1 Acceptance and 3 Waitlists! What to do?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

1 Acceptance and 3 Waitlists! What to do?

by michaele15 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:48 am
I need some quick advice on how to go forward with my quest to getting an MBA. I just got into UCLA Anderson! woot woot. However, I have been waitlisted at Fuqua, Texas, and Ross. I have to put a deposit down for Anderson by April 25th. The question I have is should I communicate to Fuqua, Texas, and Ross my situation/or update them on that I have been accepted to Anderson. I know Texas is going to be sending an update to waitlisted applicants next week on whether they remain on waitlist, get in, or are dinged, but who knows about fuqua and ross. Have you guys heard of people paying the deposit and then losing it when they accept another schools acceptance? I am looking for a strategy on how to approach this great problem that I am having.

Thanks!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:760

by DCJen » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:08 am
Do you really prefer one of these other programs to UCLA Anderson, or is it partly a matter of wanting to have options?

I would say that if one of those other programs is your DREAM program, then you might as well contact that program (politely) and see what time frame you're looking at for a final decision, and if there are additional materials that would help your case. I'm not sure I would use your acceptance to another program as part of that conversation, though. I'm sure all the programs are aware of the various deadlines for the other schools. Worst case scenario is that you put down your deposit with UCLA, and then have to give the money up when you get into another program.

And as a UCLA alumna, I'm going to make a shameless plug for how awesome the campus is (not to mention Los Angeles weather, you can't forget that!). My undergrad on-campus job was with the Anderson school, and the professors, administrators and students were really fantastic. You'll have a great experience there.

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:54 pm
Should you communicate to the other schools that you got into UCLA? No, they won't care.
Have I heard of people paying 1 deposit and then losing it? Yes, I've heard of it. Had a friend who had to do it last year especially because this friend applied in many different rounds so the deadlines were staggered. It is "frowned upon" but you need to do what is best for you and if you're holding out for what you deem a better school (for you) then do what you have to do. The opportunity cost of not attending a school that you would have been a better "fit" at is higher than the deposit for any school.

Hope that helps.
michaele15 wrote:I need some quick advice on how to go forward with my quest to getting an MBA. I just got into UCLA Anderson! woot woot. However, I have been waitlisted at Fuqua, Texas, and Ross. I have to put a deposit down for Anderson by April 25th. The question I have is should I communicate to Fuqua, Texas, and Ross my situation/or update them on that I have been accepted to Anderson. I know Texas is going to be sending an update to waitlisted applicants next week on whether they remain on waitlist, get in, or are dinged, but who knows about fuqua and ross. Have you guys heard of people paying the deposit and then losing it when they accept another schools acceptance? I am looking for a strategy on how to approach this great problem that I am having.

Thanks!
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:37 am
I'm with "the money" here :)
You gotta do what is best for you. So if you lose the deposit, you lose the deposit, but securing your future!
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:660

by wmalum2006 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:00 pm
michaele15 wrote:I need some quick advice on how to go forward with my quest to getting an MBA. I just got into UCLA Anderson! woot woot. However, I have been waitlisted at Fuqua, Texas, and Ross. I have to put a deposit down for Anderson by April 25th. The question I have is should I communicate to Fuqua, Texas, and Ross my situation/or update them on that I have been accepted to Anderson. I know Texas is going to be sending an update to waitlisted applicants next week on whether they remain on waitlist, get in, or are dinged, but who knows about fuqua and ross. Have you guys heard of people paying the deposit and then losing it when they accept another schools acceptance? I am looking for a strategy on how to approach this great problem that I am having.

Thanks!
Yes, there are plenty of students who put down a deposit and lose it when accepted at another program that they considered a better choice. IF you think that Duke/Texas/Michigan are better, by all means stay on the waitlist, but I'd also ask UCLA for an extension until the next admissions deadline at your waitlisted schools, so I don't have to commit right away.