Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile evaluation with Low GMAT

by lovelyboy » Tue May 01, 2012 2:53 pm
Hi All,

I gave my GMAT a second time last week and it did not go as expected. I
On my First attempt i made 600 with Quant-48 Verbal-25 AWA 5.0
On the second attempt i made 610 with Quant-45 and Verbal 28 AWA 5.5. On this test, i concentrated more on the verbal side knowing that i was good at Math.

Education:
BS in Engineering Technology, Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani India.CGPA=8.1/10
MS in Materials Engineering, University of California, Irvine 3.73.

Work Experience:
Sr. Device Engineer from 2009 to 2012( current)-Leading Semiconductor company. Mentored Junior Engineers and led group projects.
Device Engineer 2006 to 2009- Leading Semiconductor company- Led an engineering group in various projects. Took up responsibilities of leading different projects.
Earned Manufacturing employee of the quarter recognition.
Teaching assistant Probability and Statistics 2004-2005: UC Irvine - Social Science dept.

Volunteer work:
2010-2012( current) :Math tutor and organization promoter with a under served area volunteer organization.
2004-2006:Curriculum coordinator and Math tutor with a volunteer organization( NSF southern California chapter), in Irvine CA.
2001-2003: National Service Scheme. Organised "Need to Study" drive in poor villages in neighborhood of Pilani, Rajasthan, India.

Leadership:
- Took lead on many projects and mentored junior engineers on critical projects.
- Currently leading a project on promoting a volunteer organization where i volunteer.
- Led an innovation of microstructures during graduate school that could potentially act as sensors.
-Team captain of a co-ed soccer team.

I am interested in Non-profit management/Finance and want to explore these fields and am interested in Anderson, Chicago Booth, USC Marshall's. Southern California is a preference, however, i am not totally opposed to other places.

I know my GMAT score is low and i have consistently made around 660-680 in practice tests but on test day i am not sure if the nerves get to me. I am a 100% certain 600-610 doesn't reflect my capabilities by any means. I am tired of GMAT and want to use that time in getting the other pieces of my application in place as best as i can. I would like to know your opinion of my candidature for UCLA, USC. Please feel free to advise on any other schools. Also,i want to apologize in advance for any mistakes on my part as i am a first time poster. Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Tue May 01, 2012 3:23 pm
Hi,

For the schools you are considering, I recommend you take the GMAT again. Your score is self-reported on your application, so admissions teams will focus on your best score.

Here is a free GMAT resource: https://www.stacyblackman.com/contact/

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me