Kap test

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Kap test

by bryan88 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:17 am
What caused the $100 million museum's approval and construction to take 12 years was a combination of the complexity of the financing requirements and the opposition of several small but vocal constituencies.

A)What caused

B)What has caused

C)The thing that caused

D)That which caused

E)Causing

Legendary Member
Followed by:43 members
GMAT Score:640

by GmatKiss » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:02 am
bryan88 wrote:What caused the $100 million museum's approval and construction to take 12 years was a combination of the complexity of the financing requirements and the opposition of several small but vocal constituencies.

A)What caused

B)What has caused

C)The thing that caused

D)That which caused

E)Causing

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by bryan88 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:04 am
OA is A
GmatKiss wrote:
bryan88 wrote:What caused the $100 million museum's approval and construction to take 12 years was a combination of the complexity of the financing requirements and the opposition of several small but vocal constituencies.

A)What caused

B)What has caused

C)The thing that caused

D)That which caused

E)Causing

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members

by patanjali.purpose » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:17 pm

A)What caused

B)What has caused

C)The thing that caused

D)That which caused

E)Causing
A - "What caused the $100 million museum's approval and construction to take 12 years" IS THE SUBJECT...and matches with the verb WAS

B - HAS CAUSED (wrong tense). The causing is already over and therefore we require past tense

C - THE THING...WAS A COMBINATION OF..AND THE OPPOSITION OF.. (IMO parts in bold is the logical subject and therefore we require WERE)

D - "THAT (WHICH CAUSED...12 YEARS) WAS A ...". Main clause is THAT WAS A COMBINATION OF ...(what DOES THAT REFERS TO); (2) in the relative clause WHICH refering to THAT, but since we do not have clarity on THAT, we cannot say what does WHICH refer

E - we do not what is subject now

IMO A

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by manishtank1988 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:08 am
Can anyone/you elaborate as to why C is wrong?
I see it as following -
The thing [that caused the $100 million museum's approval and construction to take 12 years] was a combination of the complexity of the financing requirements and the opposition of several small but vocal constituencies.
Main clause - The thing [that caused the $100 million museum's approval and construction to take 12 years] was a combination of the complexity of the financing requirements and the opposition of several small but vocal constituencies.

I understand that this is a substantive clause starting with relative pronoun "what" but i got this question wrong as i only realized it when i saw the answer and explanation. So can anyone please elaborate as to why to choose A compared to C
OR
how to understand as to when A (substantive clause) to use and when to use C(normal construction) ?
Helpful resource:
Magoosh Substantive clause - https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/substanti ... -the-gmat/