Official Guide #12 Question #128

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

Official Guide #12 Question #128

by fangtray » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:33 pm
A school administrator will assign each student in a group of n students to one of m classrooms. If 3 < m < 13 < n, is it possible to assign each of the n students to one of th em classrooms so that each classroom has the same number of students assigned to it?

1) 3n divisible by m
2) 13n divisible by m

on the explanation for 1) the book states...

given that 3n is divisible by m, then n is divisible by m if m = n = 9 and n is not divisible by m if m = 9 and n = 12. NOT Sufficient. How can n = 9 or 12 if the question states that n is > 13??

Community Manager
Followed by:52 members

by neelgandham » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:26 pm
Fangtray: Please find the solution here: https://www.beatthegmat.com/if-3-m-13-n-t16903.html. Let me know if you still need help !
Anil Gandham
Welcome to BEATtheGMAT | Photography | Getting Started | BTG Community rules | MBA Watch
Check out GMAT Prep Now's online course at https://www.gmatprepnow.com/

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:74 members
GMAT Score:770

by Whitney Garner » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:37 am
fangtray wrote:A school administrator will assign each student in a group of n students to one of m classrooms. If 3 < m < 13 < n, is it possible to assign each of the n students to one of the m classrooms so that each classroom has the same number of students assigned to it?

1) 3n divisible by m
2) 13n divisible by m

on the explanation for 1) the book states...

given that 3n is divisible by m, then n is divisible by m if m = n = 9 and n is not divisible by m if m = 9 and n = 12. NOT Sufficient. How can n = 9 or 12 if the question states that n is > 13??
Hi fangtray!

Let me first agree with you wholeheartedly that the OG Explanations are often WORSE than simply not knowing (they can be ridiculously confusing and I believe they intentionally write them to be opaque)! The question stem does say that n>13, so the discussion of n=9 is just madness :)

As for an easier explanation for this problem, how about the following:

Question Stem:
The long drawn out story is really just asking if N is divisible by M given that M could be 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 or 12. is N a multiple of one of those numbers??

Statement 1:
We know that 3N is divisible by M, but what about just N? Well, that just depends on what impact the 3 is having (if any). This can be a bit tough to see so I'd actually suggest skipping to Statement (2) and coming back...

Statement 2:
We know that 13N is divisible by M, but what about just N? Well, again, this will depend on the impact of the 13. What I mean is - does that 13 help make N divisible by M? Well, let's look at the possible values of M again...3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12... is that 13 divisible by any of those numbers? Well, because 13 is a prime (no factors besides itself and 1), it is NOT divisible by any of the possible values of M. That means that for 13N to be divisible by M, then the N has to do all the work. Put a different way, all of the pieces of M have to be found in the N. That means that N must be divisible by M. [spoiler]Sufficient.[/spoiler]

Statement 1 Revisited:
Okay, so let's return to the idea of 3N divisible by M. It might make a bit more sense now when I ask if 3 is doing any of the work to make 3N divisible by M. For example, if M is equal to something like 6, 9 or 12, then it might be the case that the 3 from 3N is actually helping.

3N/6 = N/2 --> so we only know for sure that N is divisible by 2 (but not our M=6)
3N/9 = N/3 --> so we only know for sure that N is divisible by 3 (but not our M=9)
3N/12 = N/4 --> so we only know for sure that N is divisible by 4 (but not our M=12)

But there are some scenarios where the 3 from 3N wouldn't be helping:

3N/4 = 3N/4 --> we can't reduce, so if this number is an integer, then the N must be divisible by our m=4

So Statement 1 is actually [spoiler]NOT sufficient![/spoiler]

That gives us the correct answer: [spoiler]B.[/spoiler]
Whitney Garner
GMAT Instructor & Instructor Developer
Manhattan Prep

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Math is a lot like love - a simple idea that can easily get complicated :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by [email protected] » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:43 pm
Hi Whitney... Thank You for a wonderful explanation... Frankly speaking I have always loved your explanations in any sum that you have given.. They are very simple to understand, flexible, easy to apply, and interesting in every way... It makes us feel that the difficult questions can be made easy in the GMAT Math.

Thank You once again!!!
IT IS TIME TO BEAT THE GMAT

LEARNING, APPLICATION AND TIMING IS THE FACT OF GMAT AND LIFE AS WELL... KEEP PLAYING!!!

Whenever you feel that my post really helped you to learn something new, please press on the 'THANK' button.