740 GMAT Practice, 580 on the real thing, HELP!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Two days prior to taking my first GMAT, I scored a 740 on the GMAT official test software, under time constraints and testing conditions. I even reviewed the practice test to ensure that I hadn't disproportionally guessed correctly. For the real exam, I wasn't particularly nervous, I thought the quant section was challenging but that I was handling the questions well. For verbal I realized I was moving at a slower than normal place. When my score popped up on the screen as 580, I almost fell of my chair. I still can't figure out how I could have done SO poorly...

I had prepared for about 3 months and felt confident going into the test. I'm taking the test again at the end of May (before the format switches), does any one have any advice? Most posts seem to say that scores fluctuate 40-60 points, not 160! Below I've posted all of my practice test scores. Any recommendations on study plans or test strategy would be much appreciated!

1/18 - 28q, 34v = 520 (Manhattan) (before prep)
1/29 - 42q, 34v = 630 (Manhattan)
2/12 - 40q, 37v = 640 (Manhattan)
3/10 - xxxxxxx = 590 (GMAT Practice)
3/17 - 41q, 36v = 640 (Manhattan)
4/8 - 36q, 38v = 610 (GMAT Practice)
4/15 - 49q, 42v = 740 (GMAT Practice)
4/17 - 36q, 34v = 580 (Real GMAT)

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:680

by sam2304 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:47 pm
Scoring a 580 after getting a 740 in GMATPrep is really sad to hear. Your verbal is good and you have to improve your quant. Probably it was a bad day for you. Don't lose hope and go for a retake. Probably you can check this link

https://www.beatthegmat.com/710-gmatprep ... 93586.html

Your MGMAT scores never crossed 650 mark. That's also a good indicator of your actual score. Try MGMAT strategy guides. Go for OG problems again. Search for OG 10 and solve those problems. It has close to 800 problems and good, tough ones. Use your MGMAT test reports to identify your weak areas and work on them. Make lot of flash cards. Solve less and review more. I am sure you can crack it.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.
https://gmatandbeyond.blogspot.in/

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:730

by dav35 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:27 am
one other thing to consider is that your score will be inflated on the GMAT PREP if you have already taken it (i.e., it's your second time taking it). seeing a few repeats can increase your score by quite a bit.

regardless, it appears as thouhg you had a bad day. i would take it again in 30 days. focus on your weak spots

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by frustrated gmatter » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:07 pm
dav35 wrote:one other thing to consider is that your score will be inflated on the GMAT PREP if you have already taken it (i.e., it's your second time taking it). seeing a few repeats can increase your score by quite a bit.

regardless, it appears as thouhg you had a bad day. i would take it again in 30 days. focus on your weak spots
Thanks for the feedback! I'm regrouping today and preparing my study plan for the next 30 days. Regarding the 740 GMAT PREP score, it was Test #2 and the first time I had taken it. I even reviewed the entire test to ensure I hadn't just guessed correctly on a lot of questions! In retrospect I realize I probably "shot the moon" with a 740 but was confident that I could at least score above 650.

Thanks to those who responded, any specific strategies on a 30 day study plan would be appreciated!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:750

by sunman » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:42 am
frustrated gmatter wrote:Two days prior to taking my first GMAT, I scored a 740 on the GMAT official test software, under time constraints and testing conditions. I even reviewed the practice test to ensure that I hadn't disproportionally guessed correctly. For the real exam, I wasn't particularly nervous, I thought the quant section was challenging but that I was handling the questions well. For verbal I realized I was moving at a slower than normal place. When my score popped up on the screen as 580, I almost fell of my chair. I still can't figure out how I could have done SO poorly...

I had prepared for about 3 months and felt confident going into the test. I'm taking the test again at the end of May (before the format switches), does any one have any advice? Most posts seem to say that scores fluctuate 40-60 points, not 160! Below I've posted all of my practice test scores. Any recommendations on study plans or test strategy would be much appreciated!

Hate to be the bearer of bad news bro, but your 740 GMATPrep was obviously an outlier. You either got lucky, or you retook the same exam. Your previous 6 tests averaged out to a 605, so you actually only slightly your average when you toss out the outlier.

Even when you toss out your first one, the 520, your average was a 622, which is not that far from a 580.

Back to the drawing board man. The 740 gave you false confidence. I refused to even take the GMAT until I went 3 months without seeing a score that began with a "6". That took a year of sporadic/casual prep (doing questions here and there when I had time), plus 3 months of intensive prep (several hours every single day).

There are people who can roll out of bed and score a 750. Some of us just don't happen to be one of those, so we'll have to make up for it with sheer tenacity.

Edit to add: I see you listed "GMAT Practice" 3 times. So it seems that you retook GMATPrep1, so it gave you a misleading score. Bro, I retook GMAT Prep1 after a 2 month or so gap, figuring I would not remember what the questions were about. I scored a 770. I can assure you I did not score a 770 in real life, and I probably won't score a 770 next time I take the real GMAT test.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has" - Margaret Mead

Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:750

by sunman » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:51 am
frustrated gmatter wrote:
dav35 wrote:one other thing to consider is that your score will be inflated on the GMAT PREP if you have already taken it (i.e., it's your second time taking it). seeing a few repeats can increase your score by quite a bit.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm regrouping today and preparing my study plan for the next 30 days. Regarding the 740 GMAT PREP score, it was Test #2 and the first time I had taken it. I even reviewed the entire test to ensure I hadn't just guessed correctly on a lot of questions! In retrospect I realize I probably "shot the moon" with a 740 but was confident that I could at least score above 650.

Thanks to those who responded, any specific strategies on a 30 day study plan would be appreciated!
My advice to you is focus less on a "study plan/strategy", and focus more on actually doing it.

Brute, decisive force man. Hit the books whenever you have spare time. Cut out all vices such as TV or videogames (or reward yourself based on # of questions answered correctly).

What I did was, take MGMAT practice tests until I was blue in the face. Since I knew I was weak on quant and strong on verbal, I would take the quant part only (skipping everything else) over...and over...and over again, until I was seeing scores that only ranged from 48-51. Yeah, I know they're not "legit" 48-51s earned, but the only thing that matters is, you're learning to solve some of the most challenging GMAT problems available, which are on the MGMAT CATs.

I started studying for the GMAT since I was a student at the Marine Corps' Basic Officer Course in early 2010. I'm still studying now.

Brute, decisive force. None of the material is too hard for you to learn, you just have to hit it over and over and over again.

I think the top tier business schools are going to have a mix of people who are really, really smart, and people who are barely above average in intelligence, but want it really, really bad.

I think you and I would fall into the latter category.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has" - Margaret Mead

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by campbellronald7 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:21 pm
Seeing your practice test scores and your real GMAT score all that can be said is you had a bad day. You to continue studying hard and take up your next test in 30 days hope to hear 650+ this time. Good Luck.

Followed by:2 members

by AbhiJ » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:25 am
sunman wrote:
frustrated gmatter wrote:Two days prior to taking my first GMAT, I scored a 740 on the GMAT official test software, under time constraints and testing conditions. I even reviewed the practice test to ensure that I hadn't disproportionally guessed correctly. For the real exam, I wasn't particularly nervous, I thought the quant section was challenging but that I was handling the questions well. For verbal I realized I was moving at a slower than normal place. When my score popped up on the screen as 580, I almost fell of my chair. I still can't figure out how I could have done SO poorly...

Hate to be the bearer of bad news bro, but your 740 GMATPrep was obviously an outlier. You either got lucky, or you retook the same exam. Your previous 6 tests averaged out to a 605, so you actually only slightly your average when you toss out the outlier.

Even when you toss out your first one, the 520, your average was a 622, which is not that far from a 580.

Back to the drawing board man. The 740 gave you false confidence. I refused to even take the GMAT until I went 3 months without seeing a score that began with a "6". That took a year of sporadic/casual prep (doing questions here and there when I had time), plus 3 months of intensive prep (several hours every single day).

There are people who can roll out of bed and score a 750. Some of us just don't happen to be one of those, so we'll have to make up for it with sheer tenacity.

Edit to add: I see you listed "GMAT Practice" 3 times. So it seems that you retook GMATPrep1, so it gave you a misleading score. Bro, I retook GMAT Prep1 after a 2 month or so gap, figuring I would not remember what the questions were about. I scored a 770. I can assure you I did not score a 770 in real life, and I probably won't score a 770 next time I take the real GMAT test.
I like your tenacity man, awesome.