Member of Literary sub-council in College (2003-04)
-Presented 'Intruder Alarm' model in National level seminar (2003)
-Frequent blogger for latest technology changes (softwares)

My plan – I would like to go for General Management and want to make career in consulting as I like to present my ideas in an innovative and presentable manner and like to tell difficult things in easiest possible way. I take it as a challenge.

I want an honest feedback on my prospects as an MBA aspirant in Top Schools.

Thanks!
Practice is all I need.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:14 am
Hey MTV,
Thanks for your post.

You have good credentials and sounds like you are a good fit for a top MBA program. As you know, its hard to gauge your candidacy based on profile/stats, as much of the decision is based on your essays, LORs, interview. That said - here is my feedback.

Overall, you are (unfortunately) in one of the most competitive applicant pool - Indians with IT background. Therefore your biggest challenge is how to best differentiate yourself. What makes you different from the thousands of Indian IT applicants that will apply to the same schools with similar stats (good GMAT/GPA scores, solid IT work experience).

Can you provide me with deeper information about your school interests. For example, is there a region you focused on (i.e. West Coast)? Any schools/programs that spark your interests?

Regards,

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by mtvmty » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:17 am
Thanks NP for your feedback.

I am looking for an exceptional GMAT score to compensate where I lack. :P

Can you provide me with deeper information about your school interests. For example, is there a region you focused on (i.e. West Coast)? Any schools/programs that spark your interests?

Please elaborate your question so that I can provide you the required information.

I don't know much about American business schools (Only the stats provided by Business Week), please provide link if I can get that information on web.

I want go for consulting/business developement in management, don't want to be a hard-hitting finance OR marketing expert.

Regards,
mtvmty
Practice is all I need.