Could you please evaluate my profile?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Could you please evaluate my profile?

by mahen_gupta » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:00 am
GMAT - 730/5.5/Verbal-39/Quant-50 (This was my 3rd attempt. Prior Scores were 620 and 660)
Academics - Indian percentage system; Does not follow US GPA. Excellent record. Always been in top 10% of class. Completed graduation with Honors.
Degree - Electrical Engineering
Extra Curricular- not impressive
Work Ex - 10 Years, First 6 Years in IT Consulting. For last 4 years, working with a large US insurance company in IT support as a Project Manager. Working in US for more than 6 years.
Age - 32
MBA Aspirations - Secured admission in India's Top most MBA program. Want to go for a top tier school in US.

Question - I want to move on to business consulting and to secure this kind of profile, I want to leverage my experience as an IT consultant( 6+ years) and my excellent insurance industry knowledge.
1) Given that most of the top tier US schools have an average age of 27-28 years for their MBA programs; does it make sense at this stage in life to go for a 2 year MBA program?
2) Also, Do I stand a chance for top-10 MBA programs?
3) Do people in my age group stand equal chance in the palcements?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:28 pm
Hi mahen_gupta,

Executive MBA programs look for candidates with 10+ years of work experience, and 2 year MBA programs are better fits for individuals who are looking to transition into new industries. I am not sure what your goals are post-graduation.

Older candidates will face challenges because they have to prove that it makes sense to return to school at this late stage of their career, and that they are not merely encountering a mid-career crisis. They will also have to demonstrate that all of their time in the work world has been well spent. They should demonstrate progression, tangible contributions, and a high level of self-awareness, confidence, and maturity.

Here is a case study of an older candidate who was accepted into Harvard Business School and Tuck:

https://www.stacyblackman.com/2011/05/12 ... applicant/

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me