What does a score of 650 from Kaplan Diagnostic indicate?

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700
Hi,

Last week, I sat down to write a complete test including AWA essays under test conditions to judge my standing of GMAT preparation.

Over all, I scored a 650 (Q% - 77%; V% -56%) on the test.

Here are my observations:

1. I was lost while answering the last few questions, I guess 8 questions, that I had to guess them all.

2. While attempting the Verbal section, I was unable to concentrate on questions after answering around 20 questions. I had plenty of time for the remaining questions, but still I was not able to concentrate.

Could anyone please suggest how should I interpret these observations and help me come with a roadmap for preparation?

PS: Before writing the test I use to solve around 25 questions(DS, PS, SC, CR) per day from BTG community.
Regards,

Pranay

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:62 members

by KapTeacherEli » Thu May 17, 2012 9:33 am
It sounds like you need to take more tests. Both a loss of focus towards the end of a section, and running out of time, are signs of a test taker who might be skilled when it comes to questions but hasn't fully developed his testtaking skills directly. Try a few more; I strongly suspect that simple practice will correct a lot of the pacing and concentration issues that you're experiencing. If you're still having the same trouble by test 3, then your concerns might merit special attention to correct them.

Hope this helps!

Eli
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Thu May 17, 2012 9:48 pm
Hello Sir,

Thanks for taking out time and addressing the queries. :)

Can you please advise on areas related to testtaking skills? This is not my first test. Earlier I wrote GMAT Prep and scored a 770 (without AWA and with lots of repeated questions that I faced during earlier mock tests).

Also, on BTG and other forums I have read that its not recommended to take tests very often. The gap between two consecutive tests should be atleast two weeks. I am confused. It would be really helpful if you can share more thoughts on this.
Regards,

Pranay