What's needed to be competitive @ g-town/UVA?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

I have an undergrand GPA of 3.5 (slightly higher for my upper-division work) from UCSB and an MA from Hopkins. I have about 70 months of professional work experience (international development, project management, consulting, writing). I work in DC and don't really want to leave the area. Given my GPA, etc., what score would I need to receive on the GMAT to be competitive at Georgetown or UVA, generally speaking, of course?

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:13 am
Hi ihapa82,

The average GMAT score for Georgetown was a 686 and the average for UVA was a 701. I recommend aiming for a 700 on the test.

Here are some free GMAT tips: https://www.stacyblackman.com/tag/gmat/

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

by ihapa82 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:58 am
Thanks, Stacy.

I figured the average score or higher would be most ideal, but hypothetically, what would someone with a 3.5 GPA overall, extensive international/consulting/PPM experience (5 years or so), and an MA need to get at a school with a mean GPA of 3.31? I know the application is reviewed holistically, and this exercise my be in vain, but lets say everything else being equal, what would be the lowest score someone in my situation can get to stay competitive?

I haven't taken the GMAT yet, but would like to know my options depending on what my score ends up being (i.e., if I should apply, etc.).

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:52 am
ihapa82,

I understand your comments, but I recommend aiming for the average GMAT scores of the schools you are targeting. A low GMAT score is a tough one to "explain." Since all applicants take the same test under the same circumstances, and you are allowed to retake the test as frequently as you like, it is difficult to come up with a good reason for why you cannot hit that 700.

Remember that your GMAT score is self-reported on your application, so admissions teams will focus on your highest score. Do not be concerned about taking the test more than once.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

by ihapa82 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:11 pm
Good point, Stacy. Thank you! To be on the safe side, do you think it's a good idea not to automatically send schools test scores and send them after (after someone knows what he/she gets)? Or am I getting the process confused? I was under the impression people can list a certain number of school codes that the GMAC will send automatically?