Your insight?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Your insight?

by rohit.bizschool » Tue May 15, 2012 12:37 am
Hello!

I'm a newbie. I took the GMAT a couple weeks ago after 2 months of preparation.
Score: 700 (90 percentile)
Quant 48 (80 percentile)
Verbal 38 (83 percentile)
AWA 5.0/6.0

I'm considering applying to part-time programs (Haas-Berkeley, Anderson-UCLA) and maybe (Booth-Chicago, Stern-NYU) I'm not very sure about the latter because I live in San Francisco and flying out to Chi-town/NY every weekend might not be very practical.

I was wondering if I have any realistic chance of getting into these elite schools. Should I consider retaking the GMAT? In the few prep tests I had taken (GMAT Prep, MGMAT), I had scored 730, 720 and 690 (MGMAT 1st test), 730

I'm asking because I'm part of the over-represented pool. Here are the details:

- Software professional in the Silicon Valley with 5 years of experience.
- Ethnically Indian (male/28)
- Undergraduate GPA - First Class from Bombay University - approx 3.75/4.00 GPA if converted (I'm not very sure about the conversion)
- Masters Degree in CS from a reputed school in California. GPA 3.85/4.00
- I've been doing well at work (at a reputed tech company ) and can get good (hopefully) recommendation letters from my manager and the director (who's a Haas part-time alumnus) of the department.
I think mine would be an average profile for Haas/Anderson.

I plan to apply to part time programs for the Fall 2013 class.

Let me know if you think I have a chance or if retaking is the best option. I understand that the GMAT score is just one criterion and the Admission Committee looks into other criteria like work experience, extracurricular activities, recommendations, essays, etc. as well. The reason I'm asking specifically about the GMAT is that from the few posts that I've perused through in these forums, I've figured that an applicant with my background should ideally have a higher score to stand out from the rest of the pool.

Thanks!
-Rohit

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Sun May 20, 2012 10:20 pm
Hi Rohit,

For your GMAT, part-time MBA programs focus more on your work experience than on your test scores.

This being said, your highest GMAT score is self-reported on your application, so admissions teams will focus on your highest score. For your prep tests, I recommend you visit MBA.com, which provides 2 free practice GMAT tests. These will be the best representation of how you will do on test-day.

Best,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me