I beat the GMAT on my fifth attempt - 720 (Q49, V39)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:34 members
Dear friends,

Sorry that it took me long time to share my 5th GMAT story. It was mainly because I was overloaded with writing my applications to business schools. At least the whole effort paid off when this week I was notified that I got an interview to Ross. So exciting. So this post is dedicated to all the members in this forum that encouraged, supported, and inspired me along the way. I admire you. Let's start:

My GMAT story is a nightmare. Starting from the end, I took the GMAT exam five times in two years. I endured repeated setbacks and by persevering ultimately conquered the exam, while growing and learning much about myself along the way.

I don't want to describe again all my previous attempts (you can read it here: https://www.beatthegmat.com/610-4th-time ... 91243.html), but I will rather refer to them when comparing my 5th exam's approach with my previous exams' approaches. Before I kicked off my preparation for my 5th exam, I wanted to understand deeply my two major problems: anxiety and my low score on the Verbal (even though I consistently scored high on simulations). This time, for the latter, I decided to do study differently. I wanted to come to the test after I made some changes in the way I think, in the way I approach the exam, and in the way I solve questions. Please note that I am not going to talk about the Quantitative section because I never had problems with it and I scored 50,48,49,49. I only had difficulties with the Verbal section. Having said that, here is a list things I've changed before my last attempt:
  • 1. First and foremost - I contacted the best Verbal private tutor - Irene - who has 25 years of experience preparing students for the Verbal Section and most of her students are beating the 700 score. She is a very interesting woman - a musician who travels around the world for 6 months every year to compose and spread her music, and in the rest she teaches the Verbal section privately. (Irene Contact information: [email protected]). Although Irene teaches via Skype, I preferred to meet her face to face because I wanted her to witness my approaches in action and analyze what I am doing wrong (plus - we live in the same city). At first, she gave me few SC questions to solve and asked me to write detailed solutions with everything that I know. She immediately realized my weaknesses and strengths and decided to customized her course so that it will fit my knowledge base. I can't express how much I value her, so let's summarize that she is just amazing. period.
Now some real insights on the exam. Some she taught me, and some I've figured out myself:
  • 2. Treat the exam as if you don't have the time limitation. In my previous attempts and following many advises by top GMAT tutors here, I tried to answer ALL the questions. Irene told me that this is a WRONG approach especially for international students that don't process English as native speakers, without mentioning even the reading speed. It's more important to answer the first thirty something questions (about 34) with as many correct answers in a row as you can (I can say almost without wrong answers), rather than check the clock all the time and randomly guess questions to meet some timing strategy. I was very skeptic about this approach but after I used it few time in GMAT Prep, I've realized that it actually works. Working on questions without having the time limitation significantly reduced my stress. The last few questions still need to be guessed, but if you follow that approach and you answered most questions correctly, your score won't drop to less than 35. Take a simulation exam without looking at the clock, and leave 2 minutes at the end to guess the last questions left. If you reached question 33-35, you are ready to take the exam. If you reached only 30 - keep practicing the concepts to gain more confident (the speed will come with it).
  • 3. Understand how the GMAT works. For that I used this rule of thumb:
    * Easy questions = huge fine, small bonus.
    * Hard questions = small fine, big bonus.

This means that if you don't answer the easy questions correctly, especially at the beginning, you are going to get a huge fine. i.e. no 700 for you. You have to answer the easy and medium level questions correctly in order to start getting hard ones, otherwise the GMAT won't trust your ability and challenge you with difficult questions. Answering correctly the easy questinos is more important than answering the hard questions correctly. On the contrary, if you approached the hard level of questions, and you answered them correctly, you will get a huge bonus. If you happen to answered them wrong - not big deal - you will get a small fine.

Keep in mind - you have to answer the easy questions correctly.
  • 4. Focus issue - this is one of the best advises I've heard from Irene which I've completely ignored - after the Quant section and the break, the mind loses its focus and your concentration level drops. So when starting the Verbal section, it takes time to gain your focus back. Now, it happened to me in 2 stages of the exam: at the beginning immediately after the break, and around the 12-14 question. This resulted always in wrong answers that dropped my score. Irene told me to just dedicate extra 30-60 seconds to read few times the question and review the answer when I enter this state. Like magic - it solved my careless errors in those stages.
  • 5. Study material - thanks to ronaldramlan and Irene, I've realized that the practice questions of ALL prep companies (yes yes, including Manhattan GMAT, Knewton, MasterGMAT, etc) are just not good! The questions format, mainly in SC and RC, is very different from the real GMAT questions, and when you practice with them, you starting to get used to recognize those patterns, even though they don't appear on the real thing. There are specific patterns according to which the real GMAT SC and RC questions are written (believe me I've analyzed thousands of questions). Irene taught me to work according to specific huge set of rules which helped me gain confidence in my knowledge answer more than 90% of the SC questions correctly. This gave me a huge advantage on the GMAT - usually SC questions considered to be more easy, so I didn't fall on easy questions. So practice only GMAT Prep or official guide questions.
  • 6. Let's drill down a bit:

My approach to SC questions:
    • Before my 5th try, I used to read the entire question and tried to identify the errors and figure out the meaning, etc.
    • After: A big change here - I read ONLY the underlined part and immediately compared it with
      other answer questions to identify the errors tested. I was very skeptical about this
      approach and it took me long time to get used to it, but I've learned that more than 90% of
      the answer choices of GMAC GMAT questions can be grammatically eliminated, before jumping
      into meaning, etc. Be very suspicious about each word location and function in the sentence. You won't believe how man answer choices I've eliminated based on pronoun ambiguity or use of adverb instead of adjective.
    My approach to RC questions:
    • Before my 5th try, I used to read the entire passage and MAP it in my mind (main idea, author POV, purpose, etc). Then I approached the questions and jumped back to the passage to validate my answers or search for information. I didn't write anything during RC question and RC was my toughest area for me to improve.
    • After: my tutor told me the following sentence: after 2 hours of exam and under huge pressure do you really trust your brain to remember tons of unimportant details and understanding everything after reading once a really complex passages? So here another big change - apparently GMAT RC passages have tendency to pose the important information of every paragraph in the first sentence or two (I have to give credit for MasterGMAT that are using this approach, but I didn't listen to them back then). So, I quickly created a table and distilled the important information from the first sentence of each paragraph (not more than few words), and then skimmed the rest of the paragraph to find important transitions/specific information and filled the table with it. General questions - I answered based solely on my table. As for specific questions: I located the relevant area to look for in my table, and moved to read the text accordingly. This way your brain remains fresh and not filled with a lot of unnecessary information. You won't believe how many questions of RC passages focus only on one paragraph, so why spend all your time reading it all?? Again, it took me forever to master this approach, but eventually it really worked.
Lastly - I worked on myself as an individual, adapting steps in my life emphasizing relaxation and tranquility. After my 4th attempt - I was beyond devastated. My friends and family, who supported me along the way, tried to convince me to let go. But I believed in my abilities and I was determined to study an MBA in a top school next year. So I didn't let go, and neither you need to.

In summary, it was a long journey. I am happy to finish with it and I am happy to share it.
I will finish with the words of Napoleon Hill that said: Effort only fully releases its reward after a person refuses to quit.

Feel free to ask any question. I promise to do my best to answer.
eladshush

Just a quick update:

Thank you all for your kind words. Throughout my entire preparation, the members in this forum helped and inspired me so much! All I wanted was to contribute back to the community, so the least I can do is share my story and be as responsive to your kind messages as I can.

Edit:
I have 2 announcement for you:

1. I I've edited my post above to include Irene contact information. So feel free to contact her.
2. In the past couple of months, I've been working on an iPhone GMAT application in partnership with Irene, and some other talented GMAT tutors. This app is going to expose her amazing teaching material and methods along with my learning experience insights, as well as tons of practice questions (2000 Verbal and 2000 Quant). All included in one app. Get ready!! We will launch the application in couple of months from today. I will update soon.

eladshush
Last edited by Elad@Ready4GMAT on Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by pavans13 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:03 am
Above the rest!
Awesome!
Congratulations!

You are a good example of how commitment and hard work pay off. Good luck for your applications.
This is one of those stories that gives hope to others. Even I am down and devastated after my second GMAT scoring very low in Verbal and still thinking whether to give it a try or not for the third time.

by vibhorkhare » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:47 pm
What a success story. HATS OFF to you buddy!

Congratulation!

Eagely waiting to know which college you gonna join.

You are an inspiration. Best of luck!

by smitathakur64 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:06 pm
Congratulations and I hope you get into your dream college.

I am having the same problem. I am getting very bad Verbal scores. I just gave my first GMAT and got V24 on verbal.I want to give it another try but I am not sure where to start.Your story is really encouraging and thanks for sharing it.

Am I using the right materials?The materials I used till now are , Kaplan Verbal Workbook, OG 12 Edition and Kaplan 800 for the verbal section. I know that I need to change my strategies, but what other materials can be helpful for me for the verbal section.

Thanks

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by fareenj » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:23 pm
Congrats and good luck with applications! I've been struggling to improve my score for about a year now, and will re-take the GMATs for the second time in three weeks. I'm struggling more with quant than verbal so if you have tips on quant, please do share. Your story is very encouraging and gives me hope! Thanks for the great tips!

by Elad@Ready4GMAT » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:13 am
Hi all,

Thank you for your kind words. It warms my heart to know that my story helps to inspire others. I was in the same situation and was motivated by success stories of other members of this forum.

fareenj - as a matter of fact I have good tips on the quant that I recommended some of my friends and it worked for them. Register to GMATClub and become a follower of their Quantitative famous moderator - Bunuel - who consistently answers about 5-15 questions a day, providing detailed explanations. You can check his name signature that has links to summaries of many topics in Quant. I think it's the best Quant material you can find - fully detailed, with examples, and it provides many math shortcuts to solve questions, the kind of tricks the GMAT is looking for. Also, GMAT Club provides 25-30 Quant tests, the hardest I've found. Worth every penny.

smitathakur64 - keep it going. I must say that I've never used Kaplan material except for one CAT that I took. I remember that I got 740 (Q50, V41) but I the questions format was very different from that of OG questions. So, I stayed away. Also, my tutor was really against this material. Use OG12 questions. Also, download from GMAT Club the GMAT Prep materials - there are 2 documents with all SC and CR questions from GMAT Prep. And lastly, if you still need questions, you can solve ones from the 1000SC in this forum (or from blogspot). Those are only the questions I would focus.
I used to solve questions in batches of 10s, no time limitation (I did put stopwatch but didn't pay attention to it), and then spent at least half an hour to analyse the question, write detailed explanation for each answer, and review the related concepts if I didn't know something. After doing so, I went over the the questions again, trying to remember how I originally approached it and how I should've approach it after analyzing it. If I answered the question correctly, I verified that I understand why I eliminated answers, and tried to find other errors that I didn't notice before.
If you are consistent with this process, you'll see that your pattern recognition is changing. You notice words/wrong phrases / structures faster.

pavans13 - keep it going. It's worth it in my opinion, and I know many people that took the GMAT at least 3 times and managed to score high.

eladshush

by Elad@Ready4GMAT » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:19 am
Hi all,

Thank you for your kind words. It warms my heart to know that my story helps to inspire others. I was in the same situation and was motivated by success stories of other members of this forum. So I will do my best to contribute to the community here.

fareenj - as a matter of fact I have few good tips on the quant that I recommended some of my friends and it worked well for them. Register to GMATClub and become a follower of their Quantitative famous moderator - Bunuel - who consistently answers about 5-15 questions a day, providing detailed explanations. Every morning I used to get an email with links to the questions he answered and I dedicated 30 min to answer them and verify my solution against his. Also, you can check his name signature that has links to summaries of many topics in Quant. I think this is the best Quant material you may find - fully detailed, with examples, featuring many shortcuts to solve questions, the kind of tricks the GMAT is looking for. Also, GMAT Club provides 25-30 Quant tests, the hardest I've found. Worth every penny.

smitathakur64 - keep it going. I must say that I've never used Kaplan material except for one CAT that I took. I remember that I got 740 (Q50, V41) but I the questions format was very different from that of OG questions. So, I stayed away. Also, my tutor was really against this material. Use OG12 questions. Also, download from GMAT Club the GMAT Prep materials - there are 2 documents with all SC and CR questions from GMAT Prep. And lastly, if you still need questions, you can solve ones from the 1000SC in this forum (or from blogspot). Those are only the questions I would focus.
I used to solve questions in batches of 10s, no time limitation (I did put stopwatch but didn't pay attention to it), and then spent at least half an hour to analyse the question, write detailed explanation for each answer, and review the related concepts if I didn't know something. After doing so, I went over the the questions again, trying to remember how I originally approached it and how I should've approach it after analyzing it. If I answered the question correctly, I verified that I understand why I eliminated answers, and tried to find other errors that I didn't notice before.
If you are consistent with this process, you'll see that your pattern recognition is changing. You notice words/wrong phrases / structures faster.

pavans13 - keep it going. It's worth it in my opinion, and I know many people that took the GMAT at least 3 times and managed to score high.

eladshush

by Preesingh » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:34 pm
Hey Eladshush,

Congratulations!

Can you share Irene Contact Details?

by nadesai » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:59 pm
Hi,
Congratulations on beating the GMAT. Really an inspiring achievement and what a perseverance!! I hope you get into your dream school. All the Best!!

Would you kindly share the RC strategy in detail? I am not good at RC either. I am also used to reading the whole passage. The table method that you are refering to, would it be possible for you to share any link if available?

Thanks very much
and Heartiest Congratulations once again!!

Nadesai

by davidfrank » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:20 pm
Hi,
Congrats!!!! Could you please let me know more about Irene...her fee and how to get in touch with her.

Regards,
Frank

by mvamsee » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:25 pm
Hi, Congrats!!
Could you please share Irene's contact information and her fees. I would really appreciate your quick help.

Thank You,
Mohan.

by charliecharliecharlie » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:48 pm
eladshush - CONGRATS!!!

Hard work paid off. I feel like giving up on the 1st attempt! hah! My verbal score is discouraging me. I am scoring on the 60% percentile.

I was wondering did you started to use any outside source or strictly stuck with GMAT material for your RC improvement? Read the Economist, fiction books. I am having issues concentrating on the topic also as the material is dull.

My biggest problem is SC. I like your approach of just looking for the underlined portion and looking for the wrong answer. Did you keep an error log to look to redo the question you answered wrong? I was wondering what is the best approach to tackle SC.

You didn't mention anything about CR. May you please go into detail for this section?

Apologies for ton of questions. What other suggestions do you have for Quant section? You mention using the gmatclub site, but in terms of materials what would you recommend? People mentioned that some of the manhattan gmat questions were a lot harder than the questions on the exam. I am scoring around the 75% percentile and just wondering what else I should do to improve.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by venmic » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:55 pm
hi

Great post if you still have access to BTG can you help me with my prep please

eladshush wrote:Dear friends,

Sorry that it took me long time to share my 5th GMAT story. It was mainly because I was overloaded with writing my applications to business schools. At least the whole effort paid off when this week I was notified that I got an interview to Ross. So exciting. So this post is dedicated to all the members in this forum that encouraged, supported, and inspired me along the way. I admire you. Let's start:

My GMAT story is a nightmare. Starting from the end, I took the GMAT exam five times in two years. I endured repeated setbacks and by persevering ultimately conquered the exam, while growing and learning much about myself along the way.

I don't want to describe again all my previous attempts (you can read it here: https://www.beatthegmat.com/610-4th-time ... 91243.html), but I will rather refer to them when comparing my 5th exam's approach with my previous exams' approaches. Before I kicked off my preparation for my 5th exam, I wanted to understand deeply my two major problems: anxiety and my low score on the Verbal (even though I consistently scored high on simulations). This time, for the latter, I decided to do study differently. I wanted to come to the test after I made some changes in the way I think, in the way I approach the exam, and in the way I solve questions. Please note that I am not going to talk about the Quantitative section because I never had problems with it and I scored 50,48,49,49. I only had difficulties with the Verbal section. Having said that, here is a list things I've changed before my last attempt:
  • 1. First and foremost - I contacted the best Verbal private tutor - Irene - who has 25 years of experience preparing students for the Verbal Section and most of her students are beating the 700 score. She is a very interesting woman - a musician who travels around the world for 6 months every year to compose and spread her music, and in the rest she teaches the Verbal section privately. (If anyone is interested send me a private message and I will connect you with her). Although Irene teaches via Skype, I preferred to meet her face to face because I wanted her to witness my approaches in action and analyze what I am doing wrong (plus - we live in the same city). At first, she gave me few SC questions to solve and asked me to write detailed solutions with everything that I know. She immediately realized my weaknesses and strengths and decided to customized her course so that it will fit my knowledge base. I can't express how much I value her, so let's summarize that she is just amazing. period.
Now some real insights on the exam. Some she taught me, and some I've figured out myself:
  • 2. Treat the exam as if you don't have the time limitation. In my previous attempts and following many advises by top GMAT tutors here, I tried to answer ALL the questions. Irene told me that this is a WRONG approach especially for international students that don't process English as native speakers, without mentioning even the reading speed. It's more important to answer the first thirty something questions (about 34) with as many correct answers in a row as you can (I can say almost without wrong answers), rather than check the clock all the time and randomly guess questions to meet some timing strategy. I was very skeptic about this approach but after I used it few time in GMAT Prep, I've realized that it actually works. Working on questions without having the time limitation significantly reduced my stress. The last few questions still need to be guessed, but if you follow that approach and you answered most questions correctly, your score won't drop to less than 35. Take a simulation exam without looking at the clock, and leave 2 minutes at the end to guess the last questions left. If you reached question 33-35, you are ready to take the exam. If you reached only 30 - keep practicing the concepts to gain more confident (the speed will come with it).
  • 3. Understand how the GMAT works. For that I used this rule of thumb:
    * Easy questions = huge fine, small bonus.
    * Hard questions = small fine, big bonus.

This means that if you don't answer the easy questions correctly, especially at the beginning, you are going to get a huge fine. i.e. no 700 for you. You have to answer the easy and medium level questions correctly in order to start getting hard ones, otherwise the GMAT won't trust your ability and challenge you with difficult questions. Answering correctly the easy questinos is more important than answering the hard questions correctly. On the contrary, if you approached the hard level of questions, and you answered them correctly, you will get a huge bonus. If you happen to answered them wrong - not big deal - you will get a small fine.

Keep in mind - you have to answer the easy questions correctly.
  • 4. Focus issue - this is one of the best advises I've heard from Irene which I've completely ignored - after the Quant section and the break, the mind loses its focus and your concentration level drops. So when starting the Verbal section, it takes time to gain your focus back. Now, it happened to me in 2 stages of the exam: at the beginning immediately after the break, and around the 12-14 question. This resulted always in wrong answers that dropped my score. Irene told me to just dedicate extra 30-60 seconds to read few times the question and review the answer when I enter this state. Like magic - it solved my careless errors in those stages.
  • 5. Study material - thanks to ronaldramlan and Irene, I've realized that the practice questions of ALL prep companies (yes yes, including Manhattan GMAT, Knewton, MasterGMAT, etc) are just not good! The questions format, mainly in SC and RC, is very different from the real GMAT questions, and when you practice with them, you starting to get used to recognize those patterns, even though they don't appear on the real thing. There are specific patterns according to which the real GMAT SC and RC questions are written (believe me I've analyzed thousands of questions). Irene taught me to work according to specific huge set of rules which helped me gain confidence in my knowledge answer more than 90% of the SC questions correctly. This gave me a huge advantage on the GMAT - usually SC questions considered to be more easy, so I didn't fall on easy questions. So practice only GMAT Prep or official guide questions.
  • 6. Let's drill down a bit:

My approach to SC questions:
    • Before my 5th try, I used to read the entire question and tried to identify the errors and figure out the meaning, etc.
    • After: A big change here - I read ONLY the underlined part and immediately compared it with
      other answer questions to identify the errors tested. I was very skeptical about this
      approach and it took me long time to get used to it, but I've learned that more than 90% of
      the answer choices of GMAC GMAT questions can be grammatically eliminated, before jumping
      into meaning, etc. Be very suspicious about each word location and function in the sentence. You won't believe how man answer choices I've eliminated based on pronoun ambiguity or use of adverb instead of adjective.
    My approach to RC questions:
    • Before my 5th try, I used to read the entire passage and MAP it in my mind (main idea, author POV, purpose, etc). Then I approached the questions and jumped back to the passage to validate my answers or search for information. I didn't write anything during RC question and RC was my toughest area for me to improve.
    • After: my tutor told me the following sentence: after 2 hours of exam and under huge pressure do you really trust your brain to remember tons of unimportant details and understanding everything after reading once a really complex passages? So here another big change - apparently GMAT RC passages have tendency to pose the important information of every paragraph in the first sentence or two (I have to give credit for MasterGMAT that are using this approach, but I didn't listen to them back then). So, I quickly created a table and distilled the important information from the first sentence of each paragraph (not more than few words), and then skimmed the rest of the paragraph to find important transitions/specific information and filled the table with it. General questions - I answered based solely on my table. As for specific questions: I located the relevant area to look for in my table, and moved to read the text accordingly. This way your brain remains fresh and not filled with a lot of unnecessary information. You won't believe how many questions of RC passages focus only on one paragraph, so why spend all your time reading it all?? Again, it took me forever to master this approach, but eventually it really worked.
Lastly - I worked on myself as an individual, adapting steps in my life emphasizing relaxation and tranquility. After my 4th attempt - I was beyond devastated. My friends and family, who supported me along the way, tried to convince me to let go. But I believed in my abilities and I was determined to study an MBA in a top school next year. So I didn't let go, and neither you need to.

In summary, it was a long journey. I am happy to finish with it and I am happy to share it.
I will finish with the words of Napoleon Hill that said: Effort only fully releases its reward after a person refuses to quit.

Feel free to ask any question. I promise to do my best to answer.
eladshush

Followed by:2 members

by Wildbub » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:01 pm
Hello,
Congratulations on your marvelous score. Its in indeed an incredible story.
Could you please email me Irene's contact info?
Thanks a lot

by raj.pahari » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:18 pm
One of the best debrief !

Congratualtion and wish you good luck for your application.