710 but missed 5 min on math - help appreciated

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hey guys,

I took my GMAT 2 weeks ago and scored a 710 (49/38).

During the math part both of my pens stopped working, so I had to wait
for ~3-5 minutes until the administrators came and changed them.
This made me nervous and lowered my score, but I didn't have time to
make a new appointment and I was so focussed on the test that I didn't even
complain about it.

Do you think there is anything I can do? Explaining the issue in a motivitational letter
for example would sound like a really bad excuse.

I scored 4,5 on my AWA (34%). Is this presentable for good schools?

Thank you for your help,

z.acK

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:730

by dav35 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:52 am
you scored a 700+ and managed to score 80th percentile or higher on each section. I would call that a success!

the AW isn't great, but I doubt that it holds you back. I would focus on your applications. You can compensate (the poor AW score) by writing good essays on your applications.

congratulations!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:700

by Bschool2013 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:05 am
Congrats on the score! It's tempting to wonder what you could have done with 3-5 more minutes on the Quant, but a 49 is tough to beat, so I wouldn't worry about it.

As for the AWA - don't sweat it, a 4.5 = 6.0. Schools barely look at it. Think of it more as a pass/fail, and you passed.

GMAT Score:710

by adpgh0128 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:10 am
Your score is good enough that it really isn't necessary to explain that you didn't finish. No one will know that was the case, and quite honestly most people would be happy with your Quant score even if they completed the section. It's a pretty good score if you ask me, and should make you a competitive candidate.

As was previously mentioned, don't sweat the 4.5 on AWA, there's a lot of debate over whether scores care about it at all. Make up for it in the other parts of your application and you should be able to intrigue some of the top programs.

by swipesville » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:34 am
Nah there's nothing you can do. Everyone has a reason they didn't do as well on the GMAT as they would have liked. Some are test-center related, some are time related (demanding job). Some are because they were last picked in kickball as a kid. At the end of the day you get what you get. I was in a similar boat because I rocketed up from a 580 to a 700 between attempts 2-3. I wish ppl had told me the test was going to be a lot tougher and told me not to take my sweet time during the start and middle cuz i was rushing at the end when it got hard. There's my excuse for not getting a 730.

Everyone always wishes they had done better, snagged those extra 30 points. But don't forget you definitely had a few things go your way to get the 710 you got, don't take that for granted. Forget about the pens, you're in the 700 club if you wanna reach for 740 good luck, but for now you chalk this thing up as a win.

~Brett