710- lousy lazeee test taker

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:4 members

710- lousy lazeee test taker

by slysweetbang84 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:03 am
So I am a very lazy person. I just can't seem to open up the OG12 and sit down for an hour. That is such a big ask.
The first time I took GMAT last year in August, I had gone through 40% og OG12, and half of MGMAT Books and I scored a 680, I enrolled in Master GMAT and have gone through 70% of their course and scored a 710 today. The major difference was in verbal where I now stand at 89%ile from 80, 40 from 37. The Quant score increased from 47 to 48. I am a non native speaker and had hit the wall with verbal until I started with Master GMAT. Practice is king here. I did the Master Gmat course (70-80%) in November. I did not touch anything in Dec due to work comittments. Perhaps if I had continued with it, it would have increased my score.

MGMAT is great. All the concepts you need. But if you want to score above 700 you will need to go through the books atleast thrice back to back to learn practice and retain the concepts. Retention is a bit challening given the large amount in the books that could take upto 80 hours on average to consume.
Quant in actual test is more difficult than OG. So do go through OG but take additional practice. Master GMAT was a good resource for me but what I did not do was evaluate my results and do a reactive plan. With an engineering degree and 790/800 in GRE Quant 48 in GMAT Quant is disappointing. I might try again in April after another 60hrs of MasterGmat! lol

Verbal for me only improved with practice and Master Gmat. If you start off with Master GMAT you shall not need SC. I practiced around 1000 questions and you get a lot of practice with concepts. I owe the verbal improvement to Master GMAT.

I wish MasterGMAT people could turn the OG Guide into their system where the concepts and explanations are provided. After using the MasterGMAT I just could not get myself used to opening up the books. The first ten hours on MasterGmat were a difficult transition for me but I got so used to it by the 25th hour that I was using it 5-6 hrs a day and managed to finish 80 hrs in four weeks.

Some other tips: Eat well, take energy drinks and take breaks. I didnot do any of that the first time around.
Dont take a long break between prep and test. Take the test closer to the prep time. 150-200 hrs can take you to 700 scores. Add another 20-60 hrs for every 10 points afterwards. Once you start practice dedicate atleast 1 hr every day to GMAT to maintain the flow. No gaps please!!!!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:31 am
Congratulations on your success!
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by slysweetbang84 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:40 am
thanks!!!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by ariz » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:33 am
slysweetbang84 wrote:if you want to score above 700 you will need to go through the books atleast thrice back to back to learn practice and retain the concepts. Retention is a bit challening given the large amount in the books that could take upto 80 hours on average to consume.

The first ten hours on MasterGmat were a difficult transition for me but I got so used to it by the 25th hour that I was using it 5-6 hrs a day and managed to finish 80 hrs in four weeks.

Dont take a long break between prep and test. Take the test closer to the prep time. 150-200 hrs can take you to 700 scores. Add another 20-60 hrs for every 10 points afterwards. Once you start practice dedicate atleast 1 hr every day to GMAT to maintain the flow. No gaps please!!!!
Your topic is misleading

If you did all of that you really are not that lazy of a person :) your dedication and hard work paid off for you. Congrats!