THE FREE ONLINE KAPLAN TEST

Ask your questions about Kaplan products/services here
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

THE FREE ONLINE KAPLAN TEST

by vilavb » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:26 pm
Hi,

I just signed up and took the practice test made available on the kaplan website. My question is whether this test is a real simulation of the GMAT. In other words does it follow the same adaptive format and system of marks? Also there is a lot of debate that Kaplan tests are difficult and the scores are skewed. How true is this? Finally what's the recommended amount of practice tests one should take before the GMAT?

Thanks

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:2 members

by Jen Kedro » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:13 pm
Hi vilavb,

Thanks for your message, and congrats on beginning your GMAT prep.

The free GMAT test on Kaplan's website is full-length and has realistic GMAT-style questions, but it is not adaptive. Currently we offer 9 adaptive exams online, available to our enrolled students (who take a classroom or online course), as well as several CATs as part of a retail book you can purchase on amazon or through our website.

Our retail book does include a CDROM with an admittedly more outdated scoring algorithm, which is where some comments about our low scores come from. As of this year, however, our retail department has started offering those who purchase the book access to a few of our online CATs, which have the same up-to-date and accurate scoring algorithm as we offer to our enrolled students. As of next year, the CDROM will be eliminated entirely, to reduce this confusion. We apologize for any confusion along the way, but do note that if you take our online CATs as an enrolled student or through the online companion with a recent book, scoring is very accurate and realistic.

We generally recommend that students take the full 9 CATs as part of their course; most of our enrolled students are prepping for 2-3 months part-time. I'd say at a minimum you'd want to take 4-5 CATs. It's important to get that timed, full-length, realistic practice in, and to build up your skills and stamina for the actual exam.

Please let us know if we can be of further help, and good luck with your studies.
Jen Kedrowski
Kaplan Test Prep & Admissions
GMAT Teacher
MBA Admissions Consultant
National Product Team Member

by vilavb » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:14 am
Hey Jen,

Thanks so much for the reply. But does that mean that the Kaplan algorithm isn't adaptive at all or is it that the algorithm's adaptability isnt like that of the GMAT (or the free GMAT Prep tests). I just bought myself the GMAT 800. Its a great book. Tough indeed.

Also how different is the Companion on the 2007 version from the 2008 version? A friend of mine recently bought the KAPLAN PREMIER PROGRAM 2008-09 book. The CD Companion that came with it says Copyright 2004 in the User Guide. Does this mean the tests are the 2004 version?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:2 members

by Jen Kedro » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:49 am
Hi,

Please let me clarify. Kaplan's CAT algorithm IS adaptive, and is designed to mimic the real GMAT (and GMAT Prep), and again we assess our scoring and validity on a regular basis. We have 9 online CATs as part of our core prep curriculum, offered to those who take a live or online course with us.

If you are unable to take a course of some type, and you just purchase a book, you are more limited in your access to our CATs. Some books contain a CDROM with some CATs on it which are quite old, as you pointed out, and the final scores given with that old algorithm are less accurate. (Our most accurate and current tests are online, not on a CDROM). The newest Kaplan books, that came out this year, also allow you to access several of our online CATs instead, which I would recommend instead of using the CDROM.

Finally, the free test on our website is NOT a CAT, meaning it is not adaptive at the present time. It is full-length and provides you with an idea of GMAT style questions, and gives an approximate score, but it's really just a starting point. Once you truly begin prepping, you should be using adaptive exams.

As to your question about which book, again I'd recommend the more recent one, and accessing the online CATs.

Hope that helps, and glad that you found the GMAT 800 book to be helpful.

All the best,
Jen Kedrowski
Kaplan Test Prep & Admissions
GMAT Teacher
MBA Admissions Consultant
National Product Team Member

Access of online test

by somlop » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:52 pm
Hi,

Unfortunately I cannot take the online test since I receive the attached error every time I want to take it. Any ideas?
Attachments
Syllabus.JPG
error_2.JPG

by saurabh_d48 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:03 am
Hi Jen .... I am looking specifically for a Test Series for GMAT . I am not interested in taking up an online full course. Does Kaplan provide such specific CAT Mock Test series . Please revert .

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by clawhammer » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:34 am
Does Kaplan offer a paid plan only for the CATs available online?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:62 members

by KapTeacherEli » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:00 pm
clawhammer wrote:Does Kaplan offer a paid plan only for the CATs available online?
Hi Clawhammer,

I'd be happy to help, but I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Can you clarify to help me find the information that you're looking for?
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by clawhammer » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:58 pm
Is there a reduced price if I only want to take the Kaplan preparation tests that are adaptive? Without other services.

GMAT Instructor

by KapTeacherEli » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:28 pm
Hi Clawhammer,

I'm glad to hear that you want to use our tests--you've made a great choice to help you beat the GMAT!

If you just want tests, then the best deal you can get are the CATs that come with our Kaplan Premier materials, available at major booksellers. A step above that is our GMAT On-Demand program, with comprehensive access to all of the online resources, including video-recorded lessons, that our classroom students have access to. To the best of my knowledge there isn't a way to solely buy the 9 CATs included in GMAT On-Demand and nothing else, but I've passed this question along to customer care in case there is a program that's slipped my mind.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Eli
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by minar » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:50 am
The free kaplan-online-test for GMAT is merely the online version of the test that I got in the book titled "KAPLAN GMAT" 2007 edition. The questions are pretty old and easy. Specially, the verbals are not of standard at all. GMAT changed a lot by last 4 years, right? So, KAPLAN could have updated their question standard.

When I got the e-mail from KAPLAN asking for enrolling in free online test, I was excited indeed. However, when I started the test I realized that the questions are no new. I had been expecting that in verbal section I would get new questions, but not at all...

Anyway, this is completely my personal experience and opinion. Some people may find the online free test helpful as well.

GMAT Instructor

by KapTeacherEli » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:32 pm
Hi Minar,

Thanks for your feedback! I'm sorry you didn't feel like the online diagnostic is up to snuff. Personally, I don't think it's that bad, but I agree with you that it's not perfect. That said, it's not MEANT to be. The diagnostic is a tool to allow test-takers unfamiliar with GMAT prep to zero in on their areas of strength and weakness, and to familiarize themselves with the content and question types of the test. For that reason it doesn't use the updated scoring method, or question pool, or the rest of Kaplan's CATs.

Hope this helps!
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by saviogmat » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:48 pm
Hi Jen/Eli,

Scored a 690 on the Kaplan online diagnostic test taken last Friday. 88 percentile on Quant and about a 66 percentile on Verbal... Read this thread about the test not being a CAT one.... I am looking towards a 760 +. Would a score of 690 ( without currently any prep) be a good start towards that goal?. However I am used to CAT's ( GRE: 10 years ago plus CAT the Indian entrance 10 years ago: fairly successful attempts).

Also wanted to have access to the Kaplan CAT's ( all 9 of them as I feel they a are good practice). CAn i buy these without accessing the course? Or can I get access to them if I go for the Quiz bank?

Savio

GMAT Instructor

by KapTeacherEli » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:41 am
Hi Savio,

690 is definitely a great start! 760 + will take a lot of work, regardless, but you're already near 700, which is the level of score that schools consider "elite."

To get all 9 CATs, you must purchase a course--we do not sell them separately. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Eli
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage