Bridget's addiction

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

Bridget's addiction

by vikram4689 » Mon May 28, 2012 5:32 am
Like Bridget's addiction, the tallest girl on the basketball team's addiction is to chewing gum.

is this a correct sentence, i don't think so but knewton says it is correct
Premise: If you like my post
Conclusion : Press the Thanks Button ;)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon May 28, 2012 8:02 am
vikram4689 wrote:Like Bridget's addiction, the tallest girl on the basketball team's addiction is to chewing gum.

is this a correct sentence, i don't think so but knewton says it is correct
Looks good to me.

It may seem a little clunky, but we don't have many options if we want to compare one person's addiction with another person's addiction, when one of our people is the tallest girl on the basketball team.

Notice that the sentence "Like Bridget's addiction, Carol's addiction is to chewing gum" logically compares two addictions (Bridget's addiction and Carol's addiction)

The sentence "Like Bridget's addiction, Carol Marie Smith's addiction is to chewing gum" is also fine since we are comparing two addictions.

If we continue with this logic all the way to the sentence in question, we see that the tallest girl on the basketball team has an addiction and we are comparing that addiction to Bridget's addiction. Fine.

Another option is to write,"Like Bridget's addiction, the basketball team's tallest girl's addiction is to chewing gum," but this one is super clunky :-)

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by vikram4689 » Mon May 28, 2012 5:39 pm
Like Bridget's addiction, the tallest girl on the basketball team's addiction is to chewing gum.
At first sight it seems that sentence is referring to team's addiction. Did you rule that option out because the basketball team is part of prepositional phrase and cannot be subject of the main sentence. Hence, you decided that "'s" must have been for subject i.e.tallest girl
Secondly, isn't it weird to have "'s" of tallest girl separated by so many words. I have naver seen that before
"Like Bridget's addiction, Carol Marie Smith's addiction is to chewing gum"
I did not get the meaning of sentence as written above. what does "chewing" refer to. Infinitives take base form of the verb so shouldn't "chewing" be replaced with "chew" e.g. Carol Marie Smith's addiction is to chew gum.
Premise: If you like my post
Conclusion : Press the Thanks Button ;)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by jimmyjimmy » Mon May 28, 2012 5:48 pm

addiction is to chew gum nt chewing gum.. dnt u think!!
and it seems team is addicted to chewing gum..dnt u think !!
LIGHT THE TOPIC WITH KNOWLEDGE

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by ankita1709 » Mon May 28, 2012 8:51 pm
jimmyjimmy wrote:Like Bridget's addiction, the tallest girl on the basketball team's addiction is to chewing gum.

addiction is to chew gum nt chewing gum.. dnt u think!!
and it seems team is addicted to chewing gum..dnt u think !!
LIGHT THE TOPIC WITH KNOWLEDGE
chewing gum as a whole is a noun here don't take it as chewing - verb + gum - noun

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Akshit Goel » Mon May 28, 2012 11:32 pm
Like Bridget, the tallest girl on the basketball team has an addiction to chewing gum.

Is this sentence correct?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue May 29, 2012 6:27 am
Akshit Goel wrote:Like Bridget, the tallest girl on the basketball team has an addiction to chewing gum.

Is this sentence correct?
Yes it is.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com