Queen Anne

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Queen Anne

by rahulvsd » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:19 am
At a time when Queen Anne was so ill that she had to be hoisted up between floors of her palace, the Whigs had seized upon their best gambit in the war between the parties and, hovering nervously, Defoe was between upholding the ministry's commitment to the Protestant succession and his own sense of how vital such a commitment must be.

Ans Choices:
(A) their best gambit in the war between the parties and, hovering nervously, Defoe was between
(B) its best gambit in the war between the parties, and nervously, Defoe hovered either
(C) their best gambit in the war between the parties and Defoe, nervously, hovered between
(D) its best gambit in the war between the parties and Defoe hovered nervously on
(E) their best gambit in the war between the parties, and Defoe hovered nervously between

[spoiler]OA: E. Why E is better than C.[/spoiler]
Last edited by rahulvsd on Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by snigdha.singh16 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:22 am
Ans Choices:

(C) their best gambit in the war between the parties and Defoe, nervously, hovered between
(E) their best gambit in the war between the parties, and Defoe hovered nervously between

OA: E. Why E is better than C.
Hi Rahul,

Option C distorts the meaning of the sentence. It implies that the war was between the parties and Defoe.
Whereas Option E has the correct intended meaning that the war was between the different parties only.

Hope this helps :)

Regards,
Snigdha

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:610

by scholardream » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:29 am
Underneath is how I tackle the question:
Firstly the 3-2 rule should be applied. I realize that 'the Whigs' is not a collective noun and that word should be plural noun,not singular one. Therefore, I eliminate B and D.
Secondly, I read all 3 answers carefully to comprehence the meaning of the sentence.
(A) 'hovering nervously' is put alone without any verb. Answer is to be eliminated
(C) Grammar is correct and it talks about 'war between the parties and Defoe', I questioned myself, does it means 'the parties'is against Defoe ? Absolutely not!
(E) Grammar is correct and the sentence's meaning is understandable.
So (E) is the correct answer.

How do you think ?

by rahulvsd » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:18 am
Thanks guys. Clear now. Good example of a sentence to drive home the fact that meaning holds the key in SC.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:610

by [email protected] » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:25 am
There is nothing underlined here...or only i am seeing that no sentence is underlined?

by agarwalva » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:41 am
I dont understand why "Whigs" is not a collective noun here

by rahulvsd » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:40 pm
Harsha,

Apologies for not underlining in the question. Have edited the question now.