need a 570 - how hard is this to achieve

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

need a 570 - how hard is this to achieve

by texas76177 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:45 pm
The school that I applied to stated that I need a 570+ on the GMAT to be competitive for admission. This is based on a review of my grades, transcripts, etc stuff.

I have not taken the test yet and just wanted to get a feel for "how hard" it will be to make this score.

Thanks everyone....

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:255 members
GMAT Score:750

by Brian@VeritasPrep » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:36 pm
Hey Texas,

Good question - that 570 is a little bit above the current average score of around 540, so probably around 45% or so of test-takers score 570. So the answer is "fairly hard but nowhere near impossible" for the general population...but what really matters is how hard it will be for you.

I'd recommend taking a free practice test at www.mba.com to get a feel for the test and where you'd score if you had to take it this week. If you're within striking distance, self-study a little, pay attention to your mistakes, and then take another practice test in a week or two to get an even better feel for whether you think 570 is comfortable. If not, or if your couple weeks of study doesn't get you too close, then you may want to start putting together a more comprehensive study plan.

One other thing worth thinking about - if a school would accept you at 570, there's a fair shot that you could be looking at scholarship money in the 650+ range, so you may want to ask about that even if you find that 570 is a pretty comfortable zone for you already.
Brian Galvin
GMAT Instructor
Chief Academic Officer
Veritas Prep

Looking for GMAT practice questions? Try out the Veritas Prep Question Bank. Learn More.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by texas76177 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:04 pm
Brian

Thank you for your reply. I intend to study and prepare very well, and hopefully score above and beyond 570. I guess my question (as a newbie) was how attainable was a 570 in the first place.

I feel a little more relaxed now.

Thanks again, take care