Scored 440 Q31, V20. :( Experts need your help..

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:2 members
Hi,
I started my preparations in November 2011 till Feb 2012 mid, putting 8 hours daily.

I got my score yesterday and totally disappointed and not sure to give one more try.

My study Plans-

I've completed MGMAT 8 books
OG 12, QR+VR 4edn
CR Bible

I solved close to 50 problems on each topic like (50 problems on inequality, 50 problems on speed, rates, etc)

Mistakes I made-
I did all the problems only once, and only reviewed them never solved them again.
I did not take full length test.
I did not get a good sleep the day before the exam.
I was so tired that i skiped all RC passages.

Questions to Experts-
-How often should i review once im done with a particular topic, say if im done with Number property today, should i review them every day till the exam day or once in a week?
-Should i redo all the problems again and again, or just a view is enough?

Thanks In adv
Sam

[Moderator Edit: Moved the post to a relevant forum]

by Noni » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:49 am
Hi, Sam
If you just redo and redo all the probz again, you just remember them, not understand them. I'd say a view is not enough!
If I were you, I would spend a day to brush up what parts I did not do well in the GMAT test, then try to do all the GMAT exercises again (you already have all great GMAT books). In this time, you have to understand why you have chose A not B, for example. You can take note all your mistakes in your error log book (that what I'm doing right now, and this really works for me!). Hope it helps!
Good luck!

P.S: I'm pretty sure someone else in this forum will help you out.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:48 am
i received a PM regarding this thread. i have a couple of responses.
sam2012 wrote:Hi,
I started my preparations in November 2011 till Feb 2012 mid, putting 8 hours daily.
these numbers don't seem to match up. if you spent eight hours a day (!!!!! -- this is an insanely long time) for 3-4 months, then that would correspond to much more than the amount of work you've listed... especially since, as you wrote, you only went over the problems 1 time each.

what did you actually do for eight hours in a day?
this is an important question, because it will provide a window into how you think about this test. this is NOT a test on which you can work and work and work your way to a high score -- because it's primarily a test of how you think, not a test of knowledge. (on the RC and CR sections, in fact, the total amount of memorized knowledge that's necessary is zero.) if you are actually studying for eight hours a day, then you will just get worse and worse at those sections, since you will be destroying your ability to actually think.

OG 12, QR+VR 4edn
the quant and verbal reviews exist only in 1st and 2nd editions, so i assume you meant to write "2nd" rather than "4th".
I solved close to 50 problems on each topic like (50 problems on inequality, 50 problems on speed, rates, etc)
problems from where?

I did not take full length test.
I was so tired that i skiped all RC passages.
um ... i think it's pretty clear that this, right here, is your problem.
you skipped ALL the reading passages?
if so, then your score is completely meaningless.

also, why didn't you take any practice tests?

you don't need to take too many practice tests -- 1 or 2 per month is enough -- but, frankly, i find it incredible that you took none of them at all, especially if you were (supposedly) studying for eight hours every day. (again, please see the question above, about what you actually did during those hours.)
there are certain experiences -- most notably, the overall rhythm and timing af the exam -- that you can't replicate outside the environment of a practice test. if you just solve a bunch of individual questions all the time, you will be unprepared for the time-management and stamina aspects of the test (each of which is just as important, if not more so, than the objective content of the exam).
Questions to Experts-
-How often should i review once im done with a particular topic, say if im done with Number property today, should i review them every day till the exam day or once in a week?
-Should i redo all the problems again and again, or just a view is enough?

Thanks In adv
Sam
well...

* if you have actually been studying for eight hours a day, the first thing you should do is close the books and walk away from this test for at least two weeks (preferably at least a month). at this point, if that's the case, your brain will be absolutely fried; you will be swimming in fake "rules" that you've attempted to memorize, and you will have absolutely no capacity left for thinking. in a state like that, you simply won't be able to change the way you think, so studying would be pointless until you give your brain some detox / recuperation time.

* when you say "review", what exactly do you mean? i.e., what constitutes "review" for you?

* when you say "redo the problems", are you talking about solving them in different ways[/i] when you go back and redo them?
if so, that could be a very fruitful endeavor. in fact, this should basically be your NUMBER ONE GOAL when you review math problems -- try to find as many ways as possible to solve the problems. in general, if you've only found 1 way to solve a problem (especially one of the later problems in the book), then you are not "done" with that problem; you should try to find other ways.
on the other hand, if you're talking about going back and using exactly the same process you used the first time you solved the problem, then that's a waste of your time -- and, if done to excess, will ultimately work against you by making your thought processes less flexible.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

by sam2012 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:15 am
First of all thanks so much Ron, for your time and helping me in understanding my flaw in prep.
what did you actually do for eight hours in a day?
I used to try lot of problems topic by topic, first i used to pick up basics from MGMAT books and solving problems topic wise, i solved close to 3000 problems in quant alone till Jan (but randomly reviewed as i was running short of time), and later on i picked up SC did MGMAT SC, OG, VR, moved to CR, Did MGMAT CR book, CR bible and OG, VR, and during the last week i solved few RC passages and worked on AWA.
All the above exercise were never under timed situation, i used to take my own time (this is one more flaw as i never trained my brain to solve them under time pressure)
problems from where?
Problems from GMATprep collection about 500 questions,GMAT focus,sets,OG , QR, Gmat club questions, MGMAT Challenge problems and question bank, also some of jeff sackmann question bank book.
I was under an impression that the score algorithm wont be as good as the gmat prep, and i was scared that this score will demotivate my learning, i did not try gmat prep software as most of the question collections i had were all from that software so did not do it either.
* when you say "review", what exactly do you mean? i.e., what constitutes "review" for you?
I used to write down my answers step by step under each problem and was reviewing them often.
* when you say "redo the problems", are you talking about solving them in different ways[/i] when you go back and redo them?

Different way! I used to solve each problem the way i learnt in the first place most methoods are from fourm experts.

My question-
-How to actually review, and how often should it be?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:770

by Luke.Doolittle » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:48 am
I got a PM about this post so I wanted to respond.

There isn't a whole lot I can add on top of what Ron has already pointed out. He's quite the GMAT wizard you know :).
How to actually review, and how often should it be?
How to review
There are probably as many ways to study / review as there are people, but I think there are some global guidelines:
  • Do practice problems from reliable sources. The most reliable are actually questions from the test, those would be the OG and reviews, and GMATPrep.

When you do practice problems, time yourself. For some reason I feel like people don't believe this is a test about time management. The concepts tested on the GMAT are quite simple. Their applications are a little harder. But the way you manage time may be the most important factor of all. If you can solve any problem in the OG but each problem takes you 3 minutes to solve, that's useless.

When you answer practice problems, regardless of whether you get them right, review them. As Ron pointed out above, this is a test about how you think. I spent substantially more time reviewing a problem than actually completing it. Why? Because I spent that time dissecting how I approached the problem and executed that approach. That is what is important.

When you do practice exams, mimic the actual exam settings as closely as possible. Isolate yourself, time yourself, only take scheduled breaks, don't have food next to you while testing, etc.
How often
There is no way you can figure this out except through trial and error. Read the post that is in my signature as it addresses this exact question. In summary, you need to find out where you are (ie your current scoring ability), where you want to be (your goal score) and at what rate can you increase your current score before you have any idea of timing. This implies that you need a way to measure your progress, otherwise its difficult to tell if your study method is working. If studying for 8 hours a day works for you and you are able to measurably improve your score that way, great! I know personally I burned out after about 3 hours in a single day and trying to study more only decreased my score. But I was able to determine that empirically because I measured my progress.

At any rate I hope that added something to the discussion!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:40 am
well, sam, there is at least one piece of good news here, and that's this: you've basically answered most of your own questions. in other words, you've already identified basically all the major problems in your approach. now you have to fix them, at least as far as possible at this point.
sam2012 wrote:i solved close to 3000 problems in quant alone till Jan (but randomly reviewed as i was running short of time), and later on i picked up SC did MGMAT SC, OG, VR, moved to CR, Did MGMAT CR book, CR bible and OG, VR, and during the last week i solved few RC passages and worked on AWA.
i'm genuinely interested in what your thought process was here. specifically, if you were literally solving thousands of problems, weren't you at some point motivated to take a practice test/assessment of some sort, in order to determine whether those practice problems were doing anything for you?

it's really an issue of balance. you don't want to go bonkers in the other direction, either -- in other words, you don't want to be one of those guys who takes twenty practice tests in a month -- but it's interesting that you didn't take even a single practice test to evaluate the effectiveness of all that practice.
All the above exercise were never under timed situation, i used to take my own time (this is one more flaw as i never trained my brain to solve them under time pressure)
well ... now you've got yourself in a fine situation here: you've basically trained yourself -- quite thoroughly, most likely, given the quantity of problems you described -- to work under the assumption of unlimited time.
i think this is perfectly clear already, but just in case it isn't: your first challenge is to un-train the "unlimited time" instinct ... which means that absolutely everything you do from this point onward must involve strict time limitations. at this point, you will probably have to overcompensate a little bit to restore the balance.
I was under an impression that the score algorithm wont be as good as the gmat prep, and i was scared that this score will demotivate my learning, i did not try gmat prep software as most of the question collections i had were all from that software so did not do it either.
well, at least we know what the problem is now.

... and now it's time for the bad news: from what you've written here, it's going to take nothing short of a complete personality transplant for you to succeed at this test.
right now you've got this problem with perfectionism -- that's "problem", as in crippling problem. unless something is absolutely perfect, wonderful, hearts and flowers all day, you've basically decided that you aren't going to do it.
the problem is that this test, the gmat, is specifically designed to kill test takers with perfectionistic attitudes. there is intense time pressure; you can get lots and lots of problems wrong and still end up in the highest percentiles; etc. the only thing you really can't do is hesitate, stare at problems that you don't know how to solve, or generally have an attitude of "i have to get everything right".

in order to succeed at this test, you will have to destroy every last ounce of perfectionism that remains in your mind, and replace it with a sense of trade-offs and priority setting.

that's not necessarily going to be easy, but, now, the good news: that's exactly the same kind of thinking you're going to need if you expect to be a business leader someday.
if you read just about any autobiography of a successful businessperson, one theme is pretty much constant: fail! fail! fail! ... and then maybe succeed after a bunch more failures.

if your attitude is "i'm not going to try anything that isn't perfect, in case it might demotivate me" -- well, guess what: if you have that attitude, then you're already demotivated!
you have to allow things to go wrong -- you have to allow lots and lots and lots of things to go wrong. that's the only place from which any genuine success ever comes: the sum total of lessons from an innumerable number of errors, mistakes, and failures.

Different way! I used to solve each problem the way i learnt in the first place most methoods are from fourm experts.
i don't really understand what this sentence means. however, if it means "i've dedicated a significant part of my study to finding as many ways as possible to solve the problems", then good. if it doesn't mean that, then bad.

for instance, consider problem #227 in the problem solving section of the official guide 12th ed. (i'm not allowed to reproduce official guide problems here.)
until you have worked out ALL of the following methods for this problem --
* traditional algebra solution, solving for x and y in terms of a and b and substituting into the target expression
* plugging in your own specific numbers for a, b, x, y and working out the problem in terms of those specific values, rather than with variables
* taking the given expressions for a and b and substituting them directly into the answer choices, seeing which answer choice reduces to the target expression
-- you can't really say that you are truly "done" with REVIEWING the problem. if you just solve the problem in one way and then declare yourself done with it, that's not a very useful review.

good luck.

--

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

by sam2012 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:46 am
Thanks So much guys..I will be starting my preparation again soon.

Here is the summary of guidelines to follow while preparation.
1- Quality matters not quantity.
2- practice under timed situation.
3- Take couple of tests to see the progress.

Need clarity
1-Most of the questions i solved on 1st try, went wrong and i found them all unique, so if i solve these questions in more than 2 ways will this fix the issue?

2-Also should i keep redoing problems which are done or just rereading the solution is enough

3- For me review constitutes rereading the steps which i have written under each problem, do you mean review is to redo problem in different ways?

Ta
Sam

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:58 am
hi,
sam2012 wrote:Thanks So much guys..I will be starting my preparation again soon.

Here is the summary of guidelines to follow while preparation.
1- Quality matters not quantity.
2- practice under timed situation.
3- Take couple of tests to see the progress.
this much is encouraging.
however, what's still unclear at this point -- especially given the remainder of what you wrote -- is whether you have a sufficient grasp on what "quality" means on this exam.
have you ever taken a little time to think about what this exam actually is -- about how it works on an essential level? if not, then you should do so, it seems that certain core facts about the exam, such as the fact that you'll never see exact replicas of previous questions, are still eluding you.
Need clarity
1-Most of the questions i solved on 1st try, went wrong and i found them all unique, so if i solve these questions in more than 2 ways will this fix the issue?
it will help to fix the issue, but you won't be able to fix the issue unless you learn to generalize the methods that you use. for instance, if you solve a problem by using algebra, and then go back and solve it by plugging in your own numbers for the unknowns, that practice won't become truly useful until you figure out the general aspects of those techniques that can actually be used on future problems.
e.g., if you substitute values for unknowns, how will you recognize future problems on which that is possible? if you use a particular algebraic formula or a certain type of organizational chart, what are the clues that suggest the use of that particular formula/chart? etc.

if you just solve individual problems and then move on to other individual problems, you will not make any meaningful progress.

2-Also should i keep redoing problems which are done or just rereading the solution is enough

3- For me review constitutes rereading the steps which i have written under each problem, do you mean review is to redo problem in different ways?
from what i've written above, you should know what the answer to this question is.
this is an exam on which no two questions are the same -- in other words, an exam that always tests the same basic concepts, but always mixes those concepts together and tests them in ways that, superficially, are new every time.

imagine that you're a chess player and your opponents use different strategies every time they play you. if that's the case, will it be enough simply to revisit previous games and go over the same strategy that you already used? or will you have to come up with new ways to counter your opponents' tactics.
same here.

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members

by ronnie1985 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:58 am
With such extensive study schedule, one must see that the practice problems are imparting problem solving skills in you.
Follow your passion, Success as perceived by others shall follow you

e

by sam2012 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:47 am
Thanks v much Ron.. I will be starting my prep soon.
Just to cross check how should one get take aways, and extract info from question type mentioned below and how this info are used in future problems.Are there any common technique to extract take away or info which are applicable to any future problems?

(Question from Gmat prep- https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prop-qu ... 65554.html)
Rasheed bought two kinds of candy bars, chocolate and toffee, that came in packages of 2 bars each. He
handed out 2/3 of the chocolate bars and 3/5 of the toffee bars. How many packages of chocolate bars did
Rasheed buy?
(1) Rasheed bought 1 fewer package of chocolate bars than toffee bars
(2) Rasheed handed out the same number of each kind of candy bar
Attachments
prep q.png

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by n2739178 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:16 am
Hi Ron,

I've finally understood the value of takeaways rather than memorising questions I've screwed up, thanks to your excellent posts - thanks heaps!

I'm also very curious, like Sam2012, about what to do with takeaways and how to remember them once you've extracted them from a problem. I've heard that making flashcards is one way of doing it, an example of one of my takeaways that I made into a flashcard is in the picture below (I use a flashcard program called Anki - https://ankisrs.net/ to make these flashcards and put them on my mobile phone for review - great program btw).

and here is another one - I'm thinking to put a "SIGNALS" thing in there to take note of the various signals in the problem:

the question that I have is this: how do I best remember this lesson in the future when doing similar questions? Should I make flashcards and review them regularly, or just put all my takeaways in one big Word document and review them regularly and before doing a new set of questions?

I'm thinking also that I should NOT redo the question again in the future (unless there's something I specifically need to practice) but rather, I should create takeaways and then revise the takeaways...?

thanks

.s

by n2739178 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:42 am
sorry ignore this post I don't konw how to delete it , I created it by accident

Community Manager
Followed by:52 members

by neelgandham » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:20 pm
Anil Gandham
Welcome to BEATtheGMAT | Photography | Getting Started | BTG Community rules | MBA Watch
Check out GMAT Prep Now's online course at https://www.gmatprepnow.com/

by n2739178 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:34 am
mmm definitely can't see the 'delete post' option :(

Community Manager
Followed by:52 members

by neelgandham » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:38 am
Can you please click on the 'Edit' button located at the top-right corner(of the post)and PM me the screengrab?
Anil Gandham
Welcome to BEATtheGMAT | Photography | Getting Started | BTG Community rules | MBA Watch
Check out GMAT Prep Now's online course at https://www.gmatprepnow.com/