OG 104

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

OG 104

by fangtray » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:30 pm
I can't understand the similiarity that the guide says that Colson = Spendless. What kind of new stores are popping up because of Colson's? how is that similiar to Spendless when Spendless closes stores. Below is the question:

Although the discount stores in Goreville's central shopping district are expected to close within five years as a result of competition from a SpendLess discount department store that just opened, those locations will not stay vacant for long. In the five years since the opening of Colson's, a nondiscount department store, a new store has opened at the location of every store in the shopping district that closed because it could not compete with Colson's.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

a. Many customer's of Colson's are expected to do less shopping there than they did before the SPendless store opened.
B. Increasingly, the stores that have opened in the central shopping district since Colson's opened have been discount stores.
C. At present, the central shopping district has as many stores operating in it as it ever had.
D. Over the course of the next five years, it is expected that Goreville's opulation will grow at a faster rate than it has for the past several decades.
E. Many stores in the central shopping district sell types of merchandise that are not available at either Spendless or Colson's.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:55 am
fangtray wrote:I can't understand the similiarity that the guide says that
Colson = Spendless. What kind of new stores are popping up because of Colson's?
how is that similiar to Spendless when Spendless closes stores. Below is the
question:

Although the discount stores in Goreville's central shopping district are
expected to close within five years as a result of competition from a SpendLess
discount department store that just opened, those locations will not stay vacant
for long. In the five years since the opening of Colson's, a nondiscount
department store, a new store has opened at the location of every store in the
shopping district that closed because it could not compete with Colson's.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

a. Many customer's of Colson's are expected to do less shopping there than they
did before the SPendless store opened.
B. Increasingly, the stores that have opened in the central shopping district
since Colson's opened have been discount stores.
C. At present, the central shopping district has as many stores operating in it
as it ever had.
D. Over the course of the next five years, it is expected that Goreville's
opulation will grow at a faster rate than it has for the past several decades.
E. Many stores in the central shopping district sell types of merchandise that
are not available at either Spendless or Colson's.
This CR makes an ANALOGY.
The premise is about X: Colson's NONDISCOUNT department store.
The conclusion is about Y: the SpendLess DISCOUNT department store.

The argument assumes that X is linked to Y: that what was true for Colson's (a NONDISCOUNT store) will be true for Spendless (a DISCOUNT store).
To break the link, the correct answer must show how Colson's and Spendless are DIFFERENT.

Answer choice B: Increasingly, the stores that have opened in the central shopping district since Colson's opened have been DISCOUNT stores.
This answer choice highlights a key DIFFERENCE between Colson's and Spendless. Colson's is a NONDISCOUNT store. Thus, the recently opened DISCOUNT stores have been able to compete with it. But Spendless is itself a DISCOUNT store. Its arrival likely will DISCOURAGE other discount stores from opening, invalidating the conclusion that the central shopping district will be able to fill its vacancies.

The correct answer is B.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by fangtray » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:16 am
if i understand correctly, a Colson's store is not moving in. They are just drawing some random analogy. and the new stores that open next to a Colson's could be ANY store.. non discount, discount, bookstores..grocery stores...etc..etc. and they are saying that since Colson's has this X affect, Spendless will have the same X affect, that is, stores will close, and then..new stores will reopen ?

Legendary Member
Followed by:43 members
GMAT Score:640

by GmatKiss » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:08 am
IMO: B