Deciding on which school to attend. Need help!!

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello Stacy,

I am new to the forum and was unsure if this was an appropriate question to ask, since I see that most people inquire about their profiles for admission, while I am actually deciding where to go post-admissions process. I was wondering if I may be able to receive some advice on what b-school would be best to attend, considering not only ranking but also my scholarships, goals, location, etc.

So basically, I am 24 years old and have been in DC for 7 years, working in the public sector on energy and environment issues. I desire to continue in sustainability but am interested in consulting, either as part of a major company (internal energy audits, sustainability initiatives, etc... like a Sustainability Director of Sony or Walmart or the like) or as part of the sustainability arm of a major firm (Accenture, Deloitte, etc.)

I am deciding between three schools:
1. Cornell
2. Ohio State
3. George Washington

Clearly, Cornell is the most prestigious however it is in Ithaca, I would be a small fish in a big, over achieving pond, and most importantly, I would be heavily (think $150-200k) in debt as I received no $. Love the program as there is a dedicated Sustainability "Immersion".

Ohio State is also a great program with a small class size, however it is in.. well.. Ohio. While it is not ranked as high as Cornell, it still is around 25 to 30. The program has a decent amount of sustainability in it, but the real kicker is that they gave me a significant scholarship (and while I can not disclose the details of it, it covers a large amount of tuition, rent and a monthly stipend so I would be about 30k or less in debt at the end).

Finally, GW. I am already here in DC and the city and its opportunities are tough to beat. While they gave me the largest scholarship, it only covers most of tuition but does not cover living expenses (which are huge here in DC). The location is really what draws me to GW as well as my existing network, but the program is not highly ranked, the resources are not as good as the two other schools, and the program does not have many specific "sustainability" aspects although the energy and Net Impact clubs are highly active. Again, though, it is in DC which means a lot.

Anyways, if you can get through that whole novel I wrote, I would appreciate any advice you could lend.

Thanks!!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:08 pm
Hi ny_mets,

Congratulations on your acceptance into these programs. Unfortunately, there is no "right" answer, but here are some points I want to emphasize.

If there are any particular companies you would like to work for (Ex: Accenture, etc.) I recommend you speak to the careers centers at each school to discuss which companies recruit there. Career centers are very open with this information. The reason is because many large multi-national firms only recruit at their target schools, and it can be difficult to be recruited if you do not attend one of these programs.

Second, I recommend you speak to current students and alumni at each schools. Aim to collect as many data points as you can, because although there is no "right" answer, the more research you do, the better you decision will be.

I am sure that in the end, you will make the best decision for yourself.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me