Advice needed Please

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Advice needed Please

by MBA_Hopeful2018 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:13 pm
I just recently retook the GMAT and went down drastically (670 to a 570!!!). Something obviously went wrong because I was scoring 710's on my practice test. It just was a bad day all around. My first GMAT was skewed more towards quant, so I retook it thinking that I could improve my quant score since I felt like I under performed in that area on my first test.

I am currently a senior in college and I am already admitted to a very good MSF program which I will start next fall. My goal was to complete the MSF program, work 2-3 years in investment research/asset management, then go back to MBA School at one of the top finance programs (Wharton, Columbia, etc.). I was hoping to get the GMAT out of the way before I started work. I need some advice on what to do now.

Should I retake the GMAT again sometime in the next in the next two months before the test changes? Or Should I wait until the test changes and then try to retake the GMAT again. Or should I just concentrate on the rest of my application over the next 2-3 years and keep the 670 as my score. How will the 570 effect the way admissions committees view my first GMAT score? Will I need to address it in one of my essays?

Thank you for the advice,
MBA Hopeful

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:37 am
Hi MBA_Hopeful2018,

We recommend that you take the GMAT before the test changes, as there is already proven material to help you prep for the test.

Also, do not be overly concerned with your last test score. Your GMAT score is self-reported on your business school application, so admissions teams will focus on your highest score. Additionally, your test score will carry for 5 years.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by MBA_Hopeful2018 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:03 am
Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team,
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I really appreciate your advice. I will definitely be using your consulting team when it comes time to apply to MBASchool. In regards to my first post I misspoke. My first GMAT score was skewed towards verbal not quant. (I don't know if that changes anything in regards on what I should do next.) Could a MSF degree and obtaining the CFA make up for a low quant score on the GMAT? I have a finance and economics degree from a state university with a pretty high GPA (>3.85). Also is a 670 enough to work with for top MBA programs or is there a big difference between a 670 and say a 690/700.

Thank you again for the advice

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:32 am
Hi MBA_Hopeful2018,

Having a MSF degree, CFA, and a high undergraduate GPA in quant related course will help address a low quant score.

Regarding the GMAT score, there is a large difference between a 670 and a 700+. This is not to say you cannot be accepted with a lower GMAT score, but this is a tough one to "explain." Since all applicants take the same test under the same circumstances, and you are allowed to retake the test as frequently as you like, it is difficult to come up with a good reason for why you cannot hit that 700.

Remember that your GMAT score is self-reported, so do not be concerned about having to take the test again.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me