gmat prep 2

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

gmat prep 2

by jainrahul1985 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:20 pm
It is illegal to advertise prescription medications in Hedland except directly to physicians, either by mail or in medical journals. A proposed law would allow general advertising of prescription medications. Opponents object that the general population lacks the specialized knowledge to evaluate such advertisements and might ask their physicians for inappropriate medications. But since physicians have the final say as to whether to prescribe a medication for a patient, inappropriate prescriptions would not become more common.

Which of the following would it be most useful to establish in order to evaluate the argument?

(A) Whether advertising for prescription medications might alert patients to the existence of effective treatments for minor ailments that they had previously thought to be untreatable
(B) Whether some people might go to a physician for no reason other than to ask for a particular medication they have seen advertised
(C) Whether the proposed law requires prescription-medication advertisements directed to the general public to provide the same information as do advertisements directed to physicians
(D) Whether advertisements for prescription medications are currently an important source of information about newly available medications for physicians
(E) Whether physicians would give in to a patient's demand for a prescription medication chosen by the patient when the one originally prescribed by the physician fails to perform as desired

OA [spoiler]E
I am not able to understand this question . Please explain each option in detail[/spoiler]

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by outreach » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:17 pm
conclusion: inappropriate prescriptions would not become more common since physicians take a final call

A.this statement implies that physicians have not told patients abt the medication

B.if it happens then physicians can say no for such medication and guide them for appropriate medicine

C. it does not matter. still the physicians take a final call

D. Out of scope. we r concerned abt patients influenced by adds rather than physicians

E. this option gives an option where physicians might have to give in to patients demand. the patients over here get info from the advt.
-------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
General blog
https://amarnaik.wordpress.com
MBA blog
https://amarrnaik.blocked/

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:14 am
jainrahul1985 wrote:It is illegal to advertise prescription medications in Hedland except directly to physicians, either by mail or in medical journals. A proposed law would allow general advertising of prescription medications. Opponents object that the general population lacks the specialized knowledge to evaluate such advertisements and might ask their physicians for inappropriate medications. But since physicians have the final say as to whether to prescribe a medication for a patient, inappropriate prescriptions would not become more common.

Which of the following would it be most useful to establish in order to evaluate the argument?

Conclusion: Advertising prescription drugs to patients won't cause inappropriate prescriptions to be written because physicians decide whether to prescribe the medication.

Assumption: The argument assumes that there is no link between what patients want and what doctors prescribe.

To evaluate the argument, we need an answer choice that strengthens or weakens the link between what patients want and what doctors prescribe.
Which answer choice will help us to determine whether doctors will write inappropriate prescriptions?

(A) Whether advertising for prescription medications might alert patients to the existence of effective treatments for minor ailments that they had previously thought to be untreatable. Doesn't connect what patients want to what doctors prescribe. Doesn't help us to determine whether doctors will prescribe inappropriate medications.

(B) Whether some people might go to a physician for no reason other than to ask for a particular medication they have seen advertised This answer tells us that patients might go to the doctor in order to get an advertised medication, but it doesn't help us to determine whether doctors actually will prescribe the medication.

(C) Whether the proposed law requires prescription-medication advertisements directed to the general public to provide the same information as do advertisements directed to physicians. Doesn't help us determine whether doctors will write inappropriate prescriptions.

(D) Whether advertisements for prescription medications are currently an important source of information about newly available medications for physicians. Doesn't connect what patients want to what doctors prescribe. Doesn't help us to determine whether doctors will prescribe inappropriate medications.

(E) Whether physicians would give in to a patient's demand for a prescription medication chosen by the patient when the one originally prescribed by the physician fails to perform as desired. This answer connects what patients want to what doctors prescribe. If doctors prescribe a medication simply because their patients demand it, then advertising drugs to patients might cause inappropriate prescriptions to be written.

The correct answer is E.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:670

by arora007 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:07 pm
Hi Mitch, could you please explain why D is not even in the scope of the answers...
for me it was an answer choice between D and E.

I was targeting "inappropriate prescriptions BECOMING more common" whether it was with the patient's influence or without the patient's influence... is my reasoning wrong..?
https://www.skiponemeal.org/
https://twitter.com/skiponemeal
Few things are impossible to diligence & skill.Great works are performed not by strength,but by perseverance

pm me if you find junk/spam/abusive language, Lets keep our community clean!!

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:20 pm
arora007 wrote:Hi Mitch, could you please explain why D is not even in the scope of the answers...
for me it was an answer choice between D and E.

I was targeting "inappropriate prescriptions BECOMING more common" whether it was with the patient's influence or without the patient's influence... is my reasoning wrong..?
Answer choice D discusses current advertising, which is aimed at physicians. This answer choice is out of scope because the conclusion is about the proposed new advertising aimed directly at patients.

Does this help?
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:18 pm
Received a PM asking me to respond. Looks like Mitch got here first, but I just wanted to add:

Please, for your own benefit, try to explain what you do understand and what you don't understand when posting. Don't just post and say that you don't understand anything (I would bet good money that it isn't true that you didn't understand ANYthing!).

If you want to make the best use of the forums, you need to get into the habit of trying to explain your own thought process, both for things you understand and for things you don't understand. See here for more on this topic:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2010/05/ ... the-forums
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:02 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
jainrahul1985 wrote:It is illegal to advertise prescription medications in Hedland except directly to physicians, either by mail or in medical journals. A proposed law would allow general advertising of prescription medications. Opponents object that the general population lacks the specialized knowledge to evaluate such advertisements and might ask their physicians for inappropriate medications. But since physicians have the final say as to whether to prescribe a medication for a patient, inappropriate prescriptions would not become more common.

Conclusion: Advertising prescription drugs to patients won't cause inappropriate prescriptions to be written because physicians decide whether to prescribe the medication.

Assumption: The argument assumes that there is no link between what patients want and what doctors prescribe.

To evaluate the argument, we need an answer choice that strengthens or weakens the link between what patients want and what doctors prescribe.
Which answer choice will help us to determine whether doctors will write inappropriate prescriptions?

(A) Whether advertising for prescription medications might alert patients to the existence of effective treatments for minor ailments that they had previously thought to be untreatable. Doesn't connect what patients want to what doctors prescribe. Doesn't help us to determine whether doctors will prescribe inappropriate medications.

(B) Whether some people might go to a physician for no reason other than to ask for a particular medication they have seen advertised This answer tells us that patients might go to the doctor in order to get an advertised medication, but it doesn't help us to determine whether doctors actually will prescribe the medication.

(C) Whether the proposed law requires prescription-medication advertisements directed to the general public to provide the same information as do advertisements directed to physicians. Doesn't help us determine whether doctors will write inappropriate prescriptions.

(D) Whether advertisements for prescription medications are currently an important source of information about newly available medications for physicians. Doesn't connect what patients want to what doctors prescribe. Doesn't help us to determine whether doctors will prescribe inappropriate medications.

(E) Whether physicians would give in to a patient's demand for a prescription medication chosen by the patient when the one originally prescribed by the physician fails to perform as desired. This answer connects what patients want to what doctors prescribe. If doctors prescribe a medication simply because their patients demand it, then advertising drugs to patients might cause inappropriate prescriptions to be written.

The correct answer is E.
Dear Mitch, I need your help.

I do not branstorm the assumption like your assumption. Instead, I brainstorm assumption that physicians are alway good.

Did you brainstorm your assumption before going to answer choices? How do you brainstorm the right assumption? Please, write down the steps of your thoughts. Thank you very much.

by ArunangsuSahu » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:05 am
CR says : Physicians have final Say:
What happens if Physicians prescription fails?

(E) is that

Followed by:1 members

by Sharma_Gaurav » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:40 am
only answer choice E provides a reason to evaluat the argument.
As argument asumes that the physicians will always have the final say regarding the prescription even if the patients first found them out in public advertisement.
option E gives a reason to break this thought - which says , if physicians give in to the demand of patients, then that will fail the argument that advertising does not cause any harm . and it will strengthen the opponents view point.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by [email protected] » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:41 am
Thank you! GMATguru for a wonderful explanation!!!
IT IS TIME TO BEAT THE GMAT

LEARNING, APPLICATION AND TIMING IS THE FACT OF GMAT AND LIFE AS WELL... KEEP PLAYING!!!

Whenever you feel that my post really helped you to learn something new, please press on the 'THANK' button.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by shivani.magan » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:13 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:

The correct answer is E.

Hi Mitch , I have question regarding this post . I marked ans choice B because the argument says that the doctor will have a final say in prescribing the drugs . Ans choice B says Whether some people might go to a physician for no reason other than to ask for a particular medication they have seen advertised.
Now if some patients don't go to the doctor for just asking about a medication that they have seen advertised than the argument that the doc will have a final say falls apart. The patients won't go to the doctor and so can take any good/harmful drug . What am i assuming wrong here?

Followed by:5 members

by Anaira Mitch » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:20 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:

The correct answer is E.
Hello Mitch,

Can we deploy negation strategy to solve evaluate questions?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:40 am
Anaira Mitch wrote:Hello Mitch,

Can we deploy negation strategy to solve evaluate questions?
The negation test is not recommended for Evaluate CRs.
It can be applied to Assumption CRs and Inference CRs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3