730 (Q51 V39)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:770

730 (Q51 V39)

by simplyjat » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:17 am
I don't have words to explain how pathetic i feel. The score is way lower than any of my expectations. I was consistently scoring 750 above in GMAT prep, and the day before I scored 780 at Manhattan GMAT. And on the D-Day I screwed it all up and ended with 730....

I am just trying to find out the mistakes that degraded my score this much. Hope I can upgrade my score next time. I am planning to take exam again next month. Any suggestion to catapult the score....
simplyjat

by Prasanna » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:12 am
730 by itself is a great score. Congrats. You need to analyze what went wrong on the exam day I guess.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

Re: 730 (Q51 V39)

by gabriel » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:21 am
simplyjat wrote:I don't have words to explain how pathetic i feel. The score is way lower than any of my expectations. I was consistently scoring 750 above in GMAT prep, and the day before I scored 780 at Manhattan GMAT. And on the D-Day I screwed it all up and ended with 730....

I am just trying to find out the mistakes that degraded my score this much. Hope I can upgrade my score next time. I am planning to take exam again next month. Any suggestion to catapult the score....
As Prassana said, 730 itself is an excellent score. A score that puts you well within the range of any top school. If the rest of your profile, like acads, EC's Work Ex. etc, is good then I dont think you need to retake it.

If you do plan to retake it then focus on verbal, you obviously have scored the max. in quant, so pay attention to Verbal.

Regards

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:580

by codesnooker » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:27 am
So finally you have again scheduled your test. Good Luck!!!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by vgmat2 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:25 am
That's wicked score. Can you debrief how you prepared ? or were you a born genius...:)

by simplyjat » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:55 am
Guys sorry to disappoint you. Right now I am concentrating hard to increase my score, as this one is way below my expectation. I had some strategies and right now I am busy devising new strategies, so that I can follow my dreams.

This forum has given me lot and the least I can do is share my experience with others through a debriefing. I owe a debriefing, but please wait for some more time for the debriefing.... Till then just stick to the forum ;)
simplyjat

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by zonda600 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:30 am
Wow, if I have the number 7 in front of my score, I'll be very happy no matter what follows. It will be awhile before I take the test, but I would love to here about your strategies. Good luck on achieving your astounding goal.

re

by stock2007 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:17 am
man.....

will u stop it.. seriously, if i had that score.. i would be writing my essays to hbs.. and just chilling.. throwing those gmat books so far away, that I would not have to see them again.

thank god, for your score.. and move on.

their is no difference between a 730 and a 750 mate.

cheers.

by jamess » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:50 am
As they say, I think you are already qualified for admission at top schools.

What makes a difference now is not the gmat, but the essays. However, if you are looking for scholarships and are agreeable to settling with a 10-20 ranked school, then retaking the test for a higher score makes sense.

james
insead 09
<a href="https://gmatadvice.blocked">gmatadvice.blocked</a>

by simplyjat » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:47 am
So guys, here is why I need to take the test again (in descending order of priority)
1. I know/feel that I am much better than that.
2. My pool (Indian IT Male) is overcrowded with high scorers; at 750 I have 50:50 chances of getting in schools of my choice.

I am not expecting any scholarship, I just want to get a place in school of my choice... Furthermore I think that even if I retake the exam on May 19, I would have plenty of time preparing for the essay.

I was not only let down by score, I was shell shocked. Day before I scored 780 on MGMAT and 790 on GMATPrep

In real GMAT quant, I was getting out of scope questions; one question related to linear in-equalities and another one from advanced 3D geometry. I was getting questions for which required heavy weight calculations and took me more that 3 minutes to solve...
During the break I was sure about 750-790 range as I just screwed the Quant...

In Verbal I received two boldface CRs. The first Boldface CR came as the ninth question. I was sure that I did a good job till now. The sixteenth question are approximately 70+ lines RC, with two or more jargon in each line. And so far I have analyzed that the RC was starting of the end. RC was/is not my forte and I might have completely messed it up....

When I saw the score, the only thing that came to my mind was "RETAKE" as this score is a mistake....
simplyjat

by jamess » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:42 pm
after all, the gmat has some error (standard deviation) in its test for the reason that the test is very dynamic. The same person giving the test (with same level of prep) can expect different scores.

Best of luck for your exam. Hope you get a true assessment of your ability this time.
Check out <a href="https://gmatadvice.blocked">gmatadvice.blocked</a> for useful tips to ace the GMAT.
<a href="https://gmatadvice.blocked/2008/04/ ... tml">ebook on critical reasoning</a> launched.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

bamboozled

by neo_joe » Fri May 16, 2008 11:48 am
I have the same story as Mr SimplyJat

I was getting scores which were consistently above 750 and I got a 780 on MGMAT a couple of times, but then on the test day it all got screwed up.

I want to know if the difference between 730 and 750 really matters to the Top schools?
I have very strong academics and a 3 year work ex with Microsoft.

by mbadrew » Fri May 16, 2008 1:35 pm
simplyjat wrote:Guys sorry to disappoint you. Right now I am concentrating hard to increase my score, as this one is way below my expectation. I had some strategies and right now I am busy devising new strategies, so that I can follow my dreams.

This forum has given me lot and the least I can do is share my experience with others through a debriefing. I owe a debriefing, but please wait for some more time for the debriefing.... Till then just stick to the forum ;)
If your dream is to get into a top school then you can very well achieve it. If your dream is to score a higher score then you can achieve that as well. Best of luck.

D

by ptgbeauregard » Mon May 19, 2008 3:59 pm
That score is above the average for every business school in the US. Do you think a 750...760....770 is going to get you in whereas a 730 won't? I look at it like this -- even if I get an 800, it's not going to make up for the rest of my application being weak. 730 is in the range where you will be rated "strong" in that category for admissions consideration. I would focus on other areas.

But that's just me.
It must have been love...but it's over now!
780 (49Q, 50V)