Anticipating 2nd school decision

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Anticipating 2nd school decision

by afreshman » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:44 am
I've received a letter of acceptance from 1 of 2 schools I applied to. I won't know a decision on the 2nd school until May. I can't commit to the first school yet since I'm waiting on the 2nd. How should I handle any communication with the first school so I don't seem uninterested?

by uberessays » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:51 pm
This is not uncommon. I assume the 2nd school is your first choice.
In that case, you could request your 2nd school for an early decision. I was in a similar situation and requested for an early decision. Some applicants request the 1st school to push out the acceptance deadline explaining the reason.

Hope this helps.

-------------
www.uberessays.com
Essay reviews by your dream schools' students

by afreshman » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:50 pm
Thanks. Yes - 2nd school is first choice. Early decision isn't an option.

If I tell the 1st school to push out their acceptance deadline b/c they aren't my first choice, doesn't that make me look uninterested and also put me at risk if the 2nd school denies me?

What happens if I accept the 1st school, later get an acceptance to the 2nd school and then back out on the 1st school?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:660

by wmalum2006 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:48 am
afreshman wrote:Thanks. Yes - 2nd school is first choice. Early decision isn't an option.

If I tell the 1st school to push out their acceptance deadline b/c they aren't my first choice, doesn't that make me look uninterested and also put me at risk if the 2nd school denies me?

What happens if I accept the 1st school, later get an acceptance to the 2nd school and then back out on the 1st school?
If that happens then you lose your enrollment deposit money for the 1st school. Try to extend the deposit deadline for the first school first. Once you're offered a spot, they aren't just going to take it back at that point. Just say thank you for the acceptance, but request an extra week or two for the 2nd school to send you a decision back.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:18 members

by FutureWorks » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:43 am
You should definitely talk to the schools to inform that you grateful to be selected. Then you can tell
them if they can give you some extra time to make formal acceptance.