Religious Art form

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Religious Art form

by icemanKK » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:52 am
Some religious traditions have opposed the representation of the human form in religious art. In particular,the representation of divine personages with human characteristics is seen as demeaning to those who do not share the gender, racial, ethnic, age or other human characteristics portrayed in the representations of divine personages.

Which of the following if true, would constitute the strongest challenge to the validity of the concerns ?

A. Religious traditions are emotional and not logical
B. Religious art without the human form is meaningless
C. Research has failed to find anyone who shows evidence of being demeaned by representation of divine personages
D. Most religions do not oppose the representation of the human form
E. All people are equal in the eyes of God.

[spoiler]

OA : C

I am not satisfied with the answer cause I feel it openly refutes the premise, which says some people are demeaned.

In this case, why cant we opt for Option D. This refutes that people dont oppose at all. I do understand that option D will thus render the stimulus unworthy of even evaluation in this case, but I really dont understand - Why C over D ? Is the research outcome to be believed ?
[/spoiler]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:610

by scholardream » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:02 am
Hi icemanKK,
Plz provide your opinions on my work below:
Premise: some religious traditions >< Representatio nof Human form i nreligious art.
Conclusion: Not share Gender, racial, ethnic... -> demeaning: representation of divine personages.
Question: Strongest challenge VALIDITY of the concern -> Weaken the conclusion, I could interpret like: share or not share Gender, racial... WON'T make representation of personages Meaningless.
(A) Emotional & not logical are the CHARACTERISTICS of religious, not the religious art we are refering to.
(B) This provides new information attached the premises. Not the conclusion!
(C) Failed to provide an evident support the Conclusion -> the conclusion is weak. Put as contender
(D) Provide new information no help to attache conclusion.
(E) Provide new information no help to attache conclusion.

Therefore, I choose (C)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by icemanKK » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:58 am
Hi ,

Your solution seems good to me. But I am not sure if I am right in practising questions from this source, as many claim it does not represent GMAT best.