Need Advice! Wait or apply?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Need Advice! Wait or apply?

by dscott » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:52 am
I am trying to decide if I should apply this year for fall 2012, or wait and apply on day one of round one for fall 2013. Please keep in mind that I would really prefer to start school this fall, as I am sick of my job, but I would be willing to wait if it means getting into a better school. I am open to lots of schools, if they are in the top 20, but was going to apply to USC, UCLA, UC IRVINE, UC DAVIS, Georgetown, and any others within the top 20 that anyone thinks I could get into. I recognize that getting into any of them this late in the app process might be unlikely.

If I wait, I can do some community service, and take a calculus and microeconomics course at UC Extension. I could also study hard and possibly get 700+ on the Gmat. I don't want to apply and reapply because it seems that would require me to do a great deal of work in the interim to prove to the schools that I have improved significantly from the previous app. Below are my stats.

-I recently took the GMAT and scored a 680 (85%) and 6 on essay portion (91%). This was better than all of my practice tests and I was incredibly happy with it. I think I can do better if it is something that most recommend.

-Graduated in 2007 with a degree in History from UC Berkeley. However, I'm not sure how much of a factor it is but, I was a transfer student, which means that I have two years of non UC Berkeley transcripts. This includes a summer program at NYU, a semester at University of Colorado, and two community colleges. My UC Berkeley GPA was 3.6, but if combined with all schools it probably is closer to 3.4.

-I have worked for one of the nations top plaintiff only law firms for the past three years. This is my only "real" and "notable" work experience. I thought perhaps I would attend law school, but decided against it. I unfortunately want nothing to do with the law, so coming up with a strong story as to why I want an MBA, and showing proof of a long term interest in that area, might be tough.

-As a history major I took very little math. In fact, the extent of my quantitative education in college was one statistics class in which I received an A. I thought perhaps I could take some math courses in the time before applying this fall.

-I am the captain of a soccer team but have no academic extra-curricular activities to speak of.

Please give me your thoughts. Should I just apply to Irvine and Davis, as the most likely options, and just go in the fall to kick off my new life?? Or should I wait it out, and improve my application and apply in September?

Thanks all!!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by dscott » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:20 pm
No help from anyone?? sigh...

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by zander21 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:08 pm
Go ahead and apply, it can't hurt. If you think you can put together good essays, good recommendations and can show achievement and leadership than you should. And if you don't get accepted, than you can do it again next year. I know people who have way lower GMAT and come from lesser schools and get into top schools. throw your name in the hat. the worst that can happen is you don't get in but you'll learn a ton and it would help you for next time. If you are ready and have the desire than do it. don't listen to people who say "don't apply 3rd round." as far as I know all the schools listed take reapplicants. And in my opinion you are setting yourself short, take a stab at even better schools. USC and UCLA are solid of course, but the others you should shoot for the stars! good luck.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:18 members

by FutureWorks » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:07 pm
Hi dscott

The answer depends on how strongly you feel for the schools you are applying to. If these are schools that meet your criteria and you feel you can make it go ahead. If you think you can do better and have more top schools in reach and then take some time off prepare your profile including gmat and apply.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by LizardFace » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:31 pm
What was your quant score on the GMAT?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:12 am
Well I can't tell you what to do with your life, and I don't know how much you hate your job (although you could simply try to change jobs rather than rushing things). but keep in mind two things: 1. IF you apply R1 you will greatly increase your chances of getting into a better school 2. You will greatly increase your chances of getting a scholarship 3. This will give you time to do yet better on an already very good GMAT.

So is it worth it? You need to decide based on your personal situation, but I would seek other opportunities first.
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by penpal0 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:21 am
I'd say go for it, it is possible to get admitted in r3, and in the worst case you'll get rejected and then you can reapply next year.
If you feel that a rejection will hurt your reapplication chances, maybe apply only to 1-2 schools now, and leave some options for yourself for next year.