Experts Please Suggest

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Experts Please Suggest

by anukrati » Sat May 05, 2012 6:04 pm
Hi

I am 24yrs old female from India.
Having 2+ yrs of Work-Ex.
I have already given GMAT once and got 690. Since I was not satisfied with the score I will be giving it again.
My concern is how much GMAT score I should have to get into Top MBA Programs.
I am looking forward for Top 20 MBA programs ( mainly Stern ).

Can anyone please evaluate my chances for the same.

My profile is as below:

I have done my engineering in Electrical & Electronics from the State University ( UPTU) with 71%.
I started my work with Infosys(Aug. 2009) but left in 3 months during its training and joined Accenture.
I worked in Accenture(Dec. 2009) for 2 years in Informatica Domain.
Then I joined HSBC(Jan 2012) but because Capital One has bought the Credit Retail Service Business of HSBC in US I am currently working with Capital One(May 2012) as Data Analyst. My work here is of Data management.

Part Time Experiences -

1) I ran the franchisee of BrainObrain Kids Academy Pvt Ltd for 3yrs during my College days.
2) I have been Online Maths Tutor for more than 1year now.

Extra Activities -

I have been actively participating in Extra Curricular Activities -

I would want to know what all extra curricular activities of mine can add to my profile....

1) I have taught Dance in Summer Camp during my school days.
2) I have choreographed Cultural events in Society.
3) I have been part of organizing team of Fresher's Party during my Second year of College.
4) I have also been part of organizing team of Inter College Technical Fest during Final Year of College.
5) I won first prize in the Technical Fest of College for the event " Algorithm".
6) I was the batch Topper in Accenture's Greenfield Training Batch.
7) I have also choreographed dance and Fashion Show in Accenture.

Hope the above details will help in evaluating the profile.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members

by myEssayReview » Mon May 07, 2012 5:45 pm
Hi,

It's good you are planning to retake the GMAT.This time you should plan on scoring 720-760, if you are aiming for top 20 schools.

Your work experience is also on the lower side.In order to strengthen your candidacy,you should gain work experience of two more years.

Your extra curricular activities are fine. However, you should try to involve in some community work during these two years.

If you find my post helpful, please let me know by hitting the thank button.

Thanks,

Poonam

Followed by:11 members

by PrepMBA.AlexLeventhal » Thu May 10, 2012 7:50 pm
690 is a strong first try. Aim for 720 and above and try to make sure your score is not lopsided on the quant.

Perhaps more importantly, data managers do not get into b school with the same frequency as some broader tracks. My rec would be for you, given you are still very young in MBA land, is to try to transition into more of a business role using your prior experience. For example, business analytics is a growing area and perhaps you can join that type of practice on the client side. Again, you have not posted a thorough job history, but my assumption is that you are not currently in a broad business role as much as a technical role.

Good luck!
Alex Leventhal
Harvard MBA, 1998
Prep MBA Admissions Consulting
www.prepmba.com
[email protected]
(323)424.3178

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by anukrati » Fri May 11, 2012 10:02 pm
Hi

I know I am low on experience side.
But due to my personal constraint I have to take admission for Fall 2013.
Since I want to get into Top 20 B-school Programs, I wanted to know with my existing job profile, what GMAT score is required.
Also, I have heard that Indian pool is very tough.

Followed by:10 members

by myEssayReview » Sat May 12, 2012 4:16 pm
You have heard it right. Indian applicant pool is extremely competitive.Hence more Work Experience and 700+ GMAT score for top 20.

Even though Stern does not have a GMAT cut-off score, the average GMAT score for admitted applicants is above 700. GMAT is one of the components of your application, and a score below 700 score does not disqualify you from serious consideration, you still need 700 + to strengthen your candidacy.

I hope I could help.