Profile Evaluation

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Profile Evaluation

by h_farabi1 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:27 am
Hi Stacy,

US colleges often claim that they evaluate work experience not in terms of years but the depth and breadth of an individual's position.
I am a renowned proffesional muscian with a solid undergraduate business degree seeking an MBA from Top-tier US college. Since high school, i have managed and played in a band that is signed with UNIVERSAL music India. I have successfully launched 2 music albums and 6 music vidoes across the sub-continent in the span of 6 years. Also, I Graduated from IBA, top business school of Pakistan, with a 3.2 GPA in june 2011. This promises to make an interesting application in my opinion.

After graduating, i did an internship at JWT followed by a tour of concerts for two months. My dream is to open the first legitimate music label in Pakistan so i can share my experience with other talented but under-priveldged mates in my country. I am currently working in MINDSHARE, a world renowned media planning company since 2 months which is helping me build a stong foundation and network to fufill that dream. The job involves in-depth analysis and use of media for promotional goals.

By the time i apply for MBA class entering fall 2013, I will have one and a half years mundane work experience with this company to go with my experience as the band member+manager for 7 years. I plan to sit for GMAT in june and hopefully get ready before the early deadline.

Do you think it would be wise to apply at this point(US colleges will recognize my unique application) or i should be realistic and wait till i fall into the dreaded 4-5 years work experience category? Thanks a lot

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:33 pm
h_farabi1,

Thanks for posting. You do have a very compelling candidacy and an interesting background.

Regarding your work experience, admissions teams will consider your experience as a band manager, however they focus on work experience post-graduation. This is why, although many students have internships during their time in college, business schools focus on the years of work after they have already graduated.

There is no "right" answer on the time to apply, as the answer depends on the particular person. Some programs (Ex: Harvard, Stanford), tend to look at younger candidates, while other programs have a tendency to favor applicants with more work experience.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by h_farabi1 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:48 am
Thanks a lot Stacy, It would be great if you could elaborate that a little more.

Due to my hectic schedule, I could not take up an active position of responsibility in any NGO but i enthusiastically worked with them in organizing and playing in charity concerts. I used my position of influence to make music videos for earthquake victims, fight against poverty and political suppression, and songs on India-Pakistan friendship which were aired on national TV. In retrospect, it blends pretty well with my overall theme.

Not to forget that the work I pursued work that integrates really well into my overall theme. As a media planner my job is to research and network with the media and make media plans that get maximum coverage for my client (PEPSICO). The job involves strategy, planning and quantitative analysis which I hear is music to AdComs' ears. Most importantly, it prepares me well for my post-MBA aspirations.
I am looking at a score of 700 + because my preparation is going well and I am a good test taker. You mentioned my MBA standards can be modified.

What 5 schools should I be looking at because I am really adamant in applying in the US top ten? Do I have a shot? In your opinion, what can I add to my profile to make it stronger for these schools?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:06 am
Hi h_farabi1,

Regarding your application, remember that business schools are looking to cultivate future leaders, so any leadership and management experience you can discuss will be important. As an example, as opposed to contributing to a charity effort, admissions teams love to see candidates who have started efforts or taken large roles. Business schools are looking for applicants who have taken initiative and have made an impact.

We have a list of case studies here of candidates who have been accepted into top programs:

https://www.stacyblackman.com/case-studies/

Regarding which schools you should consider, remember to not only focus on a school's ranking, but also on how the school can help you and your goals. As an example, if you determined to work in the music industry, then attending a school in New York (NYU Stern, Columbia) or Los Angeles (USC, UCLA Anderson), may be a good idea because these are entertainment hubs and will provide a great network of alumni.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me