Possible options with a 680 and 3.0?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Possible options with a 680 and 3.0?

by hollaatgt » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:51 am
I have 3.0 GPA with an Econ degree and business admin minor from a top 40 undergrad school and a 680 GMAT (40v,44q) and a 6.0 on AWA section (91%) I'm graduating in three years this May and although I don't have post-grad work exp I have been working full-time on a commission basis for an IT firm for 2 years and 3 months as a financial adviser/supervisor and recently left to apply for grad school and also extra summer work experience. I also have a misdemeanor DUI on my record about a year and a half ago that I've declared in every application. I also have extracurricular leadership experience and I volunteer at two community service organizations and fluency in two other languages (aside from English). I've applied to 10 schools already, Yale, Vandy, UC Berkeley, UC Irvine, U Maryland, U Texas Austin, Duke, USC, Northwestern, and Georgetown. I sent the applications in before the Round 2/3 deadlines for each school. Should I apply to more schools for the next round or do I have a legit chance of getting into any of these? Thank you

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:18 members

by FutureWorks » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:37 pm
Hi hollaatgt,

If you wish to apply to top business schools then one of the prerequisites is having significant
work experience. Generally candidates have around 4-5 years of full time experience in spite of
several term time projects or jobs; so you may be competing with other candidates who have 4-5
years of full time experience and have started significant initiatives at college.

Hence, we would advise you to gain some full time work experience before you decide to apply for
an MBA.

If you don't wish to do so them, you could look at the HBS 2+2 program or the Yale Silver Scholars
program.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by gmatsa » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:22 am
Any Luck? Your profile is similar but I have a few more years experience. I want to apply to most of teh same schools? I am interested in your outcomes.

Thanks