Vitamin-A defficiency

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Vitamin-A defficiency

by [email protected] » Sun May 13, 2012 12:41 am
In parts of South America, vitamin-A deficiency is a serious health problem, especially among children. In one region, agriculturists hope to improve nutrition by encouraging farmers to plant a new variety of sweet potato called SPK004 that is rich in betacarotene, which the body converts into vitamin A. The plan has good chances of success, since sweet potato is a staple of the region's diet and agriculture, and the varieties currently grown contain little beta-carotene.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the prediction that the plan will succeed?

A. There are other vegetables currently grown in the region that contain more beta-carotene than the currently cultivated varieties of sweet potato do.
B. The flesh of SPK004 differs from that of the currently cultivated sweet potatoes in colors and textures, so traditional foods would look somewhat different when prepared from SPK004.
C. For successful cultivation of SPK004, a soil significantly richer in nitrogen is needed than is needed for the varieties of sweet potato currently cultivated in the region.
D. There are no other varieties of sweet potato that are significantly richer in beta-carotene than SPK004 is.
E. The currently cultivated varieties of sweet potato contain no important nutrients that SPK004 lacks.
correct option given is E. But my option is D. please clarify.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by krishna239455 » Sun May 13, 2012 12:46 am
IMO E:

the ultimate aim of the agricultarists is to improve nutrition.

SPK004 is one of the means to improve it.

by krishna239455 » Sun May 13, 2012 12:47 am
IMO E:

the ultimate aim of the agricultarists is to improve nutrition.

SPK004 is one of the means to improve it.

by ihatemaths » Mon May 14, 2012 10:20 am
whats the OA ? and OE please.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue May 15, 2012 2:49 am
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3