enrolling for a summer school - good or bad

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi

I am planning to apply for Stanford and Harvard summer institute,although am not very sure if they will add any value to my resume.

A quick info on my background.

I have finished my undergraduate in engineering and have an experience of 6 years in the IT sector.
My college GPA is 8(out of 10).

I plan to do my MBA next year and I am currently preparing for my GMAT.
I am just thinking of applying for the summer courses mainly because of the following reasons.

1) Improve my resume as I fall under the very common cadre - "IT female from India". Will the summer course add a little value to my resume ?
2) Have an in-house experience of the creme-De-la-creme colleges as I intend to apply for these colleges after am done with my GMAT.
3)I am looking for a course that focuses on entrepreneurship or general management.There is one course SIGM that Stanford offers for general management.Will these courses be helpful when I pursue my MBA
4) The courses costs a little too much in my opinion.Is it worth taking this course by shelling out a considerable amount of money from my pocket?

Please pour in your suggestions.
Also Can anyone throw some light on any other specialized courses offered by any other college ? I would be happy to research before I zero in on one course.

TIA

Legendary Member
Followed by:64 members

by EricAllen » Mon May 07, 2012 7:06 am
I actually participated in the Harvard Venture in Mgmt Summer program and it was definitely a pipeline to go to business school. It was a great experience for me and I would recommend it. I don't think a summer course in management or entrepreneurship is really going to provide you with any real edge outside of showing your interest in business, so take a course your interested in, but don't expect it to be a real differentiator. I generally recommend courses for people with less than stellar GMATs or limited quantitative backgrounds (you don't fall into either category), but feel free to pursue a course if is peaks your interests. If cost is a factor, find a course that is more cost effective.

I hope that helps.

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Fri May 11, 2012 7:20 pm
I think the way to think about any type of summer class is not - "Will the summer course add a little value to my resume ? " but rather "Will I be able to apply things that I get out of the class in another type of setting that can add value." Look beyond the prospect of putting a name on your resume. If it was as easy as that then everyone else would simply do that too.

I should caveat that by saying that this does not pertain to quant courses where one is trying to build an alternative transcript.

Best of luck!
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants