GMAT Prep Programs

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

GMAT Prep Programs

by swbluedevil » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:03 pm
Has anyone here done a GMAT prep program (Kaplan, Princeton Review, etc)? If so, how much did you improve and would you recommend it. I signed up for Kaplan and hopefully everything will go well.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

Consider studying for yourself

by beatthegmat » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:15 pm
Kaplan and other GMAT prep classes can be very expensive. Have you considered studying for yourself? If you are structured in your approach, you can do a great job of preparing for the GMAT yourself and save that money you would otherwise use for classes.

To get a sense on how you can develop your own study plan, please check out my blog. It features a study guide for people devoting 2-3 months of preparation: https://beatthegmat.blocked

Best of luck in figuring out your options!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

self study

by aim-wsc » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:34 am
i started thinking of taking this test some four months ago.
i did some research & what i found is your site
yes you hv put very very useful information on your site
and now with this blogs and forum stuff it getting even better....

i can surley say that your site is most useful for people like me who want to do the preparation at their own pace & of course who believe in self study

thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:34 pm
Thanks aim-wsc for your support! It's people like you who are going to make this site a great GMAT prep resource.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

by humblewinner » Mon May 01, 2006 7:09 am
swbluedevil,

I think self preparation is the best route to take. For one, kaplan and princeton courses are very expensive, also another reason is that though these courses might give you give you some materials and guidelines, you still have to learn things on your own !

I had registered for a kaplan classroom course a couple of days back and then I came across eric's blog and forum. I was convinced it would be senseless to spend so much for a prep course. I plan to make use of these resources to the best.

Re: GMAT Prep Programs

by bhavna » Mon May 01, 2006 5:37 pm
Hi,

I am also planning to use kaplan classroom course. Do you recommend it?

-BK

by humblewinner » Thu May 04, 2006 8:58 am
If you are asking me, as I said though I initially registered, I cancelled it later. I hadnt attended a single class yet.

It really depends on what you are looking from the prep course. If you are looking for good practise material, there are tons out thr. Infact just relying on kaplan or another course may be risky !

Prep course for one can help if your basics are very poor, you would be able to discuss and learn from an instructor. Another reason to join may be because you are not motivated to study regularly without a classroom setting.

Do visit Eric's blog: https://beatthegmat.blocked , It is a wonderful resource for planning strategies for GMAT preparation.

Hope that helps !

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:3 members
I agree with Eric and others on the forum that if you have the discipline and time commitment to do the preparation yourself, there are plenty of resources on the web for that. This website is definitely one of the most helpful ones out there (there are a few others that I can recommend).

But for a number of professionals, self-study may not be an option. Consider in-class programs if the following applies to you:

1. You can NOT dedicate 1-2 hours of REGULAR study time everyday. Studying for 10-15 hours every two weekends will not be effective and will not get you the score you deserve and need.

2. You have been out of touch with the fundamentals of math and english grammar for a very long time and are planning to take the test within 3 months.

3. You have the smarts but not the discipline to complete the preparation. This last point, although seemingly flimsy, is in my experience the biggest hurdle in getting a high score. A GOOD in-class program can provide a structure for you that you might otherwise not have access to. A GREAT in-class program will work with you to create a personalized plan that you can combine with the in-class program.

Consider Private Tutoring If:

1. You are taking the test very soon (in 2-4 weeks)
2. Are very far away from your target score due to a very specific deficiency that you have identified already (or that a GREAT private tutor will help you identify in the first meeting).
3. Are not cash-constrained, but have schedule-constraints that prevent you from preparing yourself or attending an in-class program.

DISCLAIMER: I do teach for TESTPUNDIT as an in-class instructor as well as a private tutor. But my opinions would not change even if I did not teach there. Also, I scored pretty well without taking any classes or hiring a private tutor. But classes and tutoring help a number of my students.
Anurag Mairal, Ph.D.
TestPundit
510 449 2229
Your Highest GMAT Score is Our Mission
GMAT Expert for Beat The GMAT!