One of the Plural Noun Plural Verb question- Kaplan

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
From Kaplan

NOT ONE OF THE MEN AND WOMEN WHO DESIGNED THE X WAS AWARE THAT ITS APPLICATION WOULD BE AS FAR REACHING AS HAS BEEN THE CASE.

The ans is A

How can that be.

I thought that one of the plural nouns need a plural verb. so was should be were.

I think this should be the answer the one below

were aware that its application would be so far reaching as has been the case.

follows of of the rule and so X as Y rule.

Please clarify.

The more I practice the more my head swirls.

Thanks
Khurram Lakhani

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by khurram » Tue May 20, 2008 3:54 pm
I also know that quantifier +of+ noun +verb

So one is singular that may make sense.

Also

X is one of the plural noun who plural verb

EG The civic is one of the cars that run on hydrogen. Run on hydrogen ref to cars and civic is single and has single verb is.

ONE OF THE MEN AND WOMEN WHO DESIGNED THE X

So-- one of the plural noun(men and women) +who+designed the X--Is designed the plural verb ??

Still confused.

Thanks
Khurram

Am i thinking properly.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Clause

by Schrute Beets » Tue May 20, 2008 7:30 pm
I think that "who designed the X" is an adjective clause describing "men and women" in this question and that the word "one" should be treated as your subject. Therefore, "one" should be matched with the singular verb "was" as you suggest in your second post.

Hope that helps!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by rattanas » Tue May 20, 2008 10:28 pm
When a pronoun is followed by prepositional phrase;It becomes the subject of sentence...one of the men and women....of is the preposition...so one beomes subbject and "one" is "singular"........another thing...when any word with "body,thing and one" is the subject of sentence;its considered as singular noun...like somebody,everything,noone,one,each...all are considered as singular nouns..n so singular verbs.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by rattanas » Tue May 20, 2008 10:29 pm
When a pronoun is followed by prepositional phrase;It becomes the subject of sentence...one of the men and women....of is the preposition...so one beomes subbject and "one" is "singular"........another thing...when any word with "body,thing and one" is the subject of sentence;its considered as singular noun...like somebody,everything,noone,one,each...all are considered as singular nouns..n so singular verbs.