548 from 1000SC

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

548 from 1000SC

by senthil » Wed May 21, 2008 5:58 am
559. One of Ronald Reagan’s first acts as President was to rescind President Carter’s directive that any chemical banned on medical grounds in the United States be prohibited from sale to other countries.
(A) that any chemical banned on medical grounds in the United States be prohibited from sale to other countries
(B) that any chemical be prohibited from sale to other countries that was banned on medical grounds in the United States
(C) prohibiting the sale to other countries of any chemical banned on medical grounds in the United States
(D) prohibiting that any chemical banned on medical grounds in the United States is sold to other countries
(E) that any chemical banned in the United States on medical grounds is prohibited from being sold to other countries

As per manhattan 'directive' verb should be followed by 'that' ...

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by tar.goyal » Wed May 21, 2008 7:57 am
IMO the answer is C.
I think directive that is incorrect....so A,B,D are out. E is wordy and construction is also faulty.
I have started to realize that I am the one!!!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by senthil » Wed May 21, 2008 6:39 pm
Yep answer is C !

So basically can you explain when are we to use 'that' ? other than the subjunctive mood

Correct me if I am wrong , subjunctive mood is when a sentence conveys uncertainity !

thanks
Senthil