650 to 750 3 months ..

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:8 members

650 to 750 3 months ..

by arunmb2002 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:33 am
Hello All,

Apparently this is my first post in BTG and today is the first day i created an account here. But i couldn't stop myself from thanking this site and forum. Last three months i was struggling with my preparation and this a place where i cleared all my doubts and questions. I know many people who are active members in this site, and I am deeply in dept to them for my success.

This is my path to success

July 2011
Manhattan Free test - 630
Gmat prep 1 - 640
Gmat prep 2 - 620
Gmat original - 650 ( Best among all but still not enough at all :( )

After this i took a long break of 4 months i left Gmat from my mind. I went onsite to Belgium.
Then suddenly Gmat starte taunting me again and i decided to go for round 2 again.

The journey started at around mid of december and I started with Manhattan SC guide(SC is my weekest and today also after getting 750 i will say it is still my weekest )
Slowly i started getting obsessed with this test and it became like a do or die fight. I keep on preparing only verbal for two months till February 2012. Then i decided it is time for the real game.
I bought the Manhattan test series and started taking my tests.

Manhattan Test 1 - 710 ( I was so happy as i didn even start my QA prep and i was too confi)
Manhattan Test 2 - 650 ( I was crushed down to ground by gmat now. I was full down and lost all confi and energy i had till date)
Manhattan Test 3 - 690 (But i told myself to come back and fight back really worked hard and build up my confi again and took this one after 1 week)
Manhattan Test 4 - 680 (Little less but i kept my cool continued the hard work)
Manhattan Test 5 - 710 ( finally i was beack where i started, little breathing space :) )

But after test 5 i was just 1 week away from my test day. Suddenly a sudden rush of terror and fear held me. I was too sad, tensed and low of confidence(no particular reason :( )

Any way i took my 1st real Gmat prep test

GMAT Prep Test 1 - 750 (Wow.... but this didnt cheer my up.. my tension was gone .. but confidence was not fully back. I though bec of lot of repeats i got this)

GMAT Prep test - 2 - 730 (I was happier this time than the last 750, my confidence build up, i felt like i can cross 730 atleas not easily)

And finallyyyyyyyyyy today i got 750 in the real GMAT............

I am soooooo happyyyyyyy ...
i might have visted BTG more than 500 times ... thanksss BTG and thanks all cool people out there ....

My detail Score

QA 49 85 -- (this is same as my last time score)
Verb 44 97 ---( last time it was 29 ... and my two months rigorous hard work paid off)
Total 759 98

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Vivek Badgamia » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:05 am
Congrats mate!! good luck for your applications!!! Im particularly poor @ verbal!! wanted to know what u did in particular to boost your verbal score?

by arunmb2002 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:11 pm
1. Read and understand Manhattan Sentence correction guide. Take your own time for this,if it takes 5 times to read this understand what they have written then do so. If you don't understand what they are telling first second or third time .. keep your faith and try hard. And once you are confident that you have fully understood the entire concept, i bet there is nothing else tested in sentence correction for GMAT. (I skipped the chapter for Idioms, it is too long and time consuming)

2. Once you have enough confidence after reading the above guide, start doing some 200 or so SC questions from 1000SC. You will get the feel of SC by now. At this stage do not count the time you take or your percentage of success. Just concentrate on getting used to the questions ans general feel of it. And whenever in doubts search the SC in BTG and you will get enough explanation for each of them.

3. Now go back to SC guide again and do a quick revision. By this time u ll be good enough in basic grammar which GMAT will be testing you.

4. This is the most crucial phase, start working OG questions. Don't do more than 15 questions per day. Analyze each and every question irrespective of whether you got it right or wrong. And give special attention to each wrong and understand why GMAT is saying each answer is wrong.
If you do this activity with full dedication, i ensure you will get 90% success in sc. And if you do so CR and RC is not a big deal according to me.

For CR and RC my preparation was very limited. I practiced more, rather than studying notes. But i do refer two documents which taught me many tip, tricks and strategies. And the strategy do count on the exam day. So dont ignore them.

CR - Power score critical reasoning guide
RC - Manhattan RC

by Vivek Badgamia » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:52 am
Thanks a ton Arun!! SC and RC are my weak points on the verbal section. Shall try and implement your method for SC. On my 2 GMAT attempts, I ended up with 23 and 25 on the verbal sections!!! Thanks once again!!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:680

by sam2304 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:41 am
Congrats on your great score. Even my VA is too low :( I don't have trouble with SC, faring well in CR but my RC is pathetic. Which materials did you use for CR and RC practice ? ?
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.
https://gmatandbeyond.blogspot.in/

by arunmb2002 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:07 pm
RC
Strategy - Manhattan Reading Comprehension
Practice - https://www.codecoax.com/grerc/ & OG 12

CR
Strategy - Critical Reasoning bible - Powerscore
Practice - GMAT tutor & OG 12

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:26 pm
Great work and great debrief!
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Sheriff » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:07 am
CONGRATULATIONS on an amazing score and thanks for the tips!

by anil.lohan » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:38 am
Congrats Dude and thanks a lot for the information.

by Carcass » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:44 pm
I believe more this debrief mades of blood and guts rather than debrief of one month and BINGO.

I'd like to ask you one thing : on Q what is your background and preparation for the Gmat ?? how much did you struggle with this part of the test ??'

by Yogeshh » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:57 pm
Congrats man, In the debrief you mentioned something about 1000SC, for last one week i am searching for it, if it possible could you please forward it to me. (mail id: [email protected])

Best of luck for your application.

Thanks in advance.

by arunmb2002 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:12 am
Carcass wrote:I believe more this debrief mades of blood and guts rather than debrief of one month and BINGO.

I'd like to ask you one thing : on Q what is your background and preparation for the Gmat ?? how much did you struggle with this part of the test ??'

@ Carcass I believe my quant is good ..But i went through all the Manhattan Quant strategy books ... they have some real good strategy and you will feel more comfortable doing questions when you know them ...
I spent around 3 weeks for Maths .. i went through all their 5 books and did all the OG quant questions .. thts all

by PhDmessi » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:05 am
Great job and so motivating, congratulations!
Maybe it has been asked a lot, but where can I get the 1000SC?

Quote: 2. Once you have enough confidence after reading the above guide, start doing some 200 or so SC questions from 1000SC.

Thank you
Never give up!