household labor

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:720

household labor

by singhag » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:47 pm
For many people, household labor remains demanding even if able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle.
(A) even if able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle
(B) despite being able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle
(C) even if they can afford household appliances their grandparents would have found miraculous
(D) although they could afford household appliances their grandparents would find miraculous
(E) even if they are able to afford household appliances which would have been a miracle to their grandparents

[spoiler]OA C which I cant understand if I go by rule book with

if present tense- will + base verb
if past tense- would + base verb
if past perfect tense- would have + base verb

Then A seems best to me ...kindly explain why C[/spoiler]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by vikram_k51 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:19 am
C seems to be the best,

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

hi every one

by siddharth rastogi » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:53 pm
For many people, household labor remains demanding even if able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle.
(A) even if able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle
(B) despite being able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle
(C) even if they can afford household appliances their grandparents would have found miraculous
(D) although they could afford household appliances their grandparents would find miraculous
(E) even if they are able to afford household appliances which would have been a miracle to their grandparents

OA C which I cant understand if I go by rule book with

Then A seems best to me ...kindly explain why C

HERE IS MY UNDERSTANDING OF THE QUESTION:

A, B- can be directly ommited as ther are FRAGMENT, as we do not have any Independent clause in bot of the sentences.( VERB ABLE should have They as its subject)

D - WHY D IS WRON NOT SURE

E- USE WHICH WOULD HAVE BEEN A MIRACLE TO THEIR GRAND PARENT (PASSIVE VOICE) AVOID IT

ACCORDING TO MY UNDER STANDING:

D IS INCORRECT because it uses only WOULD where would have is requried to show prediction BUT would in D refers to past tense.

But C corrects this mistake of D using WOULD HAVE to show prediction.....................

EXPERTS PLEASE CORRECT ME WHERE I AM WRONG .............

by vishal.pathak » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:17 am
singhag wrote:For many people, household labor remains demanding even if able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle.

In the OA

household labor remains demanding - independent clause
they can afford household appliances - independent clause

These are connected using 'Even if'. Is it correct??

Please help

Regards,
Vishal

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Johnkate » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:00 pm
singhag wrote:For many people, household labor remains demanding even if able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle.

Here is my opinion:-

A) Awkward construction - even if able to - who able to?
B) Being + the sentence require would have construction
C) correct - concise + right tense
D) Would have is required.
E) which should refer back to singular noun whereas appliances is plural.
John Kate
-------------------
https://krazzytech.com

Legendary Member
Followed by:32 members
GMAT Score:760

by avik.ch » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:54 pm
vishal.pathak wrote:
household labor remains demanding - independent clause
they can afford household appliances - independent clause

These are connected using 'Even if'. Is it correct??

Please help

Regards,
Vishal
I would say one to be dependent and the other to be independent.

For many people, household labor remains demanding - independent clause
they can afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle - dependent clause

Hope this helps !!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:227 members

by e-GMAT » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:09 am
Hi,

This sentence states that for many people household labor is demanding. This is despite the fact that these people can afford the household appliances. If these appliances existed at the time of their grandparents, the grandparents would have found these appliances miraculous.

Clause 1: For many people, household labor remains demanding
Clause 2: even if able to afford household appliances
Clause 3: their grandparents would find a miracle.

1. Clause 2 of this sentence lacks a subject. From the meaning of the sentence, the subject of this clause should be "people" or pronoun referring to these people. Missing Subject Error.

2. Clause 3 is connected to clause using "that" that has been omitted. Thus, in a way "their grandparents would find a miracle" is describing "household appliances". Thus, miracle should be miraculous - the adjective form.Their grandparents would find "household appliances" miraculous. Modifier Error.

POE

(A) even if able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle: Incorrect for reasons discussed above.

(B) despite being able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle: Incorrect. This choice has modifier error as noted in choice A.

(C) even if they can afford household appliances their grandparents would have found miraculous: Correct.

(D) although they could afford household appliances their grandparents would find miraculous: Incorrect. Verb Tense Error: The sentence is set up in present context of time. Thus, use of "could afford" - past tense is incorrect. Similarly, the verb tense "would find" is incorrect. This verb tense should be "would have verb". This is because the sentence states a hypothetical condition. These appliances did not exist in the times of grandparents. But per the sentence if these appliances had existed at that time, then the grandparents would have found them miraculous. By using "would" verb tense, the sentence now implies that if grandparents saw these appliances being used today, they will find them miraculous.

(E) even if they are able to afford household appliances which would have been a miracle to their grandparents: Incorrect. Use of passive voice makes this choice unnecessary wordy.

1. Every verb in the sentence must have a subject.
2. Appropriate modifier should be used to describe an entity. In this sentence adjective form of "miracle" is required to describe the household appliances.
3. Appropriate verb tense should be used to express the intended meaning of the sentence.

The concepts tested in this sentence have been covered in e-gmat concepts:

1. Level 1: Sentence Structure Par I & II (These concepts feature in Level 1 Preview Concepts section which available for free. Just register and learn.)

@singhag: In this sentence, "their grandparents would have found miraculous" is not following the "if..., then..." construction. This portion is actually playing the role of the modifier to actually modify "household appliances". This portion is actually giving additional information about these household appliances that would have been considered miraculous by the grandparents if they had seen those.

Hope this helps.
Shraddha

by mv12 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:50 pm
I also picked C.