SC - Phrase commas, article?

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:70 members

SC - Phrase commas, article?

by karthikpandian19 » Mon May 28, 2012 11:51 pm
In surprising medical news, scientists investigating long-term effects of stroke are reporting that injury to a specific part of the brain, located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit.

brain, located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit
brain located behind the ear can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit
brain, located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break the habit of smoking
brain located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit
brain, the one located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break the habit of smoking
Regards,
Karthik
The source of the questions that i post from JUNE 2013 is from KNEWTON

---If you find my post useful, click "Thank" :) :)---
---Never stop until cracking GMAT---

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members

by patanjali.purpose » Tue May 29, 2012 5:05 am
karthikpandian19 wrote:In surprising medical news, scientists investigating long-term effects of stroke are reporting that injury to a specific part of the brain, located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit.

brain, located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit
brain located behind the ear can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit
brain, located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break the habit of smoking
brain located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit
brain, the one located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break the habit of smoking
B/D - located may modifiy BRAIN; drop (USE OF COMMA in D before CAN WRONG)

COMMA LOCATED may modify BRAIN, INJURY or 'A SPECIFIC PART OF BRAIN'- drop A/C

IMO THE ONE LOCATED (abstract modifier) modifies SPECIFIC PART OF BRAIN; Moreover THE HABIT (very specific) prefred over A SMOKING HABIT (generic)

IMO E

Legendary Member
Followed by:21 members

by vk_vinayak » Tue May 29, 2012 5:12 am
IMO C.
- VK

I will (Learn. Recognize. Apply)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Ashujain » Tue May 29, 2012 5:18 am
karthikpandian19 wrote:In surprising medical news, scientists investigating long-term effects of stroke are reporting that injury to a specific part of the brain, located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit.

It should be C because 'located' after the comma refers to the subject of the phrase just before the comma and that is 'part'.
'the one' in E is unnecessary.

Kindly correct me if i am wrong.

Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members
GMAT Score:770

by eagleeye » Tue May 29, 2012 8:51 am
I found it to be a great question, one that sent my head for a spin around the block. Hence, I am writing a detailed explanation.

Before explaining the answer, I want to emphasize a couple of things.
I hope that by the time you are done reading, the answer shall be clear to you right away.
First, I'll talk about the positioning of the comma.

The comma is used to separate and provide more information about its preceding "phrase". Recall that a phrase is anything that is either missing a subject or a predicate. In this case "a specific part of the brain" is the phrase.

Now let's look at the following sentences.

The driver of the car staying in the mansion was sleeping. This doesn't tell us whether the car was staying in the mansion or the driver. Awkward.
The driver of the car, staying in the mansion, was sleeping. This one tells us that "The driver of the car", not the car itself, was staying in the mansion. Hence we see how the commas are necessary especially when prepositional phrases are used.

Now let's look at this sentence.
The driver of the car, the one staying in the mansion, was sleeping. Do you see a problem with the sentence?
Right. It is very awkward and unnecessarily wordy. Stay away from such constructions.

The third thing is active vs passive voice usage in a modified phrase.
Look at the following sentences.
She has a drug problem. Vs .
She has the problem of drugs. Which one sounds better? Let's try one more.

He has a smoking problem. He has the problem of smoking. Do you see what's wrong? The second one is unnecessarily wordy.

Keeping what you have just read in mind, try solving it yourself.

Can you recognize the correct answer? Give it a try. Then check the answer.

The correct answer should be A. Let me explain:

First off we see that there are two things being checked here. First is the presence and position of the comma, and the other, the usage of active phrase versus passive phrasing.

Observe that options B and D don't have commas. They can mean that the ear can break a smoking habit. This is very ambiguous. Discard these options.

Now , among A,C, and E we have, a smoking habit vs the habit of smoking. The habit of smoking is unnecessarily wordy . Discard C and E. This leaves us with A.

So,
brain, located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit. YES.

brain located behind the ear can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit NO. (Comma, meaning ambiguity)

brain, located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break the habit of smoking NO. (Wordiness, concision)

brain located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit NO. (Comma, meaning ambiguity)

brain, the one located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break the habit of smoking NO. (Wordiness, concision)

Let me know if this helps :)

Legendary Member

by karthikpandian19 » Tue May 29, 2012 1:40 pm
@eagleeye

Thts the most perfect explanation that can be given.......After reading the comments one by one i thought of indicating the OA is A and to write the OE, but now i feel its unnecessary as your explanation does it all........

Great explanation...Thanks
eagleeye wrote:I found it to be a great question, one that sent my head for a spin around the block. Hence, I am writing a detailed explanation.

I hope that by the time you are done reading, the answer shall be clear to you right away.

The comma is used to separate and provide more information about its preceding "phrase". Recall that a phrase is anything that is either missing a subject or a predicate. In this case "a specific part of the brain" is the phrase.

The driver of the car staying in the mansion was sleeping. This doesn't tell us whether the car was staying in the mansion or the driver. Awkward.
The driver of the car, staying in the mansion, was sleeping. This one tells us that "The driver of the car", not the car itself, was staying in the mansion. Hence we see how the commas are necessary especially when prepositional phrases are used.

The driver of the car, the one staying in the mansion, was sleeping. Do you see a problem with the sentence?
Right. It is very awkward and unnecessarily wordy. Stay away from such constructions.

He has a smoking problem. He has the problem of smoking. Do you see what's wrong? The second one is unnecessarily wordy.

First off we see that there are two things being checked here. First is the presence and position of the comma, and the other, the usage of active phrase versus passive phrasing.

Observe that options B and D don't have commas. They can mean that the ear can break a smoking habit. This is very ambiguous. Discard these options.

Now , among A,C, and E we have, a smoking habit vs the habit of smoking. The habit of smoking is unnecessarily wordy . Discard C and E. This leaves us with A.

So,
brain, located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit. YES.

brain located behind the ear can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit NO. (Comma, meaning ambiguity)

brain, located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break the habit of smoking NO. (Wordiness, concision)

brain located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit NO. (Comma, meaning ambiguity)

brain, the one located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break the habit of smoking NO. (Wordiness, concision)

Regards,
Karthik

Followed by:1 members

by 1947 » Tue May 29, 2012 10:49 pm
Between A and C I still think that C is better.
a smoking habit though concise is not conveying what it should.
the habit of smoking is better usage.
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button. Thanks

Legendary Member
Followed by:32 members
GMAT Score:760

by avik.ch » Wed May 30, 2012 1:27 am
What is the source of this question ? A cannot be the OA.
In surprising medical news, scientists investigating long-term effects of stroke are reporting that injury to a specific part of the brain, located behind the ear, can instantly and permanently break a smoking habit.

"a smoking habit" - it generally signifies that there are many types of smoking habits, and only one types are into consideration. I do not think that this is the intended meaning here.

So here "the habit of smoking" is better that "a smoking habit".Left with C and E.

A past participle phrase without comma modifies the exactly preceding noun. In E, "the one" refers to brain, and

the one + past participle...( here the past participle acts as an adjective). So hence E is the best here and not A.

Legendary Member

by karthikpandian19 » Wed May 30, 2012 4:53 am
Source: Kaplan Test Prep

Can any of the GMAT expert can explain this ?
avik.ch wrote:What is the source of this question ? A cannot be the OA.

"a smoking habit" - it generally signifies that there are many types of smoking habits, and only one types are into consideration. I do not think that this is the intended meaning here.

So here "the habit of smoking" is better that "a smoking habit".Left with C and E.

A past participle phrase without comma modifies the exactly preceding noun. In E, "the one" refers to brain, and

the one + past participle...( here the past participle acts as an adjective). So hence E is the best here and not A.
Regards,
Karthik

Legendary Member

by avik.ch » Wed May 30, 2012 4:59 am

Legendary Member

by karthikpandian19 » Wed May 30, 2012 5:20 am
Even @ this link, it is told that the OA is A
and then some explanations......

But no GMAT expert have come to the party?????
Regards,
Karthik

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:143 members

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Thu May 31, 2012 12:43 pm
The expression "smoking habit" is correct. What about "A" smoking habit? Does the use of an indefinite article indeed mean that only one type of a habit is taken into consideration?
Kasia
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT - the #1 rated GMAT course

"¢ If you found my post helpful, please click the "thank" button and/or follow me.

"¢ Take a 7 day free trial and find out why Economist GMAT is the highest rated GMAT course - https://gmat.economist.com/

"¢ Read GMAT Economist reviews - https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/economis ... mat-course

Followed by:6 members

by dhonu121 » Thu May 31, 2012 11:25 pm
Don't agree with the OA. And this is also not an official question, hence I CAN disagree with the OA.
In E, the phrase, the one located behind the ear, correctly modifies the part of the brain rather than brain itself.
It is the PART of the brain that is located behind the ear, not the entire brain.
Hence E should be correct.
If you've liked my post, let me know by pressing the thanks button.

GMAT Score:700

by Gaurav 2013-fall » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:05 am
eagleeye wrote:I found it to be a great question, one that sent my head for a spin around the block. Hence, I am writing a detailed explanation.

So,

What's a smoking habit? Never heard of "a" smoking habit. Any thoughts?

Legendary Member

by avik.ch » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:59 am
Gaurav 2013-fall wrote:
What's a smoking habit? Never heard of "a" smoking habit. Any thoughts?
Yes, its wrong. Here is a better explanation for this : https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-surprising ... 05575.html