SC - Plural and Parallelism.....Clarification reqd Urgent !!

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:70 members
In addition to adhering to the policies and guidelines of the State Department of Education, the successful instructor will be responsible for instruction in the appropriate teaching environment and evaluates student learning.

will be responsible for instruction in the appropriate teaching environment and evaluates
will be responsible for instruction in the appropriate teaching environment and evaluate
is responsible for instruction in the appropriate teaching environment and evaluate
is being responsible for instruction in the appropriate teaching environment and for evaluating
is responsible for instructions in the appropriate teaching environment and will be evaluating
Regards,
Karthik
The source of the questions that i post from JUNE 2013 is from KNEWTON

---If you find my post useful, click "Thank" :) :)---
---Never stop until cracking GMAT---

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members

by patanjali.purpose » Tue May 29, 2012 5:20 am
karthikpandian19 wrote:In addition to adhering to the policies and guidelines of the State Department of Education, the successful instructor will be responsible for instruction in the appropriate teaching environment and evaluates student learning.

will be responsible for instruction in the appropriate teaching environment and evaluates
will be responsible for instruction in the appropriate teaching environment and evaluate
is responsible for instruction in the appropriate teaching environment and evaluate
is being responsible for instruction in the appropriate teaching environment and for evaluating
is responsible for instructions in the appropriate teaching environment and will be evaluating
X will BE RESPONSIBLE FOR...and (will) EVALUATE student learning.

A - evaluateS
C/D/E - all changes meaning from FUTURE (as indicated by use of WILL) to PRESENT (IS)
More issues in C - IS ...AND EVALUATE (not parallel)
E - IS RESPONSIBLE (ie NOW)...WILL BE (in FUTURE). How can we say one action of INSTRUCTION IN present and other in future

Note sentence talks about THE SUCCESSFUL INSTRUCTOR (ie WHO WILL BE SUCCESSFUL IN FUTURE)

IMO B

Legendary Member

by karthikpandian19 » Tue May 29, 2012 1:21 pm
I clearly understood the other options.....But i felt the confusion btwn A & B,with "evaluate" & "Evaluates"........Shld it not be Evaluates as it is singular with the successful instructor. Please clarify????

patanjali.purpose wrote:
karthikpandian19 wrote:In addition to adhering to the policies and guidelines of the State Department of Education, the successful instructor will be responsible for instruction in the appropriate teaching environment and evaluates student learning.

A - evaluateS
C/D/E - all changes meaning from FUTURE (as indicated by use of WILL) to PRESENT (IS)
E - IS RESPONSIBLE (ie NOW)...WILL BE (in FUTURE). How can we say one action of INSTRUCTION IN present and other in future

Note sentence talks about THE SUCCESSFUL INSTRUCTOR (ie WHO WILL BE SUCCESSFUL IN FUTURE)

IMO B
Regards,
Karthik

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members

by patanjali.purpose » Tue May 29, 2012 2:12 pm
karthikpandian19 wrote:I clearly understood the other options.....But i felt the confusion btwn A & B,with "evaluate" & "Evaluates"........Shld it not be Evaluates as it is singular with the successful instructor. Please clarify????

patanjali.purpose wrote:

A - evaluateS

IMO B
If we use EVALUATES then the meaning changes to "SUCCESSFUL instructor WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR INSTRUCTION in...AND SUCCESSFUL instructor IS EVALUATING STUDENT LEARNING as a matter of practice. In other words, use of EVALUATES changes the meaning from WHAT INSTRUCTOR WILL DO IN FUTURE TO WHAT THEY GENERALLY DO (simple present). Thats not correct.

We require WILL BE RESPONSBILE...and WILL EVALUATE..(2nd WILL is not required as its infered from 1st)

Legendary Member

by karthikpandian19 » Tue May 29, 2012 4:33 pm
I just bypassed the "hidden" will in the answer

Thanks for your explanation
patanjali.purpose wrote:
karthikpandian19 wrote:I clearly understood the other options.....But i felt the confusion btwn A & B,with "evaluate" & "Evaluates"........Shld it not be Evaluates as it is singular with the successful instructor. Please clarify????

patanjali.purpose wrote:

A - evaluateS

IMO B
If we use EVALUATES then the meaning changes to "SUCCESSFUL instructor WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR INSTRUCTION in...AND SUCCESSFUL instructor IS EVALUATING STUDENT LEARNING as a matter of practice. In other words, use of EVALUATES changes the meaning from WHAT INSTRUCTOR WILL DO IN FUTURE TO WHAT THEY GENERALLY DO (simple present). Thats not correct.

We require WILL BE RESPONSBILE...and WILL EVALUATE..(2nd WILL is not required as its infered from 1st)
Regards,
Karthik