Profile Eval request for Part-time programs

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I took the GMAT a while ago and got a disappointing 620 (AWA 5.0 Q44 V31). The only defense I have is that I had only studied half the amount I wanted to before I took the test; I paid for the GMAT, so I saw little harm in taking it. I am also planning to take the GMAT again in a month and a half.

What are my chances of getting into these part-time programs?

- NYU
- Tepper
- Ross

And my chance of getting into the full-time program:

- Johns Hopkins

Nationality: American
Ethnicity: Asian and Hispanic

Academics

- 3.2 GPA; 3.5 Major GPA
- Triple degree in the Humanities and Social Sciences from U.C. Santa Barbara. Finished in 4 1/3 years.
- Worked full time to pay for college
- First person in my family to go to, and graduate from, college.

University Extracurriculars

- Captain of the Taekwondo team, served as a political liaison for an ethnic student body, was a member of a hip hop dance team.
- Also taught women's self defense, children's martial arts classes, as well as being ranked #2 in the U.S. in judo in my class.

Work Experience (America)

- Nearly 2 years as a manager for a large, well-known psychiatric facility in America.

Work Experience (Japan)

- Editorial and narration work for the largest media outlet in Japan(NHK).
- Worked in sales for a famous language education company in Japan (The second largest in the industry).
- Statistically the top sales performer during my time.
- Became a sales manager (one of the few foreigners in charge of Japanese nationals)
- Currently a sales trainer/sales consultant

Others

- Conversational, near business-level Japanese speaking ability; knowledgeable in Spanish

Thank you.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:18 members

by FutureWorks » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:07 am
Hi nosetothegrindstone,

We would advise you to check online MBA class profile of the given schools. Since you are planning to
reappear in GMAT you chances may improve further.
Apart from that you have a good profile.

So all the very best

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:660

by wmalum2006 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:07 pm
nosetothegrindstone wrote:
What are my chances of getting into these part-time programs?

- NYU
- Tepper
- Ross

And my chance of getting into the full-time program:

- Johns Hopkins

Nationality: American
Ethnicity: Asian and Hispanic

Academics

- 3.2 GPA; 3.5 Major GPA [GMAT of 620 (AWA 5.0 Q44 V31).]
- Triple degree in the Humanities and Social Sciences from U.C. Santa Barbara. Finished in 4 1/3 years.
- Worked full time to pay for college
- First person in my family to go to, and graduate from, college.

University Extracurriculars

- Captain of the Taekwondo team, served as a political liaison for an ethnic student body, was a member of a hip hop dance team.
- Also taught women's self defense, children's martial arts classes, as well as being ranked #2 in the U.S. in judo in my class.

Work Experience (America)

- Nearly 2 years as a manager for a large, well-known psychiatric facility in America.

Work Experience (Japan)

- Editorial and narration work for the largest media outlet in Japan(NHK).
- Worked in sales for a famous language education company in Japan (The second largest in the industry).
- Statistically the top sales performer during my time.
- Became a sales manager (one of the few foreigners in charge of Japanese nationals)
- Currently a sales trainer/sales consultant

Others

- Conversational, near business-level Japanese speaking ability; knowledgeable in Spanish

Thank you.

Michigan PT
https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/ra ... higan.html

Looks like Michigan's PT student body is concentrated toward the Big Three automakers given that it's near Detroit obviously, so you'd be a unique guy in the mix because you're not a car engineer or a pizza marketer (Domino's and Little Caesars). That said, you can see the applicant and incoming class' GMAT pools, and a 620 is in the lower half of applicants (not quite the median), and a 620 is in the 25th percentile of incoming students. You'll have a shot, and your GPA is above average too. I don't want to say you're a safe bet, but I think your background and GMAT as is will get you an interview. If you improve the GMAT, obviously your chances are better.

CMU PT
https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/ra ... ellon.html

At Tepper, you're right below the median of 640 in their last incoming class. There are very few programs where the median undergrad GPA is above 3.5 and I think you have a shot as is, but obviously, the better the GMAT, the better the chances of you getting in.

NYU PT
https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/ra ... stern.html

Median is 660, you're a bit below, and the 10th percentile mark is a 610. Based on last year's class, I think NYU will be the hardest to get into of the three the way it stands right now. But again, the better the GMAT, the more likely you'll get an interview invite.

Hopkins

If you want to go to a school and experience their innovative curriculum, then it could be a big plus down the road, considering that JHU is one of the country's top universities as it is. However for B School, JHU doesn't have that rep right now, and it doesn't have full AACSB accreditation, which may limit your employment prospects some, but then again, this is Johns Hopkins we're talking about here.

I think all you need is a better GMAT, people who will give you good recommendations, solid essays, and then you should be in good shape, possibly for all three. Good luck.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by nosetothegrindstone » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:38 pm
Thank you both!